Moon1982

Interview or REF after filed I-175

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I have filed I-175 on Feb 22 and gotten my Bio done in March. Now we are waiting. Our son and I are going back to China to visit my parents on August 8, and I assume that the GC won't arrive before I leave for China. I am a VSC filer, the average time that I was told is 7-8 months. Now my question is, IF I would get an interview or REF, when would I normally receive the letters? Anybody had an interview or received an REF letter, would you please let me know when the letters arrived, like how many months after you filed I175? I am just hoping that if I would get an interview, I would receive the letter before I leave for China. Thank you!

Edited by Moon1982

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have filed I-175 on Feb 22 and gotten my Bio done in March. Now we are waiting. Our son and I are going back to China to visit my parents on August 8, and I assume that the GC won't arrive before I leave for China. I am a VSC filer, the average time that I was told is 7-8 months. Now my question is, IF I would get an interview or REF, when would I normally receive the letters? Anybody had an interview or received an REF letter, would you please let me know when the letters arrived, like how many months after you filed I175? I am just hoping that if I would get an interview, I would receive the letter before I leave for China. Thank you!

Do you mean I-751 Application to Remove Conditions?

That's a wild guess. My suggestion is after you filed I751, wait till it's done before you make any out-the-country travel arrangements.

Now if I assume you have received your NOA-1 stating that your status has been extended for one-year? If you do, and if you HAVE to travel, take the original NOA-1 letter with you among the expired conditional GC for a easy re-entry.

However we have people ranging anywhere from a few weeks to past a year after their initial filing of I-751 to receive RFEs or interview notices. It's a very wide shot knowing how USCIS works so I suggest, unless you like to take a chance and just HAVE to go, otherwise stay put until it's done.

Because an abandonment is not a good thing if you somehow missed your RFE or interview while you are out...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is absolutely no way to answer your question accurately. You can be RFE'd before biometrics, after biometrics, before interview, at interview. You could be approved without interview or they'll want to interview you. Some people are getting approved quicker than the 7-8 months, some are waiting closer to a year. You will only know when you know. Sorry!

You are given 86 days (ish) to reply to RFE's. You should have someone checking your mail who can tell you whether you get anything. You should also have money set aside to come back earlier if needed.

Timeline

I plan on being out of the US for over a month, departing 8 months after filing for ROC, and I won't let USCIS impact my plans. Since I'm also applying through Vermont, I may well not have my new GC by then. I do plan on having my husband keep a close eye on the mail & before leaving, I will prepare some extra documents in case we get an RFE. Should it be an interview invitation, I agree with having the funds set aside to return early if need be (although I would frankly hope that one can reschedule). I'm hoping none of this will happen, but I wouldn't panic and put my life on hold for up to a year, while USCIS takes their time with my application.

I would probably feel differently if there had been some hiccups in the past (e.g. overstaying a visa etc.), but I'm hoping for the best and am moving along with my life.

Good luck with your plans! Like others suggested, prepare for the worst (documents, extra funds), but don't necessarily change your plans if this trip is important to you and your family.

Hi,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you so much for replying! I guess I will take the trip and do my best to prepare for the worst situation.

We had an interview 2 months after filing, but I know some people that waited up to 9 months after filing.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.