supermoth

Surprised to get RFE

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

We filed i-751 for my petitioner husband in October 2011. Last week, we received a RFE in the mail. Here are the items we included as evidence (from memory, I don't have the papers in front of me). :

• Joint tax returns from 2009 and 2010
  • Joint health insurance
  • Joint credit card
  • My retirement account showing petitioner as beneficiary

We bought a house, but at the recommendation of my realtor and broker, only my name was listed on the papers because of my husband's minimal credit history. Same with utility bills, I already had accounts with most of the companies, plus I'm the one that takes care of paying the bills. We have separate checking accounts simply because that is our choice.

My other frustration is that the RFE we received doesn't ask for anything specific to our case. They just give a general list of different types of evidence, much of which I'd already provided.

So I'm curious what is going to happen next. Could they deny his visa just because we don't live our lives according to their requirements? Will they call us in for an interview? It is pretty obvious when we're together that we're married.

Any advice would me much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

From the list you provided it doesn't seem that you showed enought evidence of you both leaving together, did you include a copy of his driver's license showing the same address, car insurance, car loans...eventhough he is not on your mortgage you can always add his name to the deed! good luck.

Edited by Barca
event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We filed i-751 for my petitioner husband in October 2011. Last week, we received a RFE in the mail. Here are the items we included as evidence (from memory, I don't have the papers in front of me). :

• Joint tax returns from 2009 and 2010
  • Joint health insurance
  • Joint credit card
  • My retirement account showing petitioner as beneficiary

We bought a house, but at the recommendation of my realtor and broker, only my name was listed on the papers because of my husband's minimal credit history. Same with utility bills, I already had accounts with most of the companies, plus I'm the one that takes care of paying the bills. We have separate checking accounts simply because that is our choice.

My other frustration is that the RFE we received doesn't ask for anything specific to our case. They just give a general list of different types of evidence, much of which I'd already provided.

So I'm curious what is going to happen next. Could they deny his visa just because we don't live our lives according to their requirements? Will they call us in for an interview? It is pretty obvious when we're together that we're married.

Any advice would me much appreciated.

I just sent you a message to your inbox. Thanks.

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

First of, If you don't send enough evidence again, they will call you for an interview. You know that you are married truly, but they (USCIS) don't, they have to see some proofs in hand.

Like IRS Tax Transcripts, Joint Bank Accounts, Joint Credit Card Accounts, Health Insurance, Auto Insurance, Mortgage Payment, Car Payment, Apartment Lease Contract, Retirement Fund listed as beneficiary,

etc, etc, etc...... I can make this list very long. Bottom line is give USCIS what they want & then you live your life as you wish. Don't forget it is their game & they call the rules !....

Good Luck !.... Please keep us posted.

"Patience is the key to the paradise (US Citizenship, in our case)"

Timeline

I believe that adding his name to the house deed will cause a big bureaucratic mess with my dysfunctional city, and may even violate the terms of my mortgage.

Any mail he gets comes to the house, but I think his state ID still shows his old address (he doesn't drive so it's not a DL). We don't have a car loan.

I can add his name to bank accounts and show some other stuff, like our E-ticket to Hawaii last January, family cell phone plan. Honestly, going in for an interview would be the easiest. The location is pretty convenient for us. We had a blast going for his AOS interview, truthfully.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

I believe that adding his name to the house deed will cause a big bureaucratic mess with my dysfunctional city, and may even violate the terms of my mortgage.

Any mail he gets comes to the house, but I think his state ID still shows his old address (he doesn't drive so it's not a DL). We don't have a car loan.

I can add his name to bank accounts and show some other stuff, like our E-ticket to Hawaii last January, family cell phone plan. Honestly, going in for an interview would be the easiest. The location is pretty convenient for us. We had a blast going for his AOS interview, truthfully.

I read once that you should not do anything in your life just for immigration purposes. Do not change your house deed. Go through the list on the RFE as I did and provide them with as much possible evidence for each question as you can. If there is something you can not provide like the names and addresses of every living relative of yours living in the United States, just list the ones you have. Many of us have gotten a three page list of an RFE and answered to the best of our ability and gotten our NOA2.

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: Timeline

I also filed in October and just got and replied A RFE (it was pretty specific - they wanted proof of communal residency). I put some newer evidence but i don't know if it's good enough. My question is - should I still call them after I pass my 6 months waiting or not? Are they gonna tell me that because I got RFE it's gonna be def longer for me? Does anybody know any statistic of interview after RFE? And how long does it take them to look at my papers after they get my RFE answer?

Timeline

I read once that you should not do anything in your life just for immigration purposes. Do not change your house deed. Go through the list on the RFE as I did and provide them with as much possible evidence for each question as you can. If there is something you can not provide like the names and addresses of every living relative of yours living in the United States, just list the ones you have. Many of us have gotten a three page list of an RFE and answered to the best of our ability and gotten our NOA2.

This is my instinct, too. My main frustration with the RFE, as I mentioned above, was they didn't specifically ask for anything. The list of types of evidence they sent me in the RFE is the exact same thing you'd read on the USCIS website, and I'd already included many of those things. I'll send them a few additional things that might help, but I wonder if I should also explain in a letter why certain things, such as the mortgage, are the way they are.

Timeline

I also filed in October and just got and replied A RFE (it was pretty specific - they wanted proof of communal residency). I put some newer evidence but i don't know if it's good enough. My question is - should I still call them after I pass my 6 months waiting or not? Are they gonna tell me that because I got RFE it's gonna be def longer for me? Does anybody know any statistic of interview after RFE? And how long does it take them to look at my papers after they get my RFE answer?

Rialtoma, if your RFE was the same as ours, they probably gave you a deadline date to respond with the evidence. Ours was June 29, I think.

Also, can I ask you, where on the RFE did they specifically ask for evidence of communal residency? Was it anywhere on that blue sheet? I'm wondering if I somehow didn't notice it on ours.

I already sent them my reply, but it did say REPLY BY JUNE 27th in that blue sheet. It was white paper attached to the blue sheet with the list of what they want - copies of ID's (mine and sponsor's) ; Birth certificates of children (we don't have them yet); proof of communal residency.

Timeline

I already sent them my reply, but it did say REPLY BY JUNE 27th in that blue sheet. It was white paper attached to the blue sheet with the list of what they want - copies of ID's (mine and sponsor's) ; Birth certificates of children (we don't have them yet); proof of communal residency.

That's interesting. They attached a white sheet to mine, but many of the things in the list were things I'd aleady sent them. Do you mind telling me what you gave as proof of communal residency?

To answer your other question about the time frame, I just think they put your file aside until they have the info they want, then pick it up again as soon as they receive it. If you replied to your RFE so quickly, I don't think it'll delay your process much at all. Then again, I'm no expert! :)

Edited by supermoth

It may vary from state to state, but when my husband and I purchased our house (I didn't have the credit for the mortgage) he added me onto the house title at closing. This had no impact on the mortgage terms. I figured if I am putting down the down-payment for the home, I may as well be added to the title. The mortgage provider (Bank of America) has never given us an issue about this. I believe (although my ROC is still pending- so maybe I have an RFE in the works- cross-fingers- hope not!)showing that you two are willing to co-mingle large assets (i.e. homes) shows a more valid marriage. I understand some newly weds are broke, so they don't have much to show, but if you have vehicles, a house, etc in your name only- they may ask why.

We have been living together since the day of marriage (even far before that actually), but most of the time we've lived with my hubby's parents (no bills or official lease). For about 9 months we've lived with my husband's friend (no bills again). We included letters from they saying we've lived with them. And just a month ago we got our first very own apartment with lease and electric. People in USCIS hopefully can see we are pretty young (in our 20-s still) and don't have much money (tax returns and bank accounts prove that), so living with relatives was saving us money.

Also we provided copies of ID's with same address.

Timeline

Do you own a vehicle? I sent the titles for our vehicles showing both of our names on them.

Did you get affidavits from friends/family?

My husband doesn't drive, and my car predates our marriage by 13 years! I did not get affidavits from friends and family, but will definitely do it now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.