AKSinghSingh79

Work reference hang ups

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'm just curious, have references been in issue for you or your foreign spouse when looking for work in the U.S.?

I would imagine that this issue could be a problem for some, as most U.S. employers would not take the time or effort to contact a reference when they are non-U.S. based employers.

So what have those of you done in this position when being interviewed? Did you get the job? If you didn't get the job did you think it had anything to do with the lack of U.S. work experience/U.S. based work references?

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I used my work reference in my country when I applied job. They actually called HR from my previous company during my background check. I seemed to have no problem. It helped probably that I worked in big company in my country. Good Luck!

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I've had one job (temp) after moving here. I have written references which helped a lot however I keep getting told "longevitiy" is an issue. I fricken CHANGED COUNTRIES of course that cut off my longevity!!

I have had too much issue with "US work experience" (not that I've been told) and the written references have made a difference. Depending on the timezone some of us immigrant will be okay having prior employers called. For me Australia's business hours are close to exactly opposite with the US... there's practically no overlap so calling any previous employers is next to impossible (unless they're willing to call in the off hours here to get the on hours there :P. Not to mention I've been here since Sept 2009 so it's been a LONG time since I've worked for some of them :P

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

I also have written references which have been useful. But I have also found that employers will accept emailed references and so that has worked well so far with obtaining them from my previous employers in the UK.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I put references on my job applications from my home country. I had a job 1 day after receiving the EAD. It didn't turn out to me an obstacle for me however I did some research/data managing for a professor who's internationally known which probably helped with determining who I was work wise. I also brought along the same police report(a copy of it) as I handed in at the embassy since a background check in the US won't really show anything from my home country.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

But I have also found that employers will accept emailed references and so that has worked well so far with obtaining them from my previous employers in the UK.

Email references are a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by kennard

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I put references on my job applications from my home country. I had a job 1 day after receiving the EAD. It didn't turn out to me an obstacle for me however I did some research/data managing for a professor who's internationally known which probably helped with determining who I was work wise. I also brought along the same police report(a copy of it) as I handed in at the embassy since a background check in the US won't really show anything from my home country.

Police reports from the home country is a great idea. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion! I hope that this will help others.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Have your spouse start volunteering here in the US. Showing a commitment to his/her community always looks good on a resume. Also, your spouse will get to interact with others in the community and can establish both personal and professional references. Just because the work isn't for pay doesn't mean they aren't showing valuable skills that would justify a professional reference. Also, many executives at companies volunteer in the community and serve on the boards of charities. This could be the chance for your spouse to interact with and impress people in a position to help him/her find a job.

Bec & Dipu

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2010-11-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-01

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-04-21

NVC Received : 2011-04-27

NVC Left : 2011-05-05

Embassy Rcvd : 2011-05-08

Pack 3 Rcvd : 2011-05-11

Pack 3 Sent : 2011-06-23

Pack 4 Rcvd : 2011-07-08

Interview : 2011-08-03

Visa Received : 2011-11-09

POE : 2012-01-13

Marriage : 2012-01-21

AOS/EAD Sent : 2012-02-13

NOA1 : 2012-02-22

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

While we were at the NVC stage, my wife got a few written references on previous employer's stationary and then took them to the official gov't translation services department. At that time she was starting to apply for job's here. She was offered a job and contained with her app and resume were these job reference letters and it may have contributed to her being able to be offered a job, unfortunately she wasn't able to accept it as her interview was February 7 and they wanted her to start working in January. We ended up okay as she started a LLC to do consulting work for her and her brother's company back in Greece.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.