meadowzephyr

Social Security Number

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A K-1 visa holder has yet to enter the US. Once the K-1 visa holder has entered the US, the K-1 visa has served it's purpose and is now null and void, so a K-1 visa holder is never work eligible. The immigrant is now legally in the states for 90 days based on their I-94 that they received at the POE, and yes, technically they are eligible to apply for an EAD, but as you stated, the point is moot due to the time it takes to obtain one.

He was not trying to work at all. We simply wanted the SSN for business purposes and "just in case purposes." Technically though,former K-1 Visas holders who have entered the US ARE eligible to obtain a work permit. However, its generally not possible due to the length of time it takes to get approval and due to the fact that its only valid while the I-94 is still valid.

K-1 Visa Journey

December 8, 2009 - Met in Monterrey, Mexico
December 28, 2010 - Officially started dating!
July 2,2011 - He proposed in Downtown Monterrey, Mexico, I accepted
September 16, 2011 - Mailed I-129F Application
September 19, 2011 - I-129F arrived at Dallas Lockbox
September 22, 2011 - NOA1
September 24, 2011 - Check cashed!
September 26, 2011 - NOA1 hard copy arrived in the mail
January 3, 2012 - NOA2 email and text message!
January 6, 2012 - NOA2 Hardcopy arrived in the mail.
February 16, 2012 - Packet 3 (invitation letter) arrives in the mail.
March 12, 2012 - ASC Appointment
March 15, 2012 - Interview at Consulate in CDJ.
March 15, 2012 - Approved!
April 18, 2012 - POE - Houston, Texas
June 9, 2012 - Married!

Adjustment of Status Journey
July 26, 2012 - Mailed AOS Application
August 1, 2012 - NOA1
August 2, 2012 - Received Biometrics Letter
August 16, 2012 - Received Hard Copy of NOA1
August 23, 2012 - Biometrics
September 25, 2012 - Approved I131
September 25, 2012 - EAD/AP Combo Card sent to production
October 3, 2012 - EAD/AP Combo Card Arrived

April 29, 2013 - AOS Approved Without Interview!

May 6, 2013 - Card arrived in the mail

ROC Journey

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our experience with the social security office was stupid and malicious employees not knowing how to do anything, trying hard every time to get rid of us. You have to get a supervisor or even go to a different social security office that has employees that know what they are doing. You have to print out what you were shown, yes, to prove you have the right to get a SSN because the only thing on their minds is when does break time come and how much enjoyment they get out of seeing you stressed out from denying you a number. I wont detail the nightmare we went through, but even after she got the green card they still tried to stop her from getting a SSN and it was only because a brand new Russian immigrant started working there that we were able to get a number for her. The senior employee still tried to stop her, but the Russian immigrant stood her ground and did it for us.

When they appear at judgement day, they will be turned into tapeworms and fed to chickens, so be of good cheer.

Edited by rlogan

A K-1 visa holder is NOT work eligible PERIOD!

According to the SSA, a K1 visa holder is a Legal alien allowed to work. Scroll down this link to the list of visas until you find K1 and read what it says. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 They can have a SSN married , unmarried, with or without work permit for the first 76 days they are in the country (2 weeks before the I-94 expires). A K1 needs their passport with visa, and their I-94 card. After 76 days, you need an EAD card.

You have to get a supervisor or even go to a different social security office that has employees that know what they are doing. You have to print out what you were shown, yes, to prove you have the right to get a SSN .

:thumbs: Yes, do this

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

the 'ssa lady' is an idiot .

go back, get the boss, try again, on monday ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

According to the SSA, a K1 visa holder is a Legal alien allowed to work. Scroll down this link to the list of visas until you find K1 and read what it says. https://secure.ssa.g.../lnx/0110211530 They can have a SSN married , unmarried, with or without work permit for the first 76 days they are in the country (2 weeks before the I-94 expires). A K1 needs their passport with visa, and their I-94 card. After 76 days, you need an EAD card.

You've misread the chart. A person who has entered the US on a K-1 visa is eligible to work with a valid I-94 card. A K-1 visa gets you into the country, the I-94 is what makes you eligible to work, once the immigrant enters the country, the K-1 visa is no longer valid. Please see the chart at the top of your link, it lists the required documents needed to be eligible to work, a K-1 visa is not one of them. The chart that lists the K-1 visa is simply the class of admission, which does not make one eligible to work.

You will also notice on that page that it says the following above the chart listing the class of admission:

When the alien presents an EAD, check the CITIZENSHIP FIELD “Legal alien allowed to work”

A K-1 visa holder does not posess an EAD, that requires the I-94, therefor a K-1 visa holder cannot legally work.

Edited by Teddy B

Agree a K1 can't work until DHS says so. I thought we were discussing getting a SSN. Do you agree a K1 can get a SSN because the SSA classifies them as "legal alien allowed to work"? And legal alien allowed to work is what to put on the application form? Just trying to get on the same page with you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Agree a K1 can't work until DHS says so. I thought we were discussing getting a SSN. Do you agree a K1 can get a SSN because the SSA classifies them as "legal alien allowed to work"? And legal alien allowed to work is what to put on the application form? Just trying to get on the same page with you.

You quoted my saying that a K-1 visa holder is not work eligible. I never mentioned the SSN in that statement.

A K-1 can get an SSN for non-work purposes with a valid I-94, but is not eligible to work without an EAD. You can put whatever you want on the form, it still doesn't change the fact that they cannot work without an EAD.

You can read about it here if you'd like.

My link

Edited by Teddy B

Sorry I quoted you. I understand work authorization by the DHS. This isn't my first rodeo. Went through the K1 process already and I am not disagreeing with you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Sorry I quoted you. I understand work authorization by the DHS. This isn't my first rodeo. Went through the K1 process already and I am not disagreeing with you.

No problem, it's very confusing, especially when it appears that SSA is telling you one thing and USCIS is saying something completely different. That link you posted for SSA had me wondering for a minute if something had changed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.