Sharon

So, do you tip your MAID?

57 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

yes. i try to tip $5/day. everyday. once in a while i do not have small bills and make up for it the next day. but i am told that in some establishments the maids do no share the tips so if you miss day and it was the last day of that paritcular maid, then she will not see the tip money.

tipping in general. i too do not understand it completely, well i do, but i just accept it as is. i'd much rather everyone get paid a decent wage and tips would be reserved for 'exceptional' servies rendered, similar to the bonuses i get at my place of employment.

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

We ALWAYS tip the housekeepers when we stay places. Mostly because we appreciate them cleaning up our mess. And because it's the right thing to do. A small handful of times we have found ourselves short on small bills and have been unable to leave a tip. After that happens, I usually toss out my toothbrush (as they say, don't mess with the people who prepare your food; and I'll add in the ones who are cleaning your toilet). I have always learned that any time a personal service is performed; something you could have done yourself, but are receiving service for, a tip is in order, unless such things are forbidden (such as for educators who receive a salary). Someone mentioned the postman-I have actually read places that you are supposed to tip them too. And the newspaper boy, etc...

Also, the last place we stayed, we left a tip every day but it was still there when we got back to the room. So I had Javier hunt down the housekeeping ladies to make sure they got it!! :lol:

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Also, the last place we stayed, we left a tip every day but it was still there when we got back to the room. So I had Javier hunt down the housekeeping ladies to make sure they got it!! :lol:

That has happened to me before too. sharon, what do you reccomend? Mostly I leave the bills under a glass. If it isn't picked up, i inclde it the next day's stash with a not 'TIP'. I imagine the maids are under orders not to take money willie nillie. right? :huh:

Daniel

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Ok, a thank you note cool. Now, do you do it every day or once at the end of the stay? I guess every day. If the room is 100.00 / night what is the right tip? 5, 10?

I think it depends on the particular establishment that you are staying in of course, but where I work, the guests who leave a tip generally do so at the end of their stay. :yes: There's no real "right" tip, I don't think, we get wide variations that seem to simply depend upon how wealthy a particular guest might be....lol. :P

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

According to Wikipedia:

United States is legally optional (by definition, a "gratuity" can never be a required part of compensation[6]), but has become so ingrained in the culture that it is considered mandatory by many.[citation needed] The wide variety of professions, in addition to the varying percentages and amounts which are expected of each profession, arguably gives the United States the distinction of having the most common (and complicated) tipping culture in the world.

* Waiters: 15% is generally accepted as a standard tip for good service, though higher tips (>20%) are common for exceptional service. With large parties, an automatic 15–20% tip is sometimes added to the check.

* Busser (Tip generally not expected, as tip sharing with the waiters sometimes occurs)

* Restaurant take-away/curbside servers typically do expect a tip although the standard for good service (usually the same person takes your order, bags it up, and brings it to your car) is 10% as they are not providing the extent of services that a waiter would provide.

* Hotel bellman/bellhop/porters ($1 to $2 per bag) $1-$2 extra for other services(getting ice, arranging dinner reservations or show tickets.)

* Hotel maids ($2 per day)

* Hotel room service (15-20%; Same as restaurant gratuity below.)

* Hotel concierge ($5 to $10)

* Hotel doorman ($1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 for hailing a cab)

* Sommeliers (15% of the cost of the bottle)

* Bartenders ($1 per drink or 15% of bar bill)

* Restroom attendant ($0.50 to $1)

* Taxicab drivers (15%)

* Limo drivers (15-25%)

* Valet parking attendants ($1 to $5 upon arrival and departure; make sure to tip person actually parking and/or delivering vehicle)

* Hairdressers/barbers (10% in small towns, 15-20% in cities; Tip is expected whether the stylist is the proprietor or not.)

* Manicurist (15%)

* Spa service (15-20%)

* Pizza (and other food) delivery-persons (10% of total, at least $3. In most cases, the delivery driver pays for his or her fuel. Many companies use contractors who receive no hourly wage.)

* Curbside luggage handlers at airports ($1 per bag)

* Coat checker ($1 per coat)

* Ski instructors (sometimes, especially when giving a private lesson)

* Piercers and tattoo artists (body piercers generally 10%, tattoo artists %20)

* Movers ($20 to $30 per mover plus extra for stairs)

* Large or heavy deliveries ($5 to $10 per person)

* Shoe shiners

* Tour Guides/Tour Bus operators (only private guides)

* Karaoke disc jockey ($1 per song)

* Mechanical bull operator ($1 per ride)

* Golf Caddies ($10 to $20 per bag carried, but sometimes more is given) [citation needed]

* Golf Club Cleaners: $3.00 per bag

* Camp Counselor: Many higher-class summer camps encourage parents to tip at least $20 per camper

* Gas station attendant from $.50 - $5.00 (median is $1, mean is around $1.33)[citation needed](Minimum service gas station attendants are never tipped.)

* At a buffet: $1 per person; if staff bring free beverages to the table, 25¢ for each drink

* Poker dealers: $1 per pot other than blind steals, which require no tip. Often, more is given if the pot is very large. Similarly, chip runners are tipped for bringing chips or exchanging denominations.

Employees in occupations where tipping is common typically receive very low salaries and receive the bulk, if not all, of their compensation in tips.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
I've seen others traveling in a group leave coins. To me that's an insult.

Yeah, either leave more than $1 or don't leave anything, imo. I usually leave $5/night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That has happened to me before too. sharon, what do you reccomend? Mostly I leave the bills under a glass. If it isn't picked up, i inclde it the next day's stash with a not 'TIP'. I imagine the maids are under orders not to take money willie nillie. right? :huh:

Daniel

Yup....explicit orders that any money left out is not to be assumed as a tip unless it is clearly obviously so. Either with a note stating such or the guest has checked out and it has clearly been left behind as a tip. :yes:

Some of the hotels I've stayed in had a small, envelope somewhere in the room with a notation like "your room valet"

Yes, I myself have stayed at places with such an envelope. No envelopes like that at my workplace tho. :no:

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I tip maids because I used to be one! :star:

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

I tip maids because I used to be one! :star:

Thank you! I AM one! hehe :D

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I always leave a tip with a note which says 'for housekeeping' just so there's no doubt

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

I always leave a tip with a note which says 'for housekeeping' just so there's no doubt

:thumbs: