janulka27

Applying for AOS: some general questions and I-485 questions

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I need your help again! I am about to file for AOS and there are few things regarding I-485 that are unclear to us:

1. As my family name - should I use my new surname - I took my husband's surname or should I use my maiden name?

2. I still don't have SSN - I read that I should apply for it two weeks after the arrival - to give them enough time to process my information. Can I file for AOS before having SSN?

3. What do they mean by A# ? - the officer at customs wrote a number on the back side of the I-94 that starts with an "A" - do they mean that one? Or is it the Number of I-94 printed on the front side of this form?

2. Current USCIS Status: My current status is still K1 holder, right?

3. Expires on: Which date should I write there - the one that is on my Visa in the passport or the date written on my I-94 - the officer wrote there a date.

4. In what status did you last enter? - In my case it's again K1, right?

5. Letter from employer confirming employment - Will a copy of what we already turned in at the consulate be OK? Or it has to be an original again?

5. Plus, I need them to send me the GC to a different address - not to that one where I'm currently living with my husband. Where should I write it? We're going to stay at the current address only two months more...

Thank you a lot for your help in advance!!!

Click this link http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples and it will give you a sample forms on how to fill-up AOS Forms along with other Forms like EAD/AP etc.

With regards to (Surname) always use your Husband Surname on all AOS /EAD /AP Forms the same thing we did on our application.

On SSN you should apply ASAP (after 2 weeks from your Arrival)cause SSN is required on all AOS forms and needed as well for medical and bank transactions.

Expiration will be on 1-94 which is 90 days after your arrival.

A# will be the Beneficiary number on your NOA2.

You are still a K-1 Visa Holder and entered under K-1 visa as well.

You can advice change of address using AR-11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi i will share what i did to my aos just lately;

1.I use married name because this is the name i would like to appear on my GC

2.YES U CAN file AOS w/o SSN u can get ssn AFTER you recieve your EAD if your 1-94 expired already

3.A# stand for alien number u can find it on your approval letter or NOA2 when your fiance petition you or u can find it at the back of your 1-94 card on ur port of entry

4.yes,k-1 fiance(e) visa

5.mine i submit original,with original signature of my husband's employer or boss

6.i would think you can write your address now,because they send you a letter about the progress of your application,biometeric,reciept of ur application and maybe interview,if you move to any different address you can always chnage your address on the USCIS WEBSITE.you have yo update them if you move in to a different place,

goodluck

masipag

Edited by masipag

Hi there,

1. You can use your married name or your maiden name, it is your choice. If you want your GC and EAD/AP to have your married name on it, fill out the forms using your married name.

2. You don't need an SSN to adjust status.

3. A# means your "Alien Number". It will be on the visa in your passport, it will also be on the back of your I-9 form. It usually has an A and is followed by 9 numbers. #AXXX-XXX-XXX

4.K1 Visa holder.

5.Use the date written on your I-9. The visa expiry date on your visa is the time you had to enter the US before the visa became expired.

6.K1 VISA holder.

7. I sent an original employment letter, just to be sure. I'm sure someone else could better advise you as to whether a photocopy would be okay.

8. When you move address go to the USCIS website and you can fill out the form AR-11 online. This will change your address. If you have a case still pending you must also call up to manually to check if your address has been updated. You must update your address within 10 days of moving.

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

Others have answered your questions, but I'll throw in my $0.02

Hi All,

I need your help again! I am about to file for AOS and there are few things regarding I-485 that are unclear to us:

1. As my family name - should I use my new surname - I took my husband's surname or should I use my maiden name?

Use which ever name you would like the GC in--since you took your husband's name then use your married name. I just want ot point out that there is no requirement to do so, this is a personal choice.

2. I still don't have SSN - I read that I should apply for it two weeks after the arrival - to give them enough time to process my information. Can I file for AOS before having SSN?

No need for a SSN to file AOS, but you really should apply for the SSN ASAP as it is one of those items you need in order to start your life in the US. It may not be an official ID card, but just see how many people want that number.

3. What do they mean by A# ? - the officer at customs wrote a number on the back side of the I-94 that starts with an "A" - do they mean that one? Or is it the Number of I-94 printed on the front side of this form?

The A# is your alien registration number that references your file within the USCIS. It was on your NOA2 when the petition was approved above the beneficiary's name--it is nine digits long.

2. Current USCIS Status: My current status is still K1 holder, right?

Fiancee visa. So correct.

3. Expires on: Which date should I write there - the one that is on my Visa in the passport or the date written on my I-94 - the officer wrote there a date.

This is the expitation date written on the I-94 form you received at the POE. Remember to make a copy of the front and back and include with the application.

4. In what status did you last enter? - In my case it's again K1, right?

Fiancee visa so again correct.

5. Letter from employer confirming employment - Will a copy of what we already turned in at the consulate be OK? Or it has to be an original again?

Depends on how much time has elasped since the first letter. For us it was several months and getting a new letter was not a problem. Plus it showed my new salary.

5. Plus, I need them to send me the GC to a different address - not to that one where I'm currently living with my husband. Where should I write it? We're going to stay at the current address only two months more...

Unfgortunately the I-485 for does not have a mailing address area. Typically the BIO appointement letter arrives within the first month or so. Knowing that I would put your current address and then do a change of address within the 10 day time limit after you actually move. Unless you can get the mail at the new address now. If the old and new addresses are not too far apart, you may want to look into a vacation hold at the old address once you move. I know you can do that for 30 days and pick themail up every week.

Thank you a lot for your help in advance!!!

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

4. Current USCIS Status: My current status is still K1 holder, right?

5. Expires on: Which date should I write there - the one that is on my Visa in the passport or the date written on my I-94 - the officer wrote there a date.

6. In what status did you last enter? - In my case it's again K1, right?

7. Letter from employer confirming employment - Will a copy of what we already turned in at the consulate be OK? Or it has to be an original again?

8. Plus, I need them to send me the GC to a different address - not to that one where I'm currently living with my husband. Where should I write it? We're going to stay at the current address only two months more...

1. Whatever name you want on the card you write on the forms. So yes, your new surname.

2. A SSN is not required for AOS but you should apply before there is less than 2 weeks on your I-94 as this is often required to start adding you to bills etc that you will need to do to show proof of relationship.

3. On the NOA2 (K1 petition approval) notice. It can be in other places but this is the only place to trust

4. Yes.

5. I-94

6. Yes

7. You should get a new one. I believe some people have used the "old" one but it really depends on how long ago it was. They need proof he is STILL employed

8. It might be beneficial to get a PO Box and use that. It is not safe to move address during the process.

Most of these questions are answered on the guides and also on the example forms.

Click this link http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples and it will give you a sample forms on how to fill-up AOS Forms along with other Forms like EAD/AP etc.

With regards to (Surname) always use your Husband Surname on all AOS /EAD /AP Forms the same thing we did on our application.

On SSN you should apply ASAP (after 2 weeks from your Arrival)cause SSN is required on all AOS forms and needed as well for medical and bank transactions.

Expiration will be on 1-94 which is 90 days after your arrival.

A# will be the Beneficiary number on your NOA2.

You are still a K-1 Visa Holder and entered under K-1 visa as well.

You can advice change of address using AR-11

Thank you!!

hi i will share what i did to my aos just lately;

1.I use married name because this is the name i would like to appear on my GC

2.YES U CAN file AOS w/o SSN u can get ssn AFTER you recieve your EAD if your 1-94 expired already

3.A# stand for alien number u can find it on your approval letter or NOA2 when your fiance petition you or u can find it at the back of your 1-94 card on ur port of entry

4.yes,k-1 fiance(e) visa

5.mine i submit original,with original signature of my husband's employer or boss

6.i would think you can write your address now,because they send you a letter about the progress of your application,biometeric,reciept of ur application and maybe interview,if you move to any different address you can always chnage your address on the USCIS WEBSITE.you have yo update them if you move in to a different place,

goodluck

masipag

Thank you!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.