ngant17

language hurdles

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My K1 fiancee Vilma recently emailed me and stated that she is a little worried, she doesn't feel that she can become very fluent in English after arriving here. She can read words but the speaking and listening parts are the big hurdle for her. I told her not to worry about it, a minimum vocabulary in English should suffice in the beginning. Besides, her native language is Spanish and as we plan to live in Florida, there is a substantial population of Spanish-speakers here which would help to smooth her transition in a work environment.

I wonder if anyone has any experiences about this, i.e., how long did it take for your K1/spouse to adjust to different language situation here, especially in the local workplace? Are there any suggestions for me? My fiancee is not young, she is 45 which is close to my age, so I guess it gets more difficult to learn languages as you get older. I'm willing to become more fluent in Spanish, as that might help on the home front.

Texas Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2005-10-02

I-129F NOA1: 2005-10-06

I-129F RFE(s): 2006-01-03

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-03-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-03-21

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-08-02

Consulate Received : 2006-08-12

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-05-23

Visa Received : 2009-11-15

US Entry : 2010-04-20

Marriage : 2010-05-10

Comments : USINT requested her CV at interview, additional delay.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
My K1 fiancee Vilma recently emailed me and stated that she is a little worried, she doesn't feel that she can become very fluent in English after arriving here. She can read words but the speaking and listening parts are the big hurdle for her. I told her not to worry about it, a minimum vocabulary in English should suffice in the beginning. Besides, her native language is Spanish and as we plan to live in Florida, there is a substantial population of Spanish-speakers here which would help to smooth her transition in a work environment.

I wonder if anyone has any experiences about this, i.e., how long did it take for your K1/spouse to adjust to different language situation here, especially in the local workplace? Are there any suggestions for me? My fiancee is not young, she is 45 which is close to my age, so I guess it gets more difficult to learn languages as you get older. I'm willing to become more fluent in Spanish, as that might help on the home front.

My wife (51) from Spain entered in mid-December and the neighbors can understand her now.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Hi ngnat you should post this under Off Topic as it is not related to K1

Thanks

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am sure it might be easier for her than she is thinking. I also know they have ESL classes that are free and can be found in most areas (English for Speakers of other languages or English Second Language, I have seen it both ways). My husband was tested and is taking the classes as a good reinforcement of what he knows and was giving him something to do at that time. Good Luck, it will all work out. I know easy for me to say since I didn't have to learn a different language :D

Doreen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi Ngant17: My name is Melvin I'm hispanic and my fiancee Patricia is from Colombia, what we did ever since we decided to get engaged and start this whole process was that she enrolled in school for english back in Colombia, it was not easy for her at first (she is 37) but in just about 8 months she learned a lot, I realize that this might not help you now, but you can try to have your fiancee enroll in esl classes for adults once she's here in the US, watch tv in english most of the time I know this helps because that is how I got started years ago, also you could try buying for both of you the "ingles sin barreras" (english without barriers) system, it is a little expensive but it is good.

Take care,

Mel :thumbs:

09-28-04 MET PATRICIA THRU HER AUNT

01-26-05 TRAVELED TO COLOMBIA ( OH YEAH WE'RE IN LOVE)

02-04-05 ENGAGED

10-11-05 K1 Sent (VERMONT SERVICE CENTER)

10-19-05 NOA-1

12-12-05 NOA-2 Approved

12-17-05 REC'D @ NVC

12-20-05 SENT TO BOGOTA

01-03-06 PACKET 3 ARRIVES

01-05-06 CHECKLIST FAXED & MAILED TO EMBASSY

01-23-06 INTERVIEW DATE 02-27-06 (ACCORDING TO EMBASSY WEBSITE)

02-06-06 PACKET 4 ARRIVES (INTERVIEW DATE NOW OFICIAL)

02-21-06 PATRICIA TRAVELS TO BOGOTA

02-22-06 LAB

02-23-06 MEDICAL & VISA PAYMENT

02-27-06 INTERVIEW 7:00 AM (APPROVED)

02-28-06 VISA ON HAND, RETURNS TO BUCARAMANGA

03-11-06 SHE ARRIVES IN PENNSYLVANIA!!!!! :)

05-25-06 @ 3:15PM. WE GET MARRIED

10-04-06 I-485 SENT TO CHICAGO (NO EAD OR AP)

10-17-06 RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT FOR 10-19-06 @ 9:00AM

10-18-06 E-MAIL, CASE TRANSFERRED TO CSC

10-19-06 BIOMETRICS DONE, TIME TO START WAITING AGAIN . . . .

11-08-06 NO MORE WAITING, I-485 APPROVED ON 11-07-06, DONE! FOR 2 YEARS ANYWAY......

11-13-06 GREEN CARD (PERFECT) AND WELCOME LETTER RECEIVED IN MAIL, NICE THANKSGIVING

PRESENT!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My fiance came here without knowing much English and she is taking ESL classes but she talks to all her friends and family in Spanish and is making very slow progress (we took an interpreter to our AOS interview also.) She is in her 2nd semester of ESL classes (level 4) and may have to go another semester or 2 (they only go up to 6 levels!) She has been here since late August - she does have friends/family in Florida some of them actually speak extremely little English (even after 2 or 3 years) but are working! Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi Ngant17

your wife will probably feel right at home in Florida, especially if you are from south or central florida, as 1/4 to 1/2 the population there seems to be hispanic now. The reason I say this is because I live in florida also, and everywhere you go you find someone who speaks spanish. Sometimes, english seems to be the second language in certain areas. She does, however, need to learn English, and I would say classes would be the best bet for that. Florida has ESL classes all over the place, try a community college or a Votech center.

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

One key to learning English quickly is immersion in English. While a Spanish-speaking community may help her feel comfortable, it won't necessarily help her learn English quickly.

Lucy's been making fast progress through her ESL classes offered at a local community college. The classes are more than half native speakers of Spanish. But she's somewhat jealous of her classmate who is Indonesian and another who is Romanian. They are making faster progress than any of the Spanish speakers, because they have no alternative but to speak English full-time.

Learning to be fluent in a foreign language is a difficult and sometimes frustrating thing. The technique of total immersion which leads to the fastest learning can be very frustrating. Whereas sticking to situations where one can get by on one's native language is much more comfortable and reassuring, it tends to slow the process of learning English.

Let her have as much English language immersion as she can tolerate without going crazy, and she'll learn quickly. Age isn't a barrier.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I teach English to mostly Spanish-speaking immigrants in the St. Petersburg, FL area. The classes are free and very effective. Your fiance won't have a problem learning English and should be fairly fluent within a year if she studies regularly. She can take classes at local universities or community colleges, or find a free class. Contact Christine Cimilluca at the University of South Florida in Tampa (ccimillu@coed.usf.edu or call 813-974-2780) for information on free classes or other educational offerings in the Orlando area.

You're fortunate that her native language is Spanish - the alphabet is the same, and there are many common words with English. My first wife was Russian and she was able to pass an accounting course after a year of studying English here (and she was older than your fiance). My present fiance is Chinese. Neither Russian nor Chinese have much similarity to English. But I call my fiance in China every day for about 30 minutes and have her repeat English words from a dictionary, and repeat simple sentences. Her English is good enough after 1.5 months that she can understand basic things I tell her and she can tell me simple things about her activities.

If you want to get a dictionary for her, buy the Oxford Picture Dictionary, English/Spanish edition. It has great pictures of all the words, so it's fun to look at. I've seen it at Barnes & Noble, or order it from Amazon.com.

Tell your fiance not to worry - there's a lot of help avaliable, especially in Florida! She'll be speaking English fluently before she knows it.

P.S. - Turn on the captioning on your TV so she can see the English words as she listens to the audio. That's the trick that all the Russian immigrants use in San Francisco!

If I can help, send me an email.

Brian

12-19-05: Mailed I-129F

12-28-05: Received at CSC

01-4-06: NOA1

3-15-06 NOA2

3-5-07: interview passed!

4-19-07: scheduled to fly to JFK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Well you can reasure your fiance that most major cities in the US are very heavily populated with Spainsh speaking individuals. If your city is not a 50/50 mix, you can always move to the west coast where Spanish speaking people out number "English only" speaking people... tell her there is nothing to worry about speaking Spanish in the US. I am very fluent in Spanish and that is only because the kids I went to school with taught me... lol.... she doesn't have anything to worry about... good luck!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.