jons_wifey

name change at interview

11 posts in this topic

so lets just say my name before i got married was maria jones and when i got married I said to myself I would have my name as Maria jones-smith (smith is my spouse's last name), and got my GC and SS card with that name (first name maiden name- married name).

Is the interviewer still going to ask you if you "want to change your name"??

when i read peoples interview experiences and what they were asked, the name change is one of them,

so are there people here that have gotten married to a U.S citizen but still go by their maiden name on thie GC and SS card? - I am referring to an immigrant female getting married to a male U.S citizen and so that is why the interviewer asks if that person wants to change their name???

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

so lets just say my name before i got married was maria jones and when i got married I said to myself I would have my name as Maria jones-smith (smith is my spouse's last name), and got my GC and SS card with that name (first name maiden name- married name).

when i read peoples interview experiences and what they were asked, the name change is one of them,

so are there people here that have gotten married to a U.S citizen but still go by their maiden name on thie GC and SS card? - I am referring to an immigrant female getting married to a male U.S citizen and so that is why the interviewer asks if that person wants to change their name???

If you have already changed your name with the SS-office and USCIS before I don't see why you would answer this question with yes. My understanding is that this option is meant for people who want to change their name at naturalization not for people who have already done so.

Edited by ManuFred

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unless you indicated you want to do a name change on your naturalization application, they don't ask you. I changed my name back when we married...my name has been my new name since then...they don't ask you about that at the interview. They could care less which name you go by or whether you took your husband's name, hyphenated or not.

Is this the answer you're looking for?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I changed my name when we got married to my husbands last name. I did like you and changed all my id ssc and GC. I was still asked if I wanted to do a name change. I think sometimes they just ask to make sure you didn't change your mind.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I changed my name when we got married to my husbands last name. I did like you and changed all my id ssc and GC. I was still asked if I wanted to do a name change. I think sometimes they just ask to make sure you didn't change your mind.

Unlike after the marriage, at the naturalization stage you can also change your first name if you desire.

I was asked as my IO went over my application, I said no I had already changed my name to my husbands when we married. But the thing you have to remember is not everyone applying for Naturalization got a green card through marriage, or their marriages might be dissolved.

An example is that in Mexico most people get given a first name, a middle name and then their mothers maiden name and their fathers name as last names. That's an awful lot of names and most people I've met from Mexico only end up using one of their last names, because forms and paper work here aren't designed for all those names. I know when my co-worker naturalized, she changed her name to her first name, middle name and her husbands last name and removed of her family names since her name was so long (she did not get her green card through marriage to her husband). It is now much easier for her when she fills out paperwork.

There are of course, a lot of other reasons someone might choose to change their name at naturalization, such as a woman who changed their mind about taking their spouses name after they had a child together. Not all cultures have women take their spouses name. This is their "birth" as US Citizens, so the government gives them the option of going by whichever name they feel most comfortable with.

Edited by HuffyTheSlayer

The name change at natuaralization is to give foreign born the opportunity to choose an Americanized name if they wish.

Juan may want to be John. Xui Li may want to be Lisa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

Some people like to change their name completely upon becoming a U.S. citizen, not just changing the surname to reflect a married name, such as if they want to have an "American" name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes. Alla did not change her name and her green card, SS card and drivers license were her "maiden" name. She changed her name with the citizenship. Her citizenship certificate is in her married name and before the ceremony she signed off on the court order of name change, which was done by the same district judge that did the citizenship oath. There were 8 others there that changed their name. The green card is surrendered at the oath ceremony, the name on the SS card really does not matter but I suppose she will change it eventually, she will change her drivers license tomorrow ($15) and her passport will be issued in her married name as on her citizenship certificate. She also got a name change change certificate at the oath ceremony. She may or may not get around to changing her name on her credit cards, etc. Her choice.

As for the interview question, it is a question on the N-400 so I guess they are verifying the person wants to change their name or not. With citizenship you can change your name to anything you want.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will change my name !

Exactly as your example, I did Maria Jones Smith (smith is my spouse's last name) when I married and now want to change it to just Maria Smith, just to have more of a sense of family, having the same name as our son etc...

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.