jamkay

K-Fiance Visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks. My thoughts exactly. If we get married will we be denied when we file again.

You could be.

You applied for a fiance visa so being married cannot possibly be the problem, you are required NOT to be married for a finace visa.

So you get married and WHATEVER the problem is/was is STILL THERE because it could not possibly have been the lack of marriage.

Now, in SOME consulates where the REASON was lack of bona fide evidence of a relationship, they MAY then consider getting married to be a committment that proves your relationship is real. But what if the reason were something else?

Also if it is a lack of evidence one can assume that you could re-file the K-1 and do a better job of presenting evidence next time, lewarn from your mistake, so to speak.

The PROBLEM with getting married is that they are going to do the same thing again and if you are denied again you remain very much married. You would need to have a solid "Plan B" in place and just to say "Oh well if he does not get it, I will move to Turkey" Yeah right. And do what? THAT is where a "plan B" comes in...with a plan.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

This has been told to people before and they go get married and come back on the forums yelling when their petition is denied again when they are married. The OP needs to find out why the petition was denied and correct the issue before going ahead.

Exactly. It has happened too many times. Also I do not think that getting married is something you do "to get a visa". Just seems not right to me, but that is just me. I really do not think our government agents should be telling people to "Go make a lifelong committment to someone and come back and try again, MAYBE we will give you a visa"

Bad advice. Following it would be worse. In case anyone forgets, marriage is supposed to be a lifelong committment, not a bargaining chip to get something you want.

Gary And Alla

He was a crewmember on a cruise line that pulled in to port every Sunday. We meet up every Sunday to go out to lunch and go to the beach for about 3 months. He meet my sister and my niece before he left after his 1st contract. When he went home i went to visit him for a week. He came back for a second contract. Made 2 trips to visit him while he was in New Orleans, LA. After he completed this contract went on a second trip to visit. Have plenty of photos, phone calls, emails, and plenty of pictures with his family. What more do we need? We are thinking of having a baby now. And support is not an issue. I make way more that the average american makes in a year.

And on what basis can you possibly comment on the validity of the relationship.

Timeline

He was a crewmember on a cruise line that pulled in to port every Sunday. We meet up every Sunday to go out to lunch and go to the beach for about 3 months. He meet my sister and my niece before he left after his 1st contract. When he went home i went to visit him for a week. He came back for a second contract. Made 2 trips to visit him while he was in New Orleans, LA. After he completed this contract went on a second trip to visit. Have plenty of photos, phone calls, emails, and plenty of pictures with his family. What more do we need? We are thinking of having a baby now. And support is not an issue. I make way more that the average american makes in a year.

we do not know the reason it was denied. YOU need to know that and YOU need to correct the problem. Doing anything before you know those things is very risky.

Some things it was NOT...

1. Lack of a baby

2. Lack of income (if you make more than the poverty guidelines)

So stop in any efforts toward those "solutions" However if you are going to be close enough to him to MAKE A BABY then I suggest you get even more photos and evidence to prove you have a relationship. That COULD be the problem as it often is with these cases. What is "enough" depends on the consulate. You have far more than enough to get a fiance visa in Kiev.

I strongly suggest you do NOT do anything that will result in a long term committment until you know the problem. Making a baby or getting married would be among those things, UNLESS you havea fail safe plan to live with him and raise your family (ultimately) in some other country

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
No she did not state why he was unquallifed. She asked very intimate questions like: Do you use condoms? If you are not using condoms why have you two not gotten pregnant? Is there a problem? When was the last time u were intimate?

Is this for real?! Can an immigration officer really ask you these kind of questions?! I hope to God they won't ask me or my fiancee these kinds of intimate questions because I would loose it - how disrespectful and inappropriate! Our immigration department is really out of line if they're being allowed to interrogate people like this.

It was something we were planning to do after the wedding anyway. If you love someone and want to be with them you should not put your life together onhold. and whether or not they can get a visa to the u.s. should not change the way you feel about them. Especially if you are getting married for the right reasons. Which is because you love each other and want to spend the rest of your lives together. No Matter Where U R!!!

we do not know the reason it was denied. YOU need to know that and YOU need to correct the problem. Doing anything before you know those things is very risky.

Some things it was NOT...

1. Lack of a baby

2. Lack of income (if you make more than the poverty guidelines)

So stop in any efforts toward those "solutions" However if you are going to be close enough to him to MAKE A BABY then I suggest you get even more photos and evidence to prove you have a relationship. That COULD be the problem as it often is with these cases. What is "enough" depends on the consulate. You have far more than enough to get a fiance visa in Kiev.

I strongly suggest you do NOT do anything that will result in a long term committment until you know the problem. Making a baby or getting married would be among those things, UNLESS you havea fail safe plan to live with him and raise your family (ultimately) in some other country

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Is this for real?! Can an immigration officer really ask you these kind of questions?
It's very, very real indeed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

CAN IT BE THAT YOU GOT DENIED BECAUSE THERE AINT ANY TYPE OF SEX TILL AFTER MARRIEGE?? SORRY IF I SOUND DESRESPECTFULL CAUSE I REALLY AINT TRYING TO BE BUT SOME PEOPLE HAVE STRONG RELIGIOS BACKGROUND AND RATHER GET MARRIED FIRST.I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY DID YOU GET DENIED IF YOU HAVE ALL THIS EVIDENCE.....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

CAN IT BE THAT YOU GOT DENIED BECAUSE THERE AINT ANY TYPE OF SEX TILL AFTER MARRIEGE?? SORRY IF I SOUND DESRESPECTFULL CAUSE I REALLY AINT TRYING TO BE BUT SOME PEOPLE HAVE STRONG RELIGIOS BACKGROUND AND RATHER GET MARRIED FIRST.I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY DID YOU GET DENIED IF YOU HAVE ALL THIS EVIDENCE.....

They cannot deny a fiancee visa because the petitioner and beneficiary have not had sex. They CAN deny a fiancee visa if the beneficiary is lying to them.

There are two occasions where they would ask sex related questions. The first is if they plan to interview the petitioner and beneficiary separately. Two people who were not in a sincere relationship might find it uncomfortable to discuss sex when they aren't actually intimate with each other, so it's a subject that a sham couple might not have rehearsed. The odds of catching them giving different answers to sex related questions in a Stokes interview is pretty high. If they are interviewing only the beneficiary then they might ask sex related questions just to see how the beneficiary answers. A beneficiary who is not committed to the relationship (i.e., a scammer) might view sex as something they had to put up with in order to get the visa, but it wouldn't be something they'd want to remember in detail. Someone who hesitates with answers or gives conflicting answers after being asked the same question might be lying.

If you say you don't have sex because you're religious and want to wait until you're married then that had better be consistent with the other evidence. That answer won't fly if you say you met in a singles bar, and you shared the same hotel room every time you visited.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Something I forgot to mention...

They don't generally ask sexual questions unless they are already deeply suspicious. If they get an inconsistent answer to a question about sex then they might cite the inconsistent answer as one of the reasons for denying the visa, but you can rest assured that it wasn't the lack of detailed info about the sexual relationship that caused the denial. Something else set them off. You can sometimes figure out what that something was by thinking about how the interview progressed. Was there a moment when the demeanor of the consular officer changed? What was the evidence or question that triggered it? Did the interview start out with an adversarial tone from the consular officer? In that case, something in the evidence submitted before the interview or in the petition package might have set them off, or something they discovered during their routine checks.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.