MangoAve

SSN before AOS

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is the point to getting a social security card before the being married on K1? Why not get it after married and wait for the SSN to be issued having the name already been changed, then apply for the AOS and EAD? The first AOS to conditinal permanent shouldn't need a joint bank account and obviously you don't need the SSN to work until the EAD has been approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a K-1 process or procedure. Moved to AOS forums.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

Some people need to apply before the wedding if that's not scheduled until closer to the I-94 expiry date. Some people do it to avoid the hassle of having to deal with employees who don't know their own policy. I applied after my marriage because I was up for the challenge.

Moving from AOS to the SSN section. Sorry for the double move. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What is the point to getting a social security card before the being married on K1? Why not get it after married and wait for the SSN to be issued having the name already been changed, then apply for the AOS and EAD? The first AOS to conditinal permanent shouldn't need a joint bank account and obviously you don't need the SSN to work until the EAD has been approved.

Because many offices tell the K1 that they're not eligible anymore because they're married. It's just safer to get it before and change it to make sure you have it.

I'm with you but it always ends up to the need of a person.. but sure, it's easier to apply SSN after Marriage so that you dont have to change the name after marriage, only applies to women fiance :)

We went to SSA before our marriage but was advised to apply SSN after marriage since our application and our wedding date is so close, SSA might deny the change of name coz the initial processing of application might not be done yet. But of course, you could always wait till the maiden name SSN card comes to your mail and then apply for change of name, but it will make everything longer. :)

I would suggest applying SSN after Marriage only if your marriage date is not close to your I-94 expiration,( I think its 2 weeks before I-94 expiration if i'm not mistaken), as SSA said, they can't issue you SSN by then until your green card arrives. :)

Good luck!

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Because many offices tell the K1 that they're not eligible anymore because they're married. It's just safer to get it before and change it to make sure you have it.

Hmmmm.. Really? Wow! That's a bit ODD.. Ours was the opposite that's why but yup, every office is different even though the law is the same but YES.. Crazy Stuff happens :(

event.png
Our I-129F Journey

7/1/2011.. NOA1 receipt date
7/9/2011.. NOA1 Hard Copy Recieved
11/14/2011.. Approved NOA2 recieved via email/text
11/22/2011.. NVC forwarded Approved I-129F Petition to US Embassy Philippine
11/29/2011.. US Embassy in Manila Recieved our Petition
1/20/2012.. Medical Exam (Passed)
2/28/2012.. Interview! Approved!
3/1/12... CFO counseling Done!
3/7/12.. Visa on hand
3/10/12... POE @ Honolulu, HI.. Yeheeeeeey!
3/31/12... Wedding <3 <3 <3
Adjustment of Status Journey
4/24/12... AOS Mailed
4/30/12... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of AOS & EAD receipt
5/7/12... AOS/EAD NOA1 Hard Copy Received
6/11/12... Biometrics Appointment
6/22/12... 2nd Biometrics appointment scheduled 7/17/12 but walked in in an early date.
6/27/12... Text/Email Received (Card Production for EAD)
7/7/12... EAD Card Received! smile.png Yeheeeeey!

8/13/12... Interview (Approved) email/text received I-485 on card production! smile.png
8/21/12... Green Card on Hand! Yeheeey! Thank God!

Stepson I-130 Petition

12/27/13... Mailed I-130 to Phoenix lockbox via USPS Express Mail

12/31/13... NOA1 Priority Date

1/6/14... Email/Text received for acknowledgement of receipt. LIN****** case number assigned & routed to Nebraska Service Center

1/11/14.. NOA1 Hard copy received

1/17/14... Petition approved! Notification received via email/text (Thank God. 17 days only)/Approved petition mailed to Department of State! Notification via text/email

1/23/14... NOA2 Hardcopy recieved

NVC Stage

1/29/14... NVC received approved petition

3/7/14... Case Number Assigned (MNL**********)

3/11/14... Received AOS bill & Paid AOS/ Submitted DS-261

3/17/14... Mailed AOS Package

3/18/14... Forgot to Sign the I-864A, mailed another form with my signature affixed on I-864A

3/25/14... Recieved/Paid IV fee (Mailed DS-260 additional requirements)

3/27/14... Submitted DS-260 Online

Waiting.... Hopefully no Checklist. :)

4/24/14... Case Complete

6/23/14... Interview date! Huraaaay! APPROVED! More Hurray! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was missunderstood concerning how to get a SS# for a K1 before the visa expires. I waited until afterwards and now cannot file my taxes($3500 refund) until her EAD is approved because I don't have a SS# or ITIN for her to use on my 1040.

November 2009- Met online

May 13,2010- Visited in Cebu, Philippines

July 01, 2010 I-129f mailed to Cali

July 06,2010- USCIS confirmed delivery

July 12,2010- NOA-1

July 21,2010- file touched

Nov. 19,2010- NOA2 Approved!!!!

Nov. 24, 2010- NVC received

Nov. 30,2010- Hardcopy recieved in mail

Nov. 30, 2010-case number received from NVC via phone

case forwarded to Manilla

Dec. 06, 2010- paid Visa fee at BPI

Dec. 07,2010-Embassy recieved

Dec. 28, 2010- Appt. finally scheduled

Jan. 11,2011- Medical exam

Jan. 18,2011- Interview APPROVED!!!

Jan. 19,2011- Visa printed

Jan. 22, 2011- Visa delivered

Jan. 30, 2011- Guam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hmmmm.. Really? Wow! That's a bit ODD.. Ours was the opposite that's why but yup, every office is different even though the law is the same but YES.. Crazy Stuff happens :(

Yah :S Several people have been told that marriage changed their visa to a K3 (totally wrong of course) so refused.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.