GoBeau

"Extended Review" after Husband's Naturalization Interview?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hello everyone. My husband is Hungarian and had his naturalization interview January 5. (We applied through marriage five years ago.) He passed the civics/writing part but the interviewer seemed to have an issue with him, questioning why we redacted financial/account data in our financial documents (our attorney said this was ok) and also expressed shock over the value of our life insurance policy.

My husband had all required documentation, but the interviewer told my husband he wasn't satisfied it was a real marriage and he needed a utility bill. Apparently the birth certificates of our twin girls were not enough...it seemed all to come down to a utility bill. He gave my husband another appointment for March 2. My husband, who is desperately awaiting his citizenship so he can apply for a government agency position before he gets too old, explained this to the officer. The officer said that he appointment was solely so he could drop off additional documentation and that my husband could provide this documentation prior to that date to speed things up.

We contacted our attorney, changed all of our utilities into both of our names, pulled every single imaginable document from every creditor/banking institution and had the attorney hand-deliver a large package of documents on Jan. 19. The officer appeared very satisfied with the new material and the attorney thought we would be getting oath ceremony info within a month. Still nothing March 1, so just to ensure nothing could go wrong, my husband and the attorney showed up for the March 2 appointment, saw the officer who said they actually hadn't needed to show up for the appointment, said he approved the application but it was with the supervisor for "extended review" and would not elaborate -- all of this strangely without making any eye contact at all.

Our lawyer has since written the supervisor and we have contacted our congresswoman (awaiting feedback) to get some idea as to what is going on. We know it's only been two months, but it definitely seems like there is an unusual holdup. Has anyone had a similar issue? I should add that my husband was with a government law enforcement agency in Hungary, currently works in the security industry (private sector), has worked as security consultant for some very high level individuals and has a weapons permit in most states. Could this have anything to do with the delay? I would think these would be 'good' things. Thanks so much for any thoughts you might have!

Edited by GoBeau

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Looks bit unusual to ask for the utility bill after producing all the other documents.I guess it is ok they can ask if they want to ask. I think you made the right steps hiring an atty and contacting your congressman. I am sure things will work out fine. Relax and give it some time to get things sorted out.

Filed: Other Timeline

I think you need to get a hold of yourself. You bugged the I.O. for not approving him on the spot. You retained an attorney. You had an attorney hand-deliver documents requested. You then showed up to the second appointment. You contacted a congressman. What's next? Calling President Obama?

Everything so far is totally normal procedure. Becoming a U.S. citizen is a big deal, so the I.O. needs to make sure that everything is in order, especially since his assessment is evaluated again by his superior. Tell you what, if I was the I.O., I'd be so p*ssed that I would let your husband wait a lot longer than necessary, just because he lacks what is a virtue: patience.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I think you need to get a hold of yourself. You bugged the I.O. for not approving him on the spot. You retained an attorney. You had an attorney hand-deliver documents requested. You then showed up to the second appointment. You contacted a congressman. What's next? Calling President Obama?

Everything so far is totally normal procedure. Becoming a U.S. citizen is a big deal, so the I.O. needs to make sure that everything is in order, especially since his assessment is evaluated again by his superior. Tell you what, if I was the I.O., I'd be so p*ssed that I would let your husband wait a lot longer than necessary, just because he lacks what is a virtue: patience.

I appreciate your response but don't see why you had to be so sarcastic.

Timeline

IMHO you are going to be fine. I really don't think that making no eye contact is bad. It is just bad communication, that's all. As for your husband working in the past for the Hungarian government, I don't think it really matters one way or the other. They did not question him about that, so I think they know everything about that they want to know.

Good luck!

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I appreciate your response but don't see why you had to be so sarcastic.

Totally agree with u! He loves to give those kind of unnecessary answers. First we pay that I.O salary, so we are entitle to a decent service. after all we are paying every possible fee there is out there it's not like the government it's giving citizenship away for free. And if she feels the process has take longer than it should she should be able to do whatever she can in her power. My mom taught me that IF U DONT HAVE anything NICE to say, DON'T SAY nothing at all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Totally agree with u! He loves to give those kind of unnecessary answers. First we pay that I.O salary, so we are entitle to a decent service. after all we are paying every possible fee there is out there it's not like the government it's giving citizenship away for free. And if she feels the process has take longer than it should she should be able to do whatever she can in her power. My mom taught me that IF U DONT HAVE anything NICE to say, DON'T SAY nothing at all.

Yeah I agree. Some people here think ther ####### don't stink. If I'm paying $680 I'd expect decent service. And I think we should be allowed and should get answers to our questions from I.O. Without having to worry. This is not Nazi Germany...

D.O. LOS ANGELES

Sent: I-130, I-485, I-765 to Chicago Lockbox 3/30/07

RD: 04/02/07

ND: 04/09/07

Received Receipts: 04/12/07

Received FP NOA: 04/16/07

FP Appointment: 05/03/07

LUD 485 & 765: 05/04/07

Received INTERVIEW NOA: 05/14/07

Interview Date: 7/13/07 @ 10:35 AM (CANCELLED BY USCIS! 6/20/07)

LUD 765: 6/13/07 (Card Production Ordered)

LUD 485 & 130: 6/20/07

LUD 485 & 130: 6/21/07

Received EAD: 6/22/07

New Interview Date: 7/31/07 @ 10:40 AM APPROVED!

Timeline

To be honest Brother H is very direct. IO has a job to do. If they need to ask for additional information they can. Just paying $680 does not give US Citizentship. If they decline the application or does not provide answer in 120 days then the case will be transferred to a court where applicant will have a chance to present their case. I would say hold your horses and let the process work. You can always make an infopass appointment and find out additional information. I think OP did every thing by hiring an atty and contacting the congressman. Now there is no reason to throw rocks at IO when he/she doing the job. Give it time.

To be honest Brother H is very direct. IO has a job to do. If they need to ask for additional information they can. Just paying $680 does not give US Citizentship. If they decline the application or does not provide answer in 120 days then the case will be transferred to a court where applicant will have a chance to present their case. I would say hold your horses and let the process work. You can always make an infopass appointment and find out additional information. I think OP did every thing by hiring an atty and contacting the congressman. Now there is no reason to throw rocks at IO when he/she doing the job. Give it time.

One thing is to be direct and another sarcastic and offensive. Just answer what the person asked without ur stupid nonsense.. And it is not just $680 there is also taxes we pay as lpr that is part of the requirements to become a citizen, and other legal fees that some ppl have.. I think the ppl that comes legally to this country pay their fair share to be a citizen. We come to this site for support! And help.

Timeline

One thing is to be direct and another sarcastic and offensive. Just answer what the person asked without ur stupid nonsense.. And it is not just $680 there is also taxes we pay as lpr that is part of the requirements to become a citizen, and other legal fees that some ppl have.. I think the ppl that comes legally to this country pay their fair share to be a citizen. We come to this site for support! And help.

Quite honestly, I do not see any sarcastic or offensive here. What are you expeting on this forum? OP already hired an atty and contacted the congressman. IO is doing the job and there might be some issues IO want to address before making a recommendation. What else do you thing needs to be done. I still do not understand what is the issue here. Even as LPR paying the taxes does not entitle you for the citizenship if there is criminal history or if IO wants to verify some other affiliations or contacts. I do not think any one is being disrespectful at this time to any. If OP wants can make an infopass appointment and ask for additional information. We all went through the process and every one on this fourm has been extremly helpful and supportive.

While I was reading OP's story, I was thinking exactly like Brother Heisekel - though I wouldn't have said it myself. You need to be patient. Perhaps the no eye contact meant "get your face out of here and let me do my job". Just saying. Try to be patient... it is hard but you've done all you could - except being patient. So be patient.

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

ya, the lawyer involvement 'seems' nice,

but, IMO, that lawyer is not following up in a timely fashion.

Just my 2 cents.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Posted this several times, wife's friend that was six months ahead of us had all the required documentation, joint home ownership, too old to have kids, but for whatever reason was asked for a completely worthless joint utility bill. This cause her a 15 month delay in her citizenship process.

I just called a couple of utility companies, no proof, no marriage certificate, nothing, and asked them to add my wife's name to our bill. While we didn't submit those with our application, wife had those with her and was asked for them. Surprised, she was approved, but her application was misplaced afterwards.

Really don't like to bring up the issue of racial prejudice, but pretty well known and a problem around here with racial prejudice from African Americans and Asians against Hispanics. Wife's IO was African American, and stepdaughters' was Asian, both had problems with the English language. Only hint about my gals being Hispanic, is on the application, but are from European descent, and Hispanic is not a race, but a culture. And both had problems with their IO's.

Also good friends of Feingold, Kohl, and Obey, I didn't give a darn, gave them a call, they settled these problems instantly. Funny Obama is mentioned, was my wife's senator living in Illinois. Tried to help her with her dilemma, Obama was running for presidency at the time and he and his staff was no where around even for a contact. She had to wait, and wait she did, like 15 months.

Was a bit apprehension in attending my wife's and stepdaughters' oath ceremony, using political pressure, but they were super super nice. Asked my wife about racial prejudice in her home country, like here, very mixed. Said some, but not nearly as bad as it is here. Why is it this way in this giant melting pot? And is that the reason why you are having problems? Seems like having a couple of kids is positive proof of a valid marriage, and that is the issue you are facing. Got to be kidding with a joint utility bill. They don't give a good damn whose name is on the bill, if you don't pay it, will put a lean on the property. We own rental property with a tenant that didn't pay their utility bill, they went against us, we had to pay that! It was our names on that deed!

How many times have you called the USCIS to speak to a person that doesn't know anything about nothing? In my opinion, very screwed up agency loaded with incompetent personnel. Can't even read their own web site and no their own homemade rules congress doesn't even know anything about. And this is for a country I was expected to die for fighting for the freedom of other countries I have never even heard about. What about our own freedom? And like I said before, the USCIS is the only government agency we had to deal with, was dealing with one IO for your life or death situation and keeping your family together. Certified by several other governmental agencies and always dealt with a board, not just one egotistical prejudiced individual.

Worse part of this journey was always having to be nice, non-emotional, and only dealing with the facts. This country thought me how to kill with my bare hands, sure would have loved to resort to that training, but wouldn't dare.

So tell me about your IO.

Timeline

Thank you to everyone for responding. (Especially those who understood how I felt.)

My husband and I -- like many people posting here -- have been living in a state of high stress because his status has had a significant negative impact on our lives and his career, especially because of the industry he's in. The GC took nearly two years and our lives were on hold that entire time. Because of long-time status problems, he couldn't even go home for his parents' funerals and because he was raised in a Communist country, he feels pretty hopeless since his future is still controlled by a government.

I know that our situation is not nearly as bad as some so we're very lucky in that sense. But still, even though I want straight answers, a wise or mocking remark is certainly not what I need.

Nick D -- Yes, I could probably get the mailman put on our utility bill so the urgency of this for proof seemed strange. My husband and I are both Caucasian, although the interviewer was not, but I hadn't really felt there was racial discrimination involved. Also, had he really doubted the marriage, then wouldn't he have called us in for a fraud interview? Thank God he didn't because my husband doesn't even notice when I cut my hair let alone what color my toothbrush is.

Edited by GoBeau

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The lack of eye contact doesn't mean a thing. I had a perfectly normal interview and the interviewer acted like a robot for the whole time. I think that must be USCIS policy... or else they're staffed entirely by androids.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.