gte

Question about I-751 timeline

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

(I believe this is the right forum, if not my apologies please move this topic to the appropriate forum)

My wife and I have been married for a little over 2 years and we filed her extension a few weeks ago and it was $590 dollars.

Today she got an I-751 receipt notice in the mail stating that her "conditional resident status is extended for one year". Does this mean that every single year we are going to have to pay $590 dollars to get an extension?

Can someone please lay down a general timeline of how this works (and what it will cost) so that we can set our expectations as to how much this is going to cost every year and when it will hopefully end? Also are there steps we can take to end this continuation process and get her a permanent residence, with no further need to prove anything/get biometrics or pay anything else?

Thanks!

Year 1/2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

Year 6

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Year 12

Year 13

Year 14

Year 15

Year 16

Year 17

Year 18

Year 19

Year 20

Edited by gte

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

if your married two years you file the 1-751 to remove conditions the uscis will send you a receipt 797 noa-1 letter that will say you have a one year extension. your green card .until the permanent resident plastic card comes in the mailwhen the plastic card comes it will say 10 years if you don't want to become a us citizen 10 years you pay to renew your permanent resident card again.if you apply for your citizenship, one year after you remove conditions you don't need the green card any more, you will have a us passport.

(I believe this is the right forum, if not my apologies please move this topic to the appropriate forum)

My wife and I have been married for a little over 2 years and we filed her extension a few weeks ago and it was $590 dollars.

Today she got an I-751 receipt notice in the mail stating that her "conditional resident status is extended for one year". Does this mean that every single year we are going to have to pay $590 dollars to get an extension?

Can someone please lay down a general timeline of how this works (and what it will cost) so that we can set our expectations as to how much this is going to cost every year and when it will hopefully end? Also are there steps we can take to end this continuation process and get her a permanent residence, with no further need to prove anything/get biometrics or pay anything else?

Thanks!

Year 1/2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

Year 6

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Year 12

Year 13

Year 14

Year 15

Year 16

Year 17

Year 18

Year 19

Year 20

Hi gte,

From what I am assuming your wife came over on either a K1 or CR1 visa, so you have just applied to have her "conditions" removed on her Green Card. The conditions being that the two of you maintained a legitimate marriage for the whole 2 years. The letter of extension given by the USCIS allows you to prove your Green Card status, to immigration, employers, and allows you to travel whilst your "removal of conditions" application is being processed. The process normally takes from 6-12months and that is why you have been given a year's extension letter. If you get approved, which is very likely if all is correct, you will receive a 10 year green card. For 10 years you have this green card and are not required to do anything else in terms of renewing. If after 10 years of having this green card you are not a US Citizen you have to renew it again.

However if you do wish to become a US Citizen, 90 days before your 3 years permanent residency anniversary, you can apply for citizenship. If your removal of conditions has still not been approved, as remember this can take a year, this will have to be approved before your US citizenship application can go further. She won't get denied US citizenship if you apply for it whilst your removal of conditions is still pending, what will happen is that your US citizenship application will simply be put on hold until the removal of conditions has been approved.

For the most up to date application fees please go to the USCIS website. As fees change from year to year.

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

Timeline

Hello, thank you both very much for the replies. She came over on a J1 visa in August of 2008 and that was converted to a conditional 2 year green card in July 2010 after we were married.

So if I understand correctly, the temporary extension is to allow for processing, and if approved she will get a 10 year permanent resident card at no extra cost and we will not have to pay anything else or do anything else until 10 years following the date her permanent residence is approved? Also 1 year after her permanent residence is approved, she can obtain a US passport?

Have I understood all of this correctly? If so, this is good news :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, thank you both very much for the replies. She came over on a J1 visa in August of 2008 and that was converted to a conditional 2 year green card in July 2010 after we were married.

So if I understand correctly, the temporary extension is to allow for processing, and if approved she will get a 10 year permanent resident card at no extra cost and we will not have to pay anything else or do anything else until 10 years following the date her permanent residence is approved? Also 1 year after her permanent residence is approved, she can obtain a US passport?

Have I understood all of this correctly? If so, this is good news :)

No she cannot get a US passport.

She would apply for naturalization at 3 years of permanent residency. Pass the test and take the Oath. Once she becomes a naturalized US citizen then and only then can she obtain a US passport.

Please check out the information on USCIS on naturalization and the guides on VJ.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Did I understand the other part correctly?

The temporary extension is to allow for processing, and if approved she will get a 10 year permanent resident card at no extra cost and we will not have to pay anything else or do anything else until 10 years following the date her permanent residence is approved?

Did I understand the other part correctly?

Yep that part is correct! :thumbs:

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Year 1/2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

Year 6

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Year 12

Year 13

Year 14

Year 15

Year 16

Year 17

Year 18

Year 19

Year 20

First of all, be careful with this expression "married for 2 years" ok ? You can be married for 2 years but not be a permanent resident for 2 years. i.e: I was married to my wife 1 year BEFORE I even applied for my gc. 2 years for USCIS means 2 years holding a GC, period.

Ok .. you got ur extension letter which doens mean much. They only send that to guarantee ur wife status until the whole process with I751 is done, thats all. Also, she can work and travel abroad using this letter, simple as that.

Just follow the steps ok ? 1. Fingerprints 2. Waaaaaait to see what happens. 3. Dont be silly like a lot of people because some people start to freak out or call USCIS everyday to find out about I751 status BEFORE 6 month, dont be silly ... the process will take 6 to 7 month to be approved (if your case is at CSC)and maybe 8 month until u actually get the GC on the mail. Do expetc NOTHING before 6 month, for ur own good, trust me. If your case is at VSC, sorry man .. you are looking at MINIMUM OF 9 MONTH.

And NO, you will not pay $590.00 again unless you (or ur wife) cancel the application I751 and/or get denied and decide to apply for I751 again.

• 4 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

We filed 11 months ago for lifting conditions. The one-year extension expires 1/30/17. VSC is really behind. VJ says they are processing I-751s filed on 11/5/15! I hope we hear something next month.

Thanks!

Year 1/2

Year 3

Year 4

Year 5

Year 6

Year 7

Year 8

Year 9

Year 10

Year 11

Year 12

Year 13

Year 14

Year 15

Year 16

Year 17

Year 18

Year 19

Year 20

Okay you're not extending her green card. She is removing the conditions (the 2 year limit) on her residency because you were not married for 2 years at the time she received her original LPR status.

The NOA1 (aka extension letter) allows for her to have proof she is still a LPR even though her green card will expire during the ROC process. It extends the green card for 1 year from the green card's expiration date.

If her ROC is approved, then she will receive a 10 year green card.

After that she can either apply for citizenship based on marriage at the 3 years of being an LPR and married, or at the 5 years of being an LPR. OR she can simply renew her green card in 10 years.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm amused this thread was 4 years old (2012) i would assume that the OP's wife has gotten the 10 year green card and possibly even citizenship by now.

AOS through Marriage Journey

10/25/2013: Civil Marriage
10/31/2013 [Day 00]: I-130; I-485; I-693; I-765; I-864 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox, via UPS next day
11/01/2013 [Day 01]: Packet arrives at Chicago Lockbox, notified via UPS Tracking
11/05/2013 [Day 05]: EMail and Texts notifying receipt of documents, NOA1
11/09/2013 [Day 09]: NOA1 Hard copies came in the mail
11/12/2013[Day 12]: Letter arrived via USPS confirming Biometrics Appointment for 12/2/2013
11/18/2013[Day 18]: Successful Biometrics walk in at the Jacksonville USCIS office
11/25/2013[Day 25]: Email and Text confirmation that my status on my I-485 application changed to testing and interview
01/08/2014[Day 68]: Email and Text stating that I-765 changed to "Card/Document Production"
01/16/2014[Day 76]: Received EAD Card
02/05/2014[Day 96]: I-485 Interview Date (rescheduled) Approved on the Spot!!
02/05/2014[Day 96]:Email and Text stating that my I-130 approved, that my green card has been approved
02/12/2014[Day 103]:Received Green Card in the mail

ROC I-751 Journey

11/06/2015 [Day 0]: Mailed I-751 Packet to VSC via USPS Priority Mail
11/10/2015 [Day 1]: NOA1 Receipt date
11/13/2015 [Day 4]: Check cashed
11/16/2015 [Day 7]: NOA1 Hard copies came in the mail

11/22/2016 [Day 378]: Email from USCIS that my card went into production, YA!!! :dancing:

N-400 Citizenship Journey

11/05/2016 [Day 0]: Mailed N-400 Packet to Texas Lockbox via USPS Priority Mail
11/07/2016 [Day 0]: 1st day of the 90 days, N-400 eligibility based on the married to a US Citizen for 3 years rule

11/08/2016 [Day 1]: Package delivered to the Dallas Lockbox by USPS Priority Mail, confirmed via tracking
11/10/2016 [Day 3]: Pending Fee to USCIS for $680 on my Credit Card

11/15/2016 [Day 8]: Email/Text confirmation that my case was received

11/19/2016 [Day 12]: Hard Copy came in the mail

11/25/2016 [Day 18]: Biometric Appointment for Dec 6th came in the mail

07/01/2017: Moved to Atlanta

02/14/2018: Naturalization Interview (Decision can't be made)

09/05/2018: Case update that my oath ceremony was scheduled

09/24/2018: Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Old thread is now closed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.