Khushi81

APRIL 2012 FILERS N-400

1,015 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We dt need to be a USC to receive these benefits. Search well again.

What? :blink:

I'm talking from experience of something that happened to someone I know. They were unable to claim SS without proof of being a citizen. They had been a citizen for over 30 years...

Edited by rocks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I'm talking from experience of something that happened to someone I know. They were unable to claim SS without proof of being a citizen. They had been a citizen for over 30 years...

Nahhhh. If u are 63 years olds and u are a legal alien and u have enough credit to be retired. U will received these benefits but I'm. Not sure about Medicare.

Timeline

Nahhhh. If u are 63 years olds and u are a legal alien and u have enough credit to be retired. U will received these benefits but I'm. Not sure about Medicare.

He is a citizen, not a LPR. It was a huge mess to resolve. You should do it now while you remember. There's really no reason not to do it.

Filed: Timeline

Had my interview yesterday Raleigh-Durham NC office and I volunteered information about traffic citation I received last year (which I failed to write on the application). I was told it is ok, it will not affect my eligibility but the IO still noted it down. I passed the interview and testing but since I requested name change, I will have to wait when they have an oath taking schedule with a judge.

I am just so glad this is almost over! Congrats to others who passed and to all who are now US Citizens!!!

Congrats!!

Something else must have been going on here, or this person is not being truthful with you. This is directly from the SSA;

As a lawful permanent resident, you qualify for retirement benefits while in the United States and perhaps even if you move abroad. You need not become a U.S. citizen.

To get retirement benefits, you or your employer must have paid into the Social Security retirement system. Usually, to qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, an individual must have worked for a combined total of at least 40 quarters of a year (ten years). The period is different for individuals born before Jan. 1, 1929.

To get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States, a retiree must be legally here. However, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and even some undocumented immigrants can get those benefits if they move abroad. Anyone whose employment was subject to Social Security taxes may be eligible for these benefits.

Workers not here legally cannot get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States. Whether they can get the benefits while abroad depends partly on where the person retires. However, most undocumented immigrants who worked in the United States using a Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) can get benefits while abroad. For general information on Social Security retirement benefits, go to www.ssa.gov or call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. You can get information about collecting benefits abroad by reading the SSA’s booklet, “Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States.” You can download the booklet from the web at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.pdf.

Same goes for social security disability benefits, as long as you have enough credits.

Hope this helps and we can put this issue to bed.

Timeline

Something else must have been going on here, or this person is not being truthful with you. This is directly from the SSA;

As a lawful permanent resident, you qualify for retirement benefits while in the United States and perhaps even if you move abroad. You need not become a U.S. citizen.

To get retirement benefits, you or your employer must have paid into the Social Security retirement system. Usually, to qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, an individual must have worked for a combined total of at least 40 quarters of a year (ten years). The period is different for individuals born before Jan. 1, 1929.

To get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States, a retiree must be legally here. However, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and even some undocumented immigrants can get those benefits if they move abroad. Anyone whose employment was subject to Social Security taxes may be eligible for these benefits.

Workers not here legally cannot get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States. Whether they can get the benefits while abroad depends partly on where the person retires. However, most undocumented immigrants who worked in the United States using a Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) can get benefits while abroad. For general information on Social Security retirement benefits, go to www.ssa.gov or call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. You can get information about collecting benefits abroad by reading the SSA’s booklet, “Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States.” You can download the booklet from the web at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.pdf.

Same goes for social security disability benefits, as long as you have enough credits.

Hope this helps and we can put this issue to bed.

Why are you linking information about an LPR? As I stated previously,he is a citizen.

To get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States, a retiree must be legally here. However, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and even some undocumented immigrants can get those benefits if they move abroad.

It's really very simple. He didn't have a GC, he became a citizen over 30 years ago. They wouldn't accept his passport as proof.

And yes, you are not eligible for medicare/medicaid without being a citizen.

Timeline

Well, delivery tracking shows the USCIS got our RFE package today! Hopefully hubby gets moved over to oath ceremony letter soon!

Yay. Hopefully your journey will be over soon! And then you can go to the SS office. :lol:

Hello all,

Oath Letter recieved, Aug.8.. Schedule for August 15.

Please help update.

Thank you!

04-09-2012-------------------- Sent N-400y date: 04/11/12)

05-11-2012-------------------- Biometric Letter received!

04-16-2012-------------------- NOA received (Priority date:04/11/12)

05-25-2012-------------------- Early Biometric !!!!(05-31-12--- Biometric Appnt.)

05-30-2012---------------------Placed in Lined for Interview Scheduling!!!

06-29-2012---------------------N-400 Notification,Scheduled for Interview!

07-05-2012---------------------Interview Letter received!

07-30-2012---------------------Interview! APPROVED!!!!

08-08-2012---------------------Oath Letter recieved!

08-15-2012---------------------Oath Ceremony!!!!

Why are you linking information about an LPR? As I stated previously,he is a citizen.

It's really very simple. He didn't have a GC, he became a citizen over 30 years ago. They wouldn't accept his passport as proof.

And yes, you are not eligible for medicare/medicaid without being a citizen.

I realize that he is a citizen. But he was not a citizen according to SSA. For most, if not all of us on this forum, the road to us citizenship is through a green card. (don't know if there is another way). So, even if he had not updated SSA, SSA most likely would have him listed as a lpr, and he still would have qualified for ss benefits. So, that leads me to assume that there are other factors at play here. Citizenship is a none factor for ss benefits.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I realize that he is a citizen. But he was not a citizen according to SSA. For most, if not all of us on this forum, the road to us citizenship is through a green card. (don't know if there is another way). So, even if he had not updated SSA, SSA most likely would have him listed as a lpr, and he still would have qualified for ss benefits. So, that leads me to assume that there are other factors at play here. Citizenship is a none factor for ss benefits.

I agree

Timeline

There are no other factors. It is as simple as that. As I previously stated, he didn't have a GC. How is he supposed to prove he is here legally? It's really not complicated. You should read what I quoted in my previous post. Here it is again.

To get Social Security retirement benefits while in the United States, a retiree must be legally here. However, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and even some undocumented immigrants can get those benefits if they move abroad.

How can you prove you are here legally with no GC? :bonk:

I really don't see why you are making such a big deal about this. You should go to the SS office and change your status, there is no reason not to go other than wanting to argue on the internet.

Edited by rocks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I had a messed up dream last night, lol.

So I'm in this building that has a multi level covered car park. I have no idea where this is but I know I'm at an immigration office. I'm talking to people as we wait and someone asked me if I have signed in yet. I replied no and they said I'd have to have my letter with me to do it. Somehow I left it out in the car so I go and get it.

When I get back there is a gate much like the security at the airports with a big black box at the top that is counting down the seconds before they close, if you get inside before they close your ok. Its counting down 3 -2 - 1 , I start going inside as it shows zero. The immigration guy shakes his finger at me and tells me no, its too late to come in. I tell him I have an interview appointment and wave my letter. He sighs and lets me in.

I'm standing at the counter while he goies through my stuff and this preist comes up to me and hands me a bible and tells me to hold it in my left hand and with my right finger make the sign of the corss on the cover. While I'm doing this he startes talking and reciting something and then says congratulations your now an American.

Then I woke up, lol I have never had such a messed up dream like that before. BTW my interviews on Monday, think that had anything to do with this dream?! :rofl:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.