vieiraleov

Mail Package + Check

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello VJ Members:

When mailing your package, what carrier method would you recommend? FEDEX, USPS, or UPS? Also, would you select overnight, ground, express, delivery confirmation? I am applying from Texas, and it will be sent to Vermont.

Another question. If you do not use checks in the bank account, how would you go about the fee? USPS money order or your bank's one time check? If you go for a bank's check, should that be addressed to whom?

Best

I sent ours USPS with signature confirmation and tracking. It arrived quickly with no problems. As far as payment, can you track a one-time check from a bank? Never did one of those before. I'd do a money order so you have a receipt.

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

We sent ours on 4/23 it arrived there 4/25/12 using USPS certified mail. We sent a personal check from our joint bank account. The check should be made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. You have to write it out.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I just toss my stuff in a flat-rate Express Mail envelope. Tracking comes free with it. I think it's $18 or something. It is guaranteed to get there in one day, and you get your money back if it doesn't. It's definitely a more expensive option, but I'm willing to plunk down the $18.

I said it before but I say it again. In my view all the expensive services are a waste of money. A few days after receipt you get your first NOA anyway. You see that the money is drawn from your account. That is the proof that they received it. Save yourself a few bucks in the already expensive process and ship it first class like I did.

Timeline

I said it before but I say it again. In my view all the expensive services are a waste of money. A few days after receipt you get your first NOA anyway. You see that the money is drawn from your account. That is the proof that they received it. Save yourself a few bucks in the already expensive process and ship it first class like I did.

Except if you don't see that the money has been drawn from your account, at which point you are left wondering what happened. To me, your post reads a little like "save yourself the money on homeowners insurance and refuse to buy it. You can see that your house hasn't burned down, right?" Of course if everything works out perfectly, then nothing went wrong and there was no need to be able to go back and see what happened. The reason that I pay the extra $10 or whatever for Express Mail is that it buys me $10 worth of peace of mind knowing that I will be able to see what happened in case something DOES go wrong.

At the end of the day, this is one of those "to each his own" situations, though.

Except if you don't see that the money has been drawn from your account, at which point you are left wondering what happened. To me, your post reads a little like "save yourself the money on homeowners insurance and refuse to buy it. You can see that your house hasn't burned down, right?" Of course if everything works out perfectly, then nothing went wrong and there was no need to be able to go back and see what happened. The reason that I pay the extra $10 or whatever for Express Mail is that it buys me $10 worth of peace of mind knowing that I will be able to see what happened in case something DOES go wrong.

At the end of the day, this is one of those "to each his own" situations, though.

I think the insurance comparison makes little sense. Tracking and express mail don't insure your documents. You have no recourse if someone else takes possession of your check or your forms. It's more about peace of mind than anything else.

Ok, so you got tracking and it shows that it never arrived. What are you gonna do? You have to cancel the check and resend the package anyway. Another situation: your tracking shows that the package has been delivered and signed for by Joe Miller. Then you never hear from USCIS. You call them up but they've lost your package in the system for whatever reason. You have to resend anyway. They won't care whether you have tracking or not.

I can only see the reason for choosing express or priority mail if you want to insure valuables or need a fast delivery. One day or two less in a six-month journey matter little to me.

You're right. It's everyone's personal choice. Oftentimes, people make choices based on feelings rather than facts.

Filed: Timeline

I think the insurance comparison makes little sense. Tracking and express mail don't insure your documents. You have no recourse if someone else takes possession of your check or your forms. It's more about peace of mind than anything else.

Ok, so you got tracking and it shows that it never arrived. What are you gonna do? You have to cancel the check and resend the package anyway. Another situation: your tracking shows that the package has been delivered and signed for by Joe Miller. Then you never hear from USCIS. You call them up but they've lost your package in the system for whatever reason. You have to resend anyway. They won't care whether you have tracking or not.

I can only see the reason for choosing express or priority mail if you want to insure valuables or need a fast delivery. One day or two less in a six-month journey matter little to me.

You're right. It's everyone's personal choice. Oftentimes, people make choices based on feelings rather than facts.

Very common on VJ it seems.

I sent mine priority, not because I felt I needed speed but it was more convenient.

Timeline

My only desire is to be able to prove that a package did indeed arrive if I am told that it did not and my check is not cashed. I'm willing to pay $10-$15 to have the ability to prove that should the need arise. I am so willing because I get $10-$15 worth of utility by doing so in the form of peace of mind. Therefore, it makes perfect economic sense for me to spend the money. The fact that it gets there a few days earlier is a bonus. I can totally understand why it wouldn't make economic sense to many, though.

Timeline

Yeah, we are talking about a webpage on which just a week ago people were saying that religious women deserve to be raped for not having sex with their fiances before marriage. Sending the most important package you will ever send in your entire life via Express Mail isn't exactly the craziest thing you'll read here.

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, we are talking about a webpage on which just a week ago people were saying that religious women deserve to be raped for not having sex with their fiances before marriage. Sending the most important package you will ever send in your entire life via Express Mail isn't exactly the craziest thing you'll read here.

Shocking :(

I'm hoping they all got Dear Abbey letters from the mods since I got one for ONLY using an icon that THE BOARD itself provided :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sent mine priority, not because I felt I needed speed but it was more convenient.

mike b is right. paying extra for overnight, express mail gives you a piece of mind.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

If all you're going to do is cancel the check and resend the package, you really should learn more about identity theft. There's a ton of personally identifying information in that package (complete with a real check) -- enough information that someone who was successful in stealing one could easily not only steal your identity, but also your bank account (via the check).

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We mailed the packet through USPS Priority Mail, flat rate enevelope with certified mail sticker. The packet went out on Monday January 30th and was received on Tuesday January 31st. I was able to track everything online.

pkyxguryrufud.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.