vs2011

Why do COs think or suspect you are married?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have read a lot of K-1 visa interview reviews and have noticed that a lot of COs suspect or believe that the beneficiary (interviewee) is married. Why do they think this? If the person wanting to come to America is married, why would they file for a K-1 fiance visa and not a K-3 spouse visa in the first place?

The only thing I can think of where this legitimately applies to is to people who get married while they are waiting for the K-1 visa (which doesn't make sense either, why would you do that to jeopardize your K-1 Fiance Visa?)

Does anyone have any insight as to why COs are such harda**'s with K-1 fiance visa interviews thinking that you are married??

VisaJourney Time Line:

K1 Visa

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent: 2011-06-07

I-129F NOA1: 2011-06-10

I-129F NOA2: 2011-12-15

NVC Received: 2012-01-10

Packet 3 Recd: 2012-01-23

Packet 3 Sent: 2012-01-24

Packet 4 Sent: 2012-02-24

Medical Exam: 2012-02-24

Interview: 2012-03-12 - Approved!

US Entry: 2012-05-07 - POE Dallas, TX

Marriage: 2012-05-15

6 months, 5 days from NOA1 to NOA2; No RFE's.

Contacted local congressman to help expedite case at VSC for NOA2. (Definitely helped!)

Contact me if you need any info on a K-1 Visa for India, more than happy to help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many people think a K1 is quicker than Cr1 or they think it is easier ( less proof and I 134 vs I 864 incomes ) It is a very common belief in Nigeria.

Many people think a K1 is quicker than Cr1 or they think it is easier ( less proof and I 134 vs I 864 incomes ) It is a very common belief in Nigeria.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I have read a lot of K-1 visa interview reviews and have noticed that a lot of COs suspect or believe that the beneficiary (interviewee) is married. Why do they think this? If the person wanting to come to America is married, why would they file for a K-1 fiance visa and not a K-3 spouse visa in the first place?

I've read a number of things from unmarried people filing for K-1 that call each other husband and wife, the woman uses the man's last name on letters or emails, the two have had some kind of religious engagement ceremony that looked like a wedding and used photos from it in their petition, etc. On a personal note, my wife used my last name in letters and emails before we were married (because it made her happy) and we had purchased our wedding rings (and occasionally wore them - we were excited) before our wedding. We weren't married, but to some people it probably would have looked like we were. I have no doubt at all a CO would view these things as suspicious - especially if we provided the documentation to them that showed it and expected it to be a non-issue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

max+patricia

noticed your timeline, why did you end up canceling your K-1 interview and get married 4 months later? what happened? why not just do the interview and get married in the US with the K-1 visa?

VisaJourney Time Line:

K1 Visa

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent: 2011-06-07

I-129F NOA1: 2011-06-10

I-129F NOA2: 2011-12-15

NVC Received: 2012-01-10

Packet 3 Recd: 2012-01-23

Packet 3 Sent: 2012-01-24

Packet 4 Sent: 2012-02-24

Medical Exam: 2012-02-24

Interview: 2012-03-12 - Approved!

US Entry: 2012-05-07 - POE Dallas, TX

Marriage: 2012-05-15

6 months, 5 days from NOA1 to NOA2; No RFE's.

Contacted local congressman to help expedite case at VSC for NOA2. (Definitely helped!)

Contact me if you need any info on a K-1 Visa for India, more than happy to help.

max+patricia

noticed your timeline, why did you end up canceling your K-1 interview and get married 4 months later? what happened? why not just do the interview and get married in the US with the K-1 visa?

Long story short - we were foolish. My wife had about a year left to finish her degree in Venezuela and I was getting transferred out of state for work. It was a mess. To go through with the interview and get her K-1 would have required that she stay in the U.S. after our wedding for several months before she could go back and finish school. We decided to put things on hold for a while, let her finish her degree, let me get settled where I was living.

About 2 months after canceling the interview, I went to Venezuela to visit and she came back to the U.S. to visit. We realized we didn't care about the degree being finished or where I was living and working, so we got married. Here we are. Life is good.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

In India,

Some common reasons COs believe couples to be married include, having an elaborate engagement ceremony, referring to each other as husband and wife in emails, texts, or letters, going on vacation together prior to being married, or having a religious ceremony without registering it.

The COs are perceptive to these things and do not take them lightly because, as previous posters have said, the K-1 processes faster than a CR-1.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: Timeline

In India,

Some common reasons COs believe couples to be married include, having an elaborate engagement ceremony, referring to each other as husband and wife in emails, texts, or letters, going on vacation together prior to being married, or having a religious ceremony without registering it.

The COs are perceptive to these things and do not take them lightly because, as previous posters have said, the K-1 processes faster than a CR-1.

Another possibility might be this: the VO asks the applicant..."when and where are you planning to marry?" and the astonished look on the applicant's face, combined with immediate confusion, possibly looking towards his/her Amcit fiance with the .."what...? why do we have to re marry?" can be revealing.

In general, the K1 can be processed faster for a variety of reasons, so many people have tried to circumvent the normal procedures...but body language tells can be revealing.

Again, like so many other aspects of immigration issues, the actions of the previous mala fide applicants make it tougher to sort out the bona fide ones...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The only thing I can think of where this legitimately applies to is to people who get married while they are waiting for the K-1 visa (which doesn't make sense either, why would you do that to jeopardize your K-1 Fiance Visa?)

Does anyone have any insight as to why COs are such harda**'s with K-1 fiance visa interviews thinking that you are married??

Because some people are silly and get married anyway......or

Because in your country, I believe, it is customary to have some sort of ceremony and that of itself may look like a marriage ceremony.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Many people prefer the K1 over the CR1 because it's usually a bit faster, the up-front costs are lower (i.e., the fees before the visa is issued), and the sort of evidence needed to prove the bonafides of the relationship are different (e.g., having physically spent a few weeks together might be more believable for an engaged couple than a married couple). When you do a side-by-side comparison, the K1 has some advantages over the CR1 that are very appealing to some people.

Many people want to marry before coming to the US because they want their families involved in the wedding, and bringing their families to the US for a wedding is never going to happen.

Some people will try to game the system so that they can have their cake and eat it too. How much suspicion the CO will have depends in part on how often this happens in that particular country. My understanding is that this is or was a significant problem in India, so the CO's there look closely for it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.