justicejs

Quick question about when to book wedding stuff..

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

When you get your Visa, do you have to enter the USA right away? Or could you stay in your home country for a few months to book your wedding venue, etc.

I know you have 3 months once you enter the states to get married, but 3 months doesn't seem long enough to make solid wedding plans.

Justice & Coty - met online 2006, engaged February 8, 2012. :)

IMG_1752.jpg

"Love is our weapon"

June 11, 2012 - Mailed petition.

You're limited by the expiration date on the visa and the date of the medical. You get 90 days to get married when you arrive. The medical cannot be over a year old. You also need a medical that is not over 12 months when you adjust status. Getting a new medical with a CS can be expensive, and the fee for the AOS is high enough as it is. Many people go for a quick wedding when doing the K-1, then plan a more formal affair later on. My wife an I threw together a wedding in one month, it was rushed, it was somewhat simple, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty nice to. It helped we had our wedding garments, made before she got here.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

When you get your Visa, do you have to enter the USA right away? Or could you stay in your home country for a few months to book your wedding venue, etc.

I know you have 3 months once you enter the states to get married, but 3 months doesn't seem long enough to make solid wedding plans.

You have six months to use the visa and 90 days after entering the US.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're limited by the expiration date on the visa and the date of the medical. You get 90 days to get married when you arrive. The medical cannot be over a year old. You also need a medical that is not over 12 months when you adjust status. Getting a new medical with a CS can be expensive, and the fee for the AOS is high enough as it is. Many people go for a quick wedding when doing the K-1, then plan a more formal affair later on. My wife an I threw together a wedding in one month, it was rushed, it was somewhat simple, it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty nice to. It helped we had our wedding garments, made before she got here.

:thumbs:

If you are planning a big wedding you can always get married at the courthouse and file for AOS quickly after. You can then plan for a non-legal ceremony with friends/relatives at your leisure. Plus you get two anniversaries to celebrate! :devil:

we did a JP wedding first then did the "wedding with reception" thing after we had time to plan it, that way you fulfill the requirement to get married within 90 days but do no feel rushed to plan your wedding afterwards

June 2006 Met on Myspace
Sep 21 2007 Proposed and she accepted
Dec 9 2007 Arrived in Manila
Dec 15 2007 Returned home, very sad day
Dec 21 2007 Sent Form I-129F to CSC
Dec 24 2007 Packet received at CSC
Dec 31 2007 NOA 1 received
Jan 02 2008 Check cashed
May 05 2008 NOA2
May 12 2008 Received letter from NVC MNL2008xxxxxx
May 19 2008 Paid Delbros fee at Metrobank
May 20 2008 First day of medical
May 21 2008 Told to return for sputum test
May 21 2008 Delbros confirmed receiving payment
May 27 2008 Delbros sent proof of payment to USEM
May 27,28,29 2008 Sputum test done
June 6 2008 Delbros sent doc ver request to the NSO
June 27 2008 NSO doc ver completed, to be picked up by USEM
July 1, 2008 Called USEM, doc ver is at the embassy
July 30, 2008 Passed the sputum test and finished the physical
Aug 5, 2008 Interview, PASSED received PINK SLIP
Aug 12 2008 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God
Aug 16,2008 Flight to US. Manila to Narita, to Chicago
Sept 8, 2008 Civil wedding
Feb 14, 2009 Big fancy wedding
groupresized.jpg

I've actually begun wedding planning for a wedding near the end of the year, which is definitely risky, but the way I look at it, the fun wedding is most likely going to be for show no matter what. Either my fiance will be approved beforehand and we'll have a courthouse wedding before the fun wedding to make it official and legal, or he won't be approved yet and he'll visit here for a non-legal wedding ceremony with a courthouse wedding to follow after he is approved. Stupid? Maybe. Am I having fun planning a wedding? Absolutely!

October 2007- Became friends gaming onlineJanuary 16, 2009- Met in person in UKDecember 25, 2011- Ten visits later, engaged!February 24, 2012- I-129F SentFebruary 29, 2012- NOA 1 ReceivedJuly 13, 2012- RFE email sad.pngJuly 20, 2012-RFE response mailed to CSCJuly 24, 2012-RFE response reviewJuly 26, 2012-NOA2!!!!July 30, 2012-NOA2 Hardcopy ReceivedAugust 3, 2012-NVC received case and forwarded to LondonAugust 6, 2012-Case received by LondonAugust 13, 2012-Packet 3 sent out by consulateAugust 15, 2012-Packet 3 receivedAugust 23, 2012-Mailed affidavit and original forms to Rob via express mailAugust 30, 2012-MedicalSeptember 3, 2012-Packet 3 sent to embassy with DS-2001September 4, 2012-Packet 3 and DS-2001 arrive in LondonSeptember 26, 2012-Packet 4 receivedOctober 11, 2012- lnterview- Result: APPROVEDOctober 18, 2012-Visa in handNovember 15, 2012- POE-ORDNovember 21, 2012- Legal wedding!!November 30, 2012- Applied for SSNDecember 7, 2012- SSN card came in mailDecember 20, 2012- AOS/EAD/AP sent outDecember 27, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP Text/email confirmationDecember 31, 2012-AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 received in mailJanuary 22, 2013-Biometrics appointmentFebruary 15, 2013- EAD/AP approvedFebruary 27, 2013- EAD/AP card arrived in mailApril 6, 2013- Big family wedding!!August 12, 2013-AOS text/email- APPROVED!! <p>May 16, 2015- ROC package sent to CSC August 15, 2015- ROC Approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can apply for a K-1 and have the wedding you want! That of course means something different for different people. Some do a courthouse wedding now, and a bigger celebration later, some decide against the big celebration all together and elope, some throw together a wedding fairly quickly, and others take their time before moving and plan.

We did the thing everyone will advise you against- planned a wedding while the visa was processing. I think there is no harm in this as long as you give yourself plenty of time to have the visa issued, and also make sure anything you book can be refunded, or make sure they will let you move the date if needed.

Cori- I like your attitude! I think your plan sounds just fine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can always just sign the papers when you enter the US and then throw your celebration a few months later. This is what I'm doing- I got married in September and we're planning on having our real wedding sometime at the end of the year. It would've been sooner except hubby got laid off :S

Edited by pocheros

What others & you have said: K1/Fiance VISA is valid for 6 months, from the date of issue.

Once you enter the USA on that VISA, you must get married within 3 months or 90 days.

Do what's best for you.

We were trying to plan a wedding, but have since changed our minds. When the time comes, we just want to make it legal, and have a celebration ceremony another time. Listen to your heart, and do what's best for you.

Good luck & Happy Journey!

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We did the thing everyone will advise you against- planned a wedding while the visa was processing. I think there is no harm in this as long as you give yourself plenty of time to have the visa issued, and also make sure anything you book can be refunded, or make sure they will let you move the date if needed.

Same! But that's because our lawyer insisted the visa would arrive in January (she was way, way off - no idea where she got January from (probably the cereal box she got her law degree from *grumble grumble*). Got my passport on Monday and the wedding is in 10 days! Cutting it close, for sure!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, how did your process go so quickly? Looks like the whole process took 6 months! Lucky you! Did you do anything special?

You can always just sign the papers when you enter the US and then throw your celebration a few months later. This is what I'm doing- I got married in September and we're planning on having our real wedding sometime at the end of the year. It would've been sooner except hubby got laid off :S

We are doing this too :) June 2nd is our Canadian wedding date! Coming up so fast!!

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are doing this too :) June 2nd is our Canadian wedding date! Coming up so fast!!

June 2nd is a huge date for me as well--Will be my first tim hortons coffee in nearly a yr!! Can't wait!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.