goldman

Which military branch is best for permanent resident to join?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have some questions if anyone could help me answer for those who has joined the military with their permanent resident card (green card). Because I heard that the military offers a fast track program to get green card holders their citizenship in less than a year.

My questions are what military branch did you joined? After you joined, what are some of the process that you had to go through to obtain your citizenship? While you were in the military, how was your experience? Does every military branch offer citizenship after you join?

Recently, I got married and I'm still waiting for my 2 years green card. But I'm very interested to join the military as soon as I get my green card. I appreciate any comments here. thanks.

Adjusting from F1 student - greencard

12/16/2011- Married

03/15/2012- Finalizing AOS package I-130 and I-485.

03/16/2012- Prepare to mail to USCIS

06/12/2012- Received GC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from General Immigration-Related Discussion to Military Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hopefully this answers your question.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ce613e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ce613e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I joined as a greencard holder, but never got my citizenship during my service. I was young and did not think about US citizenship when I joined at 18. I became a US citizen after completing my service.

It's been awhile, but I was in the US Army as a combat medic during peace time. Most of what I did was working at clinics, hospitals, and doing training exercises for combat situation. It is not a 9-5 job, especially if you live in the barracks. Most weekends were free, but I also worked a lot during weekends. I will have to let those who have served recently tell you how it is now. For instance, one of my best friend from highschool is in Special Forces and he goes overseas constantly now.

Timeline

Do you know what "served during hostilities" means? does it mean that the person has to be in a war zone eg. Iraq or Afghanistan?

12/16/2011- Married

06/12/2012- Received GC

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Do you know what "served during hostilities" means? does it mean that the person has to be in a war zone eg. Iraq or Afghanistan?

As a member of the US military, you could be sent anywhere in the world. Anyone who joins the US military should be prepared to be deployed to a war zone. If the military tells you to go to Iraq or Afghanistan, then you go. If you refuse to go, then be prepared for a court martial, jail, and the rest of your life in the US being screwed for a dishonorable discharge.

Look at where the US has been since the WWII. Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Lebanon, Somalia, the former Yugoslavia, Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen, Pakistan, etc.

The US is not going to not have a time without "hostilities." If you join the US military, be prepared to go into a hot zone like Iraq or Afghanistan. If you can't make this commitment, then don't join.

-------

My son-in-law is leaving the US Army after serving 10 years. He served 4 of those years in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Aaron I agree with what you said. But i was wondering what is the difference between "peace time" and "hostile periods". Currently, what are we right now?

Here's the website from USCIS:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ce613e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ce613e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

12/16/2011- Married

06/12/2012- Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

The current designated period of hostilities starting on September 11, 2001, will terminate when the President issues an Executive Order terminating the period.

We are still in a period of hostilities.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I'm new to this whole web site and I found your post. I don't have my green card yet but would like to start the process soon. I'm also thinking about joining the US military once I have the green card. My wife is a US citizen, but we're currently living in Germany working for the US armed forces overseas.

Did you already join the military? I would really like to hear some more from you.

you can also send me a private message.

Hope to hear from you soon.

I have some questions if anyone could help me answer for those who has joined the military with their permanent resident card (green card). Because I heard that the military offers a fast track program to get green card holders their citizenship in less than a year.

My questions are what military branch did you joined? After you joined, what are some of the process that you had to go through to obtain your citizenship? While you were in the military, how was your experience? Does every military branch offer citizenship after you join?

Recently, I got married and I'm still waiting for my 2 years green card. But I'm very interested to join the military as soon as I get my green card. I appreciate any comments here. thanks.

Filed: Timeline

you can join any branch. it depense, what you would like to do ... Army deploys the longest and works mostly from the ground. If you would like to fly, look into the AF. Marines have a big variety of Jobs to cover and the Navy is on the sea. it all depends all on you. of your preferences. they military does help you with the paperwork for citizenship, but since you are married to an US-Citizen, you can do it on your own after 3 years. no need to join for that reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Because I heard that the military offers a fast track program to get green card holders their citizenship in less than a year...

You do realize that military service is a long-term commitment, don't you -- i.e. several years?

You cannot just get your citizenship and immediately leave the service. This should be a serious career choice, not a scheme to jump the queue.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Joining The United States Marine Corps or any branch of the armed services is no joke. Boot Camp requires a serious commitment as does the rest of your time in the service. It's called service for a reason. PT isn't fun if you'd rather be somewhere else.

Joining The United States Marine Corps or any branch of the armed services is no joke. Boot Camp requires a serious commitment as does the rest of your time in the service. It's called service for a reason. PT isn't fun if you'd rather be somewhere else.

I agree. Having served four in the Corps myself, I would suggest the OP take another route if the primary objective is citizenship. The USMC in particular is not the easy way to do anything :lol:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 1 month later...

I was a US Army Signals Intel Analyst (98C) but I would have loved to join the Navy or the CH...AIR FORCE (jejeje did AIT in an AF base and those cats had everything there)

When you are in love life becomes an adventure... Chase it live it dream it and follow it where ever it takes you
s8Com4.png
08/02/2011 - Married in Merida.....................................................07/19/2012 - ASC Merida, Yucatan (DONE!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11/28/2011 - I-130 Sent...............................................................08/07/2012 - Medical (DONE!)0
11/29/2011 - I-130 NOA-1...........................................................08/09/2012 - Interview Approved!! (253 Days)

04/27/2012 - I-130 NOA-2 (149 Days)........................................08/14/2012 - Visa On Hand (4 Days)
05/11/2012 - NVC Received.......................................................08/17/2012 - POE MIA (260 Days TOTAL)

05/11/2012 - NVC Received.......................................................05/28/2014 - Sent I-751 ROC Package

05/29/2012 - Case Number and IIN Assigned............................05/30/2014 - I-751Reciept Notice

05/30/2012 - Gave Email Addreses to the NVC.........................06/27/2014 - Biometrics
06/04/2012 - Sent DS-261
06/05/2012 - Paid AOS Bill
06/12/2012 - Sent AOS Package
06/13/2012 - Paid IV Bill
06/15/2012 - AOS Checklist (OUCH!)
06/16/2012 - Completed DS-260 and Submitted IV Package
06/19/2012 - Checklist Response
06/21/2012 - Case Complete (42 Days)
06/22/2012 - Interview Set
----------------------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.