Cazwik

Ok... SSN Question

14 posts in this topic

Ok , so we are happily married , moved in our apartment , Family loves the wife and so on. We were a bit confused after that of what to do. Luckily alot of Pinoy worked at the local px and she quickly made friends. We thought we had to drop 1000$ for the adjustment right away and were sweating. Her friends told her all they had to do was go to SSN office and get a temporary SSN and work approval for now , no need to adjust right away if we didn't have the money , so we went there , and the guy told us that she entered on a K1 , and is now K3 status because she is married and we need to contact homeland Security to get work approval before she can get a SSN. So now we are completely confused because her friend who also entered in k status said we should of got a welcome letter telling her what to do next , and we never did.... So anyone out there give us a hand ?

Chad & Jovie

She can get SSN as long as I-94 is not expired but with restriction that say valid for work with DHS authorization or something like that.

AOS Journey

2-22-2012 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/ paperwork.

2-28-2012 - Return Receipt.

3-05-2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485, I-765 and biometrics appointment for 3-29-2012

3-07-2012 - Sent Notice to Reschedule Appointment at local ASC by certified mail

3-10-2012 - Return Receipt

3-20-2012 - received text/email the case is transferred

3-24-2012 - NOA I-797C notice received that the case is transferred at CSC

3-30-2012 - Received NOA I-797 New Biometrics Appointment for 4-24-2012

4-24-2012 - BIOMETRICS and same day my I-765 status is in production

4-30-2012 - received text/email notification EAD is on my way

5-03-2012 - received EAC

9-10-2012 - GC/DOCUMENT PRODUCTION

9-11-2012 - CSC mail out the Welcome Letter

9-12-2012 - CSC mail out the Green Card

9-14-2012 - Welcome Letter received

9-15-2012 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

8-15-2014 - Sent I-751

8-18-2014 - I-751 Delivered

8-18-2014 - NOA I-797

8-20-2014 - Check Cashed

9-11-2014 - Biometrics Appointment

11-18-2014- Received email and text notification that green card is in production

11-19-2014- CSC mail out GREEN CARD

bzto184.png

xkNdm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, you need to read the AOS guide and also the EAD guide in the Guides section - http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides. In order to work your wife will need to get Authorisation to work. If you file for this separately you will have to pay for it. Read the guides.

Ok , so we are happily married , moved in our apartment , Family loves the wife and so on. We were a bit confused after that of what to do. Luckily alot of Pinoy worked at the local px and she quickly made friends. We thought we had to drop 1000$ for the adjustment right away and were sweating. Her friends told her all they had to do was go to SSN office and get a temporary SSN and work approval for now , no need to adjust right away if we didn't have the money , so we went there , and the guy told us that she entered on a K1 , and is now K3 status because she is married and we need to contact homeland Security to get work approval before she can get a SSN. So now we are completely confused because her friend who also entered in k status said we should of got a welcome letter telling her what to do next , and we never did.... So anyone out there give us a hand ?

Chad & Jovie

http://mynewlifejourneyandfuture.blogspot.com/2011/08/k1-holder-applying-for-ssn.html

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

I took all the documents there , but they told me I needed permission from DHA to even get a SSN. We don't have 1000 extra dollars right now to pay for the Adjustment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

as this is not a regional specific question and it deals with ssn, i'll move it to the appropriate forum where the ssn experts can offer their advice.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I took all the documents there , but they told me I needed permission from DHA to even get a SSN. We don't have 1000 extra dollars right now to pay for the Adjustment.

What do you guys actually want - the SSN or work authorization?

She is eligible to get a SSN if her I-94 is not expired. They recommend waiting ~2 weeks after arrival before going to get the SSN, and also no later than 2 weeks before the I-94 expires.

If she needs work authorization, for practical purposes, she can only get work authorization by filing the AOS package and including the EAD application.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

She cannot work with her SSN. A K-1 is not authorized to work. She needs to file AOS. There is no deadline per se, but she cannot work or travel, and is accruing out-of-status days without it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Chad & Jovie

The guy at the local SSA office was a bonehead. A K-1 does not magically become a K-3 becuase you get married. In fact the K-1 is useless right after you get your passport stamped at the POE as it is a one entry visa with the purpose of marrying a USC. After arrival you can go to the local SSA office with your passport, I-94, K-1 visa to show immigrration status, and another ID and apply for a SSN. You have unitl day 74 on the I-94. Once within about two weeks of the I-94 expiring the SSA will not issue you a GC based on the K-1 and you will have to wait for the EAD or GC. Most suggest waiting two weeks after arrival to make certain you get into the SAVE database. I would recommend you go to the main SSA website and e-mail them about what happened at your local office. Give as much detail as possible (names would be great). They should give you an e-mail that you can take to the local SSA office to educate that bonehead. By the way the SSN is not temporary, it is your number for life.

Work authorization is a whole different animal. Work authorization for a K-1 visa holder comes from the DHS by filing for AOS and/or the EAD. There are two routes for the K-1 visa holder. Get married and apply for AOS and EAD/AP at the same time and recieve the EAD or GC. Once you have either you can now legally work. The other method is a waste of time and money, but it is an option. File for AOS before getting married using the K-1 visa. The GC will expire when the I-94 expires and you will also have to pay for and file the AOS when you finally get married. Processing times make this option a waste of time and money.

Hope this helps.

Dave

My husband entered on a k-1 visa we got married and when he went to ss office to apply for ssn they denied him even tought his i94'was not expired becausewe where already married and had to get a ssn 3 weeks b4 we got married so now he needs to wait for aos.

I called SSN main number and they told me that they have the right to deny anyone of a SSN , and she will have to get a Authorization in order to get a SSN. This boggles me why they would do that seeing she already has her military ID and such.... Why are they denying her a card -_-

So, let me get this straight: You are trying to get a SSN for your wife, who entered on a K-1 visa a few weeks ago and who you subsequently married. Okay, she is eligible for a SSN based on K-1 and time left on her I-94. If someone says she is now a K-3 they are wrong, and ask for a supervisor.

However, I remind you that she is not authorized to work with just the SSN number. The card will say "valid for work only with DHS authorization," which is something she does not have.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

So, let me get this straight: You are trying to get a SSN for your wife, who entered on a K-1 visa a few weeks ago and who you subsequently married. Okay, she is eligible for a SSN based on K-1 and time left on her I-94. If someone says she is now a K-3 they are wrong, and ask for a supervisor.

However, I remind you that she is not authorized to work with just the SSN number. The card will say "valid for work only with DHS authorization," which is something she does not have.

Yup I called the main branch and they said the same thing. This is a very fusterating process. They told me if they know the law , and if I have any doubts just to talk to a supervisor -_-.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.