anon99

How Much Evidence of Relationship at Embassy?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

As our embassy appointment approaches I'm wondering how much evidence of an ongoing relationship we need? USCIS clearly believed our relationship was genuine, so I'm assuming now we just need proof that we have continued together in the meantime?

I live in my fiancé's country with him. Here's what we have for evidence:

• Letters of intention to marry from both of us
  • My residency visa showing that I live in his country
  • Passport stamps and boarding passes showing that I visited the States for a week in February but then came back and have been here since
  • Our rental contract with both names (sent with original I-129F petition)
  • Rent payment receipts from past few months
  • Text messages (one per month)
  • Photos of us together (one per month)

Does that look like enough? I could get affidavits from family/friends if that'd help...

Thanks!

If you would fill the country it would help us to give you more in depth information. Seems like you have sufficient evidence. What about I-134, since you leave overseas you don't have US domicile or income. Do you have a sponsor aligned and a place to go to when you move back to the US?

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

If you would fill the country it would help us to give you more in depth information. Seems like you have sufficient evidence. What about I-134, since you leave overseas you don't have US domicile or income. Do you have a sponsor aligned and a place to go to when you move back to the US?

Thanks. Yes, I have the I-134 for myself and we have co-sponsors that filled out the I-134 and I-864. I also have a number of documents proving my domicile in the States (you can live abroad and still maintain domicile). I have a mailing address in the States (my parents house) and I currently work remotely from wherever I am and have a letter from my boss saying that I can continue working from the States. The above list is definitely not all that I have! It's just the relationship stuff that I was less certain about... Thanks again!

(sorry would rather not fill in country or any personal info... I got stung before and am cautious now)

Honestly it looks fine, but it helps to know what country you're interviewing in as some embassies are much more strict than others. For an easy-normal embassy I think you're fine.

Thanks! I'd rather not say the country, but it's not considered high-fraud or more strict.

Edited by anon99

Thanks. Yes, I have the I-134 for myself and we have co-sponsors that filled out the I-134 and I-864. I also have a number of documents proving my domicile in the States (you can live abroad and still maintain domicile). I have a mailing address in the States (my parents house) and I currently work remotely from wherever I am and have a letter from my boss saying that I can continue working from the States. The above list is definitely not all that I have! It's just the relationship stuff that I was less certain about... Thanks again!

(sorry would rather not fill in country or any person info... I got stung before and am cautious now)

Thanks! I'd rather not say the country, but it's not considered high-fraud or more strict.

While you seems to be fine with the evidence you have.

As was stated earlier it would be fine for normal country, however high fraud countries can be more strict, and you should prepeare for it.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

(sorry would rather not fill in country or any personal info... I got stung before and am cautious now)

It's very hard to help without knowing the specific consulate you will be dealing with. If it's not high fraud or strict, then you should be fine.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

As our embassy appointment approaches I'm wondering how much evidence of an ongoing relationship we need? USCIS clearly believed our relationship was genuine, so I'm assuming now we just need proof that we have continued together in the meantime?

• The evidence of a relationship means a romantic relationship that intends to lead to marriage. The following items are nothing but a proof of having a visa, living in a country and having a joint rental.
  • Passport stamps and boarding passes showing that I visited the States for a week in February but then came back and have been here since
    The following are good but much seems to be lacking. How about a letter describing your relationship and timeline and then using references to the text messages and photos to help corroborate your description. No gift receipts? or emails? or letters or cards?....Why not? You need to generate various types of evidences so that a complete stranger (the CO) can see you two have a legit relationship. Start now.

Does that look like enough? I could get affidavits from family/friends if that'd help...

Not really; with a small consideration, I'd write an affidavit for you and I don't even know you guys!

Thanks!

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

baron555 - Thanks for your suggestions. In our original I-129F petition I included a letter describing our relationship (a timeline) plus more evidence. Is it necessary to repeat that? I'll have all those original documents with me.

No, we don't have emails or letters because we live together. That's kind of the point of the rent stuff - to show that our interactions are in-person not via email, skype, etc. I have text message screen shots as that's one way that we communicate in written form... pretty much the only way, though.

Edited by anon99

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Your profile, if it's honest, says Bolivia, which isn't known as a tough consulate.

If you're deceiving us (whatever your motive), then we can't be of best help to you.

Normally, living with one's significant other is excellent (no-brainer) evidence of a bona fide relationship.

You say that your consulate is "not high-fraud or more strict," which indicates that you have an idea of what evidence might suffice. Have you read the "embassy info" and reviews for your consulate, paying particular attention to the very WORST of the reports?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Montenegro
Timeline

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi,I will have an intrview within 6 days and I'm gonna bring every single picture that we are together on,Trip tickets,airplane tickets,bills from our honeymoon that shows that we were together all the time.I think you got my point,bring everything that you have ,it's better to have more then less and I think they're gonna appreciate it.Hope that helps.Good luck to you ! :thumbs:

Edited by Repaje

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Well, I also live in my fiance's country with him and when we go to his interview, we will also be bringing our rental agreement with both of our names, receipts for the rent payment, etc. BUT we also plan on bringing things that show we have a romantic relationship: cards (yes we live together but my fiance and I still give each other cards/letters for holidays and birthdays; I think that's part of being in a relationship!), pictures (we take a lot of pictures so no problem there), receipts from gifts that we bought each other, etc. I think I'm going to have his mom write an affidavit, as well as my parents even though they haven't met him yet, and maybe my sister (who did meet him). We are also planning a trip at the beginning of June (YAY! FINALLY!) so I'm going to keep many things from that as well. I want to show that, yes, we live together but we aren't "roommates" - we are a couple! So think about that, too.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.