minnie&mike

Can I get tourist visa during wait fiance visa?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My Chinese fiance tried to get a tourist visa to visit me before we were engaged. She had just finished school and hadn't gotten a job yet so for us it was a perfect time for her to visit. I sent her an invitation letter and all and we documented our relationship. In the end her interview lasted about 5 minutes with them basically telling her the USA views someone in her position as a flight risk. Of course overstaying such a tourist visa would be silly as it would jeopardize future visa efforts.

That's just what happened to me, I'm not sure if being in the process of getting the fiance visa would help or hinder you. I thought my case would be a shoe-in for the tourist visa but we were denied almost instantly based on our relationship.

2010-07-15 - Met in China as graduate students, began dating
2011-10-03 - Engagement proposal, 2 week visit to China
2011-12-10 - I-129F Sent
2011-12-21 - I-129F NOA1, Notice Date
2012-04-18 - Larry visits Xinji and family for 12 days in China
2012-04-24 - I-129F NOA2, Notice Date
2012-05-10 - NVC Left
2012-05-25 - Packet 3 Received
2012-05-29 - Packet 3 Sent
2012-06-07 - Packet 4 Received
2012-07-02 - Interview Date - Approved
2012-07-07 - Visa Received
2012-07-18 - US Entry - Newark
2012-08-12 - Married
2012-08-23 - Date Filed I-485 (AOS), 765 (EA), 131 (AP)
2012-09-21 - Biometrics Appointment
2012-10-26 - Approved Date for EA and AP
2012-11-05 - Date EA and AP Combo Card Received

2013-07-25 - Informed online green card was ordered to be produced (no interview)

2013-08-02 - Permanent resident card received

Filed: Timeline

There's no law against it, and it's fully legal to visit the US with a petition or visa pending. Getting the visa is quite another issue. If you can prove strong enough ties to Thailand.. Basically reasons why you absolutely must return home, you may have a shot.

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi, Everyone. I have some question. Can I get tourist visa during I'm waiting for fiance visa?

Thank you for your answers. :-)

Welcome to the forum.

This is a very often asked question. At the tourist visa interview, the tourist has to give the consulate officer compelling reasons that you will return home after your visit. These reasons may include such things as, family, money, job, property. Depending on the country, it may be very difficult to obtain a tourist visa.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

If you are the USC then that is not a problem as long as you meet the requirements of getting a tourist visa to that country. If you are the foreign beneficiary it depends first on the country you live in and second how you can show ties to your home country now that you have a financ(e) in the US. All tourists must prove to the IO that they will leave the US and return home. If entering on the VWP you must convince the CBP person you will leave the US or they will not let you in. It is the same for all B1/B2 visa holders--it is just now you are adding a reason for staying in the US that must be overcome.

You can try as all you will lose is the visa fee.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, Everyone. I have some question. Can I get tourist visa during I'm waiting for fiance visa?

I wouldn't even bother trying.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is almost impossible to do when you are dealing with Thailand. Your pending petition shows intent to immigrate so there is no way to prove you wont simply stay inside the USA.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Below is a very good thread with experiences of people visiting on tourist VISAs while awaiting K-1's :

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/

Our Journey:

10/02/2011: Met while working in Afghanistan
10/15/2011: First "date"
01/03/2012: Hired an attorney to file our K-1
02/05/2012: He returned to Macedonia
02/29/2012: My first visit to Skopje
03/03/2012: Met my future family
03/15/2012: I-129F package mailed / returned to Afghanistan
03/19/2012: Received notification of arrival of I-129F
03/21/2012: NOA1 mailed
07/15/2012: 2nd trip to Skopje
09/20/2012: NOA2 notice
10/05/2012: Attorney Received Case number from NVC
10/25/2012: Received packet 3 ( the same time I left on my flight back to the US)
11/06/2012: Medical Scheduled
11/15/2012: Interview - Denied due to "lack of proof of relationship"
11/27/2012; 2nd Interview scheduled - APPROVED!
11/29/2012: VISA IN HAND!
11/30/2012: POE NYC-JFK
12/12/2012: WEDDING!!!

02/26/2013: I-485 Filed

09/10/2013: Green card received NO INTERVIEW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Below is a very good thread with experiences of people visiting on tourist VISAs while awaiting K-1's :

http://www.visajourn...-you-can-visit/

Actually, the post you quoted, while it is on topic, is slightly different from the question asked. Most people from that post are talking about their experience being from Visa Waiver country or people who already had B2 visas.

The OP doesn't have a B2 visa yet and, while they can always try to get it (because it will not have an impact of their K1 application even if denied), most likely, the Embassy won't grant it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.