ChetT

Can I sponsor parents sponsor sister ?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I am done bio for N-400. Soon to be USC.

When I get USC, I plan to sponsor my parents so that my sister can come here too. She is 14 now.

Is it possible that she will come with my parents too because she is under 21 ?

Please share your knowledge VJers :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am done bio for N-400. Soon to be USC.

When I get USC, I plan to sponsor my parents so that my sister can come here too. She is 14 now.

Is it possible that she will come with my parents too because she is under 21 ?

Please share your knowledge VJers :D

No follow me on this now,

A USC can only petition a parent, your own child or step child or spouse for a immediate visa. To petition your sister it could take from 8 to 20 years.

Your parenst as a LPR can petition their children, (your sister) it will take from 3 to 5 years. If after 3 years your parents become USC then they can petition for your sister for an immediate visa.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No follow me on this now,

A USC can only petition a parent, your own child or step child or spouse for a immediate visa. To petition your sister it could take from 8 to 20 years.

Your parenst as a LPR can petition their children, (your sister) it will take from 3 to 5 years. If after 3 years your parents become USC then they can petition for your sister for an immediate visa.

Parents cannot become US citizens after 3 years. They must wait 5 years to be eligible for citizenship.

-------------

There is no way for your sister to immigrate at the same time with both parents.

People in your situation will petition for one parent first. Once that parent immigrates that parent petitions for the other parent and your sister. It will take 2 to 3 years for the other parent to petition for his or her spouse and your sister.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A parent of a US citizen is an immediate relative visa category. Immediate relative visas don't allow for derivative visas. This means that no other family members can immigrate based on the same petition. You can't even group the parents together on the same petition - you need to file a separate petition for each parent.

You can file a separate petition for your sister. It will be a family preference F4 category visa. When your parents arrive in the US and become permanent residents then either of them can also file a petition for her. It would be an F2A family preference visa. The F2A has a considerably shorter wait than an F4, but they can't file the petition until they arrive in the US and become permanent residents, whereas you could file a petition for an F4 visa at the same time you file petitions for your parents. Be sure to add the extra wait time for your parents to immigrate when comparing the time it will take for both visa categories.

I don't know what your financial circumstances are, but if the filing fees aren't going to break the bank then it never hurts to have multiple petitioners file separate petitions. That way, if circumstances change that would invalidate one of the petitions then there are other petitions to fall back on. For example, if you file a petition for your sister as an F4 then it will take a long time before she'll be able to get a visa, but she'll remain eligible for that visa even if she's older than 21, and even if she's married. On the other hand, if your parents file a petition for an F2A and she turns 21 before her priority date is current then she'll convert to F2B, which means a longer wait. If she marries then the petition will be invalid - permanent residents can't petition for married children. Likewise, if a petitioning parent dies then the petition dies with them. It never hurts to have a backup plan.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.