mtlbk

Starting My Visa Journey TODAY! - Hopefully..

64 posts in this topic

Finished school, no job, lives at home with her parents... so nothing is "allowing" her, its more like nothing is holding her back.

Just trying to prepare you for the chance that someone begins to question her frequent visits. Ties to the home country are important, what would she bring?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

interesting.. but what makes someone "living" anywhere? legal address? job? school? i don't know.. hmm... could be tricky. Technically she is still living in canada. Her shoes are there LOL

Ahh you are pretty much in the same boat as me. Your about a month ahead.. How do you deal with the extended visits.. did they turn up to be an issue for you?

He has not been allowed to enter the US yet because he could not prove sufficient ties to Canada to out weigh the fact that we are engaged. I however travel there frequently and I am now starting to get questioned more and more at the land port of entry. They are wanting more documents for me to be able to enter as it looks as though I am trying to be there more than here.

Only problem I have seen was that once border patrol knew I was visiting my fiance, the need for more documentation arose for me to enter Canada.

Live for today because you never know what tomorrow will bring!

01/28/2010: Met on Evony online game

02/23/2011: Started dating

08/09/2011: First meeting in Canada

10/03/2011: I went to Canada for a visit

02/03/2012: I went to Canada for a visit

02/10/2012: Got engaged

02/11/2012: He was denied entry to US & sent back for more documents

02/12/2012: Denied entry again even with documents

02/13/2012: I returned home

04/21/2012: Mailed K-1 visa petition

04/24/2012: Certified mail delivery confirmation

04/27/2012: Check cashed

04/27/2012: E-mail notification of receipt of petition

04/29/2012: NOA1 received!

08/07/2012: Received e-mail notification of RFE

09/07/2012: Finally able to send back info for RFE

09/17/2012: NOA2 APPROVED!!!

waiting......

Filed: Timeline

Just trying to prepare you for the chance that someone begins to question her frequent visits. Ties to the home country are important, what would she bring?

Im not sure.. I will need to speak to her and review what she can actually show. what are some things that show a "tie" aside from those we already mentioned?

He has not been allowed to enter the US yet because he could not prove sufficient ties to Canada to out weigh the fact that we are engaged. I however travel there frequently and I am now starting to get questioned more and more at the land port of entry. They are wanting more documents for me to be able to enter as it looks as though I am trying to be there more than here.

Only problem I have seen was that once border patrol knew I was visiting my fiance, the need for more documentation arose for me to enter Canada.

It seems like the person who should do the traveling to visit the other might need to be the one with more ties to their home country. It appears in this case that i will need to start visiting her much more often since i have a job, apartment, car lease etc. Hmmm

Edited by mtlbk

-A

TIMELINE:

5/8/2012: Signed up to VJ.com

Acceptable ties are what I listed - things that would prove she isn't abandoning residence.

An employment or school letter, a lease, return tickets, bills. Something she could show to border patrol that would prove she can't just be going to the US to stay for good, that she would need (and is expected) to come back.

I'm not saying it will cause a big problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if she started getting questioned more and got a denial or two. Like I said, no impact on your visa, but still annoying and pretty scary, sometimes.

If you can do the traveling, that would eliminate any worry.

Edited by Coconuts

Acceptable ties are what I listed - things that would prove she isn't abandoning residence.

An employment or school letter, a lease, return tickets, bills. Something she could show to border patrol that would prove she can't just be going to the US to stay for good, that she would need (and is expected) to come back.

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you! i need to brain storm

-A

TIMELINE:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im not sure.. I will need to speak to her and review what she can actually show. what are some things that show a "tie" aside from those we already mentioned?

What we were told was... a rental agreement or proof of owning property, job records showing he owns property, school enrollment, anything that shows that he had reason to go back.

We returned with documents of a rental agreement, bank statements, letters from the ministry where he volunteers, appointments that he had coming up that he had to come back for. We may have been told wrong, but he was again denied entry stating that because we were in a relationship that made it more risky for him to enter the US and actually stay. Border patrol told him to "go back to Canada get a job for 2 years, buy a house, and become a viable citizen there before ever thinking of coming to the US". Very harsh in my books but that is what sent us to look for different options and led me to VJ and filing for a K1.

Live for today because you never know what tomorrow will bring!

01/28/2010: Met on Evony online game

02/23/2011: Started dating

08/09/2011: First meeting in Canada

10/03/2011: I went to Canada for a visit

02/03/2012: I went to Canada for a visit

02/10/2012: Got engaged

02/11/2012: He was denied entry to US & sent back for more documents

02/12/2012: Denied entry again even with documents

02/13/2012: I returned home

04/21/2012: Mailed K-1 visa petition

04/24/2012: Certified mail delivery confirmation

04/27/2012: Check cashed

04/27/2012: E-mail notification of receipt of petition

04/29/2012: NOA1 received!

08/07/2012: Received e-mail notification of RFE

09/07/2012: Finally able to send back info for RFE

09/17/2012: NOA2 APPROVED!!!

waiting......

What we were told was... a rental agreement or proof of owning property, job records showing he owns property, school enrollment, anything that shows that he had reason to go back.

We returned with documents of a rental agreement, bank statements, letters from the ministry where he volunteers, appointments that he had coming up that he had to come back for. We may have been told wrong, but he was again denied entry stating that because we were in a relationship that made it more risky for him to enter the US and actually stay. Border patrol told him to "go back to Canada get a job for 2 years, buy a house, and become a viable citizen there before ever thinking of coming to the US". Very harsh in my books but that is what sent us to look for different options and led me to VJ and filing for a K1.

Sounds like the border patrol was in a really bad mood that day. Very Harsh!!

-A

TIMELINE:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are on your way, do not get too frustrated, this process is slow and hopefully steady.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I personally would have gone with the IR1/CR1.

- Both take basically the same time.

- IR1/CR1 is cheaper.

- after filing either one there is a chance of denial at the border.

- if CR1 she will have green card/be able to work almost instantly.

What am I confused about? Why is the K-1 a better choice?

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

OK so in front of me now i have:

1. "I am a US citizen - How Do I... Help my fiance become a U.S. Permanent Resident?"

2. "K1 Process Flow Chart"

3. "Instructions for Form I-129F"

4. "Step by Step guide on how to file for a K-1 visa for your foreign Fiance"

5. a cup of coffee

Am i missing anything...

Only thing I would add is a little Baileys to the coffee....

:rofl:

sorry, we are on our second try and am happy taking things seriously but giving way for humor. Tough process, not for the week of heart..

Enjoy the time getting to know each. We have gone back and forth many times and I stay for a couple of months at a time, but NEVER put myself in an overstay situation.

All the best.

Terri

Edited by at long last

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

- IR1/CR1 is cheaper.

I don't speak for anyone else but myself and my fiancé, but we went with the K-1 because we'd rather have the time spent apart upfront rather than after we get married. Cost isn't really an issue to me and I make enough to support the both of us (plus my cat) while waiting for the AOS/EAD process, so his not working isn't an issue, either. Besides, I'd rather he come here with the time to get used to long-term American life before jumping right into the job search game.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

- IR1/CR1 is cheaper.

It all depends on when you want to be separated. Before or after marriage. And if working isn't a big deal, it's kind of nice to come to America and not immediately have to look for a job. I cherished the time I had to get used to my new surroundings and get settled here before I was able to go to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So... My name is Al and i live in New York. A little over a year ago i met my future wife. She is the love of my life. Anyway.. we started dating and things got serious, which is awesome. We got engaged on January 29th. Heres the catch shes canadian and im american!!! NOW WHAT?!?!?!

Well, we want to live in New York and we travel often back and forth. I go there for a few days and she comes here for a few days. Today i started doing research online on how to legally make her a citizen.

Here were my initial questions:

What if we spontaneously decided to get married while she is visiting me can we go to city hall and make that happen? Is that a better way?

If we decide to go through the paperwork will i be able to keep visiting each-other (in other words can we travel freely between Canada and the US)?

It appears that the correct way to move forward would be to file a I-129F for a K1 visa. But then what? Can we see each other at all? if so, are there restrictions?

Can anyone help me out?

My fiance' lives in Scotland and we were debating the same thing. We decided that we would go with the fiance' visa (the i-129f) because it would work best to get him here permanently faster. After our petition my daughter and I went to visit him for a month and was only asked a few questions because it was holiday season so they understood a lot of people traveling for Christmas. So.. After I returned from my month trip 3 weeks later he came to stay with me for 3 months. He did have to give his job notice seeing he would be gone for so long.. so we were worried since he didn't have proof of "ties" to his home country. They did pull him aside and ask him a lot of questions…. He had a bank statement saying the amount of money he had and that was basically all. He told them about the fiance' petition that was filed. They asked him if his intentions were to come marry me and how could he prove it… He said that he just visited me in October and we could have done it then but we are trying to go the appropriate route. They sent him on his way with no more questions. So.. I think if you do get married and then travel back and forth she may have a lot of trouble getting in the U.S. (my opinion only) I do think that the government wants us to ask them permission first…. they are kinda our parents… saying "hey mom and dad… I want to get married lets plan a wedding"… is different than saying.. "Mom and dad… we just went and got married I hope he can stay" … But again… my opinion. :) Good luck in whichever route you decide to go. My vote is for the I-129 and continue visiting each other as often as possible. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.