smkr

Marrying a US Citizen while on Visitors Visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Can a person who is on a visitor's visa marry a US Citizen and apply for K-3 Visa? Is that ok. If the K-3 visa does not arrive before the Visitors visa expires, can the beneficiary leave the US and recieve the visa in their home country?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K-3 is a waste of time and money. Apply for CR-1. A visa will not be issued until you have a medical and pass the interview in your own home country.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Can a person who is on a visitor's visa marry a US Citizen and apply for K-3 Visa? Is that ok. If the K-3 visa does not arrive before the Visitors visa expires, can the beneficiary leave the US and recieve the visa in their home country?

K3 is dead. CR1 is the visa for newlyweds. To answer your question, no special visa is required to marry in the USA. The K1 fiancee visa is for marriage AND staying afterward. If you have a visitor visa and wish to marry in the USA, certainly you may do so but be aware that each entry is a separate decision by a CBP officer, so a visa is not a guarantee of entry.

The foreigner does not "apply for" a spouse visa in any way similar to a visitor visa. The process starts with the US Citizen filing a petition. Months later, the petition is approved and the foreigner applies for a visa abroad.

Visitor visa expiration dates are not the issue. Visitors must leave by the end of their allowed stay. Generally that date bears no relationship to the date their visa expires. Visa expiration is the last day the visa may be used to ENTER a country. In the USA, the I-94 stapled to the passport upon entry will show the date by which the visitor must leave the USA.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Please ignore my knowledge for this type of case.

1. Visitor can marry a US Citizen. YES

2. Does he/she has to go back to home country to get visa? ??????

3. Can US citizen apply for adjustment of status and file all the papers here in US? ?????

4. Are we sure that visitor has to go back to apply for visa in his/her home country? ??????

Can someone please answer my questions?

Edited by Deep2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Please ignore my knowledge for this type of case.

1. Visitor can marry a US Citizen. YES

2. Does he/she has to go back to home country to get visa? ??????

3. Can US citizen apply for adjustment of status and file all the papers here in US? ?????

4. Are we sure that visitor has to go back to apply for visa in his/her home country? ??????

Can someone please answer my questions?

if you come to the usa on visitor visa with the intent to marry and stay thats called visa fraud.....

If you come to the usa on visitor visa with the intent to marry and leave that is not fraud.....and the s/o has to return to his or her country while the usa spouse apply s for petition for marriage visa

sara

Timeline

If I'm not wrong, going to the US on a visitor visa with intent to marry is FRAUD. You might want to look that up!

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I'm not wrong, going to the US on a visitor visa with intent to marry is FRAUD. You might want to look that up!

You are wrong. Very wrong. There is nothing fraud about it.

The fraud is going with the intent of marrying and then staying and adjusting status to green card holder. That is fraud.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You ARE wrong, so your statement can be disregarded. Marriage isn't the issue. Intent to marry AND TO STAY to adjust status, can be considered visa fraud in some situations.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have read this recently:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/358873-aos-from-b2-tourism-visa/

But it's very clear that all cases are different, the most important is NEVER LIE TO THE OFFICERS AT PORT OF ENTRY AND NEVER OVERSTAY YOUR TOURIST VISA!

Marriage: June 21, 2011

USCIS (179 days - 5 months and 27 days)

I-130 mailed: August 24, 2011

NOA1: September 1, 2011

Touched: September 6, 2011

NOA2: February 27, 2012

NVC - 30 days

NVC Received: March 05, 2012

NVC assigns case #: March 09, 2012

E-mailed choice of agent according to VJ's sample: March 13, 2012

Received AOS package and I-864 bill: March 14, 2012

Paid I-864 bill: March 15, 2012

I-864 bill status PAID: March 16, 2012

Mailed AOS package: March 19, 2012

NVC’s operator informed on the phone they accepted AOS package: March 23, 2012

Received checklist for the DS-3032: March 23, 2012 (the first electronic choice of agent didn’t get through…)

Resent electronic choice of agent to NVC: March 23, 2012

NVC accepts electronic choice of agent: March 26, 2012

IV bill invoiced: March 27, 2012

IV bill paid: March 28, 2012

IV bill status PAID: March 29, 2012

Mailed IV package: March 29, 2012

CASE COMPLETE: April 04, 2012

NVC left and interview scheduled: April 06, 2012

Interview date: May 30, 2012

Result: APPROVED!!!!

976029h8.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

You can not get married with a visitor visa in the U.S. You're gonna put yourself in trouble if you do that. It means you commit a visa fraud.

Edited by eaglewest

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

You can not get married with a visitor visa in the U.S. You're gonna put yourself in trouble if you do that. It means you commit a visa fraud.

Wrong again. Does anybody read what's already been posted before the post this malarkey?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

If I'm not wrong, here is what it should be said from where I got this info:

Tourist visa or visitor visa is for temporary visits only. It is not intended for use by people who intend to immigrate to the United States. It is okay if you plan to get married on a tourist visa in the U.S. and then go home to your own country. But to enter the U.S. on the visa with the intent to get married and stay there permanently by getting a green card is committing visa fraud. So when you apply for and enter on a tourist visa, make sure it's for vacation only.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

If I'm not wrong, here is what it should be said from where I got this info:

Tourist visa or visitor visa is for temporary visits only. It is not intended for use by people who intend to immigrate to the United States. It is okay if you plan to get married on a tourist visa in the U.S. and then go home to your own country. But to enter the U.S. on the visa with the intent to get married and stay there permanently by getting a green card is committing visa fraud. So when you apply for and enter on a tourist visa, make sure it's for vacation only.

In most circumstances, the above is correct but you cited no source. Note the operative word is "immigrate", not "marry". Where the above does not directly apply is when the marriage is to a US Citizen. Intent alone, is not an issue then. What is at issue is whether any actual lies were told in the entry inspection interview. Failure to mention something is not considered a lie in this context.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Wrong again. Does anybody read what's already been posted before the post this malarkey?

Alrite, alrite... I did state in there "If I'm not wrong."

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think you have confused 'K-3 visa' with 'adjustment of status'.

A K-3 visa 'arrives' at an IV Unit overseas, after a successful interview at an IV Unit overseas.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.