Scafidi454

Happy Russian Fighter's Day!

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i thought this was gonna be about migs. :crying:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I'll probably hear about this from the wife when I get home tonight. After all, I did serve, just not for the Soviet Union.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'll probably hear about this from the wife when I get home tonight. After all, I did serve, just not for the Soviet Union.

I didn't even serve, much less for Russia, yet I still got a lovely poem. It's becoming less about the army and more about men. Especially since International Women's day is March 8th. (its good that they have this holiday to remind the guys).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I didn't even serve, much less for Russia, yet I still got a lovely poem. It's becoming less about the army and more about men. Especially since International Women's day is March 8th. (its good that they have this holiday to remind the guys).

Yes! Last year I had a bouquet of flowers delivered to her apartment. The delivery was scheduled to arrive while she was at work. So, I had to coordinate with one of her sisters to sign for it and not tell her beforehand.

I think this year is going to be a little slim since we're so close to the visa issuance. I did just send a package there containing the documents she'll need for her interview. While that doesn't sound so special, I did also put a bottle of Lacoste "The Joy of Pink" perfume (her favorite perfume that I bought for V-Day) in there. So, it will serve like a small gift for March 8.

Filed: Timeline

Ok...what do "men married to Russian women" have anything to do with Defender of the Fatherland Day? Did they serve in the Soviet Army or in the army of Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, or Ukraine? You 1HappyGuy should not be celebrating as it is an insult to those who have...this is what I mean 1HappyGuy during Soviet times there was a day to honor those who have served to defend the Soviet Union and it was called "День Красной Армии" or Red Army Day. Later in 1949 it was renamed to "День Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота" or Soviet Army and Navy Day. Today it is Defender of the Fatherland Day and is celebrated in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine. Hypothetical question - "If Russia was attacked would you swear an oath to defend said country and go and fight against its enemies?"...I think I know the answer to that question. However 1HappyGuy America does have its own day called Armed Forces Day and it is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. Now ToeNailClipper Defender of the Fatherland Day is about the army because I mean come on it used to be called Soviet Army day. It is still heavily about the army and the reason for that is because during Soviet times (and in Russia today) MEN are liable to compulsory military service from the age of 18 until 27 and about 90% of MEN in the Soviet Union had served in the army. This holiday was created because almost all men served in the Soviet Army and they all had that in common. I know for a fact that in the Soviet Union men who DID NOT serve still got celebratory salutations, congratulation, and gifts relating to this holiday. To be honest I think it’s ludicrous for American men to be celebrating a foreign army’s Armed Forces Day not to mention at one point in time the USSR was an enemy, and today US’s relationship with Russia is rocky at best. What Americans and Russians can and should be celebrating together is VE Day or in Russian “День Победы” (Victory Day) celebrated on May 8th / 9th because American soldiers and Russian soldiers both took part in WWII or in Russian “Великая Отечественная Война” (Great Patriotic War). In Russia it’s an important holiday were people celebrate it with fireworks and the whole shebang…so how come the US doesn’t celebrate it? It’s probably because of the Cold War when America tried to play down the fact that it was the Soviet Union’s war and their enormous importance in the victory over Nazi Germany or maybe because the subject is too sensitive to the 50 million (17% of US population) German-Americans to discuss.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok...what do "men married to Russian women" have anything to do with Defender of the Fatherland Day? Did they serve in the Soviet Army or in the army of Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, or Ukraine? You 1HappyGuy should not be celebrating as it is an insult to those who have...this is what I mean 1HappyGuy during Soviet times there was a day to honor those who have served to defend the Soviet Union and it was called "День Красной Армии" or Red Army Day. Later in 1949 it was renamed to "День Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота" or Soviet Army and Navy Day. Today it is Defender of the Fatherland Day and is celebrated in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine. Hypothetical question - "If Russia was attacked would you swear an oath to defend said country and go and fight against its enemies?"...I think I know the answer to that question. However 1HappyGuy America does have its own day called Armed Forces Day and it is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. Now ToeNailClipper Defender of the Fatherland Day is about the army because I mean come on it used to be called Soviet Army day. It is still heavily about the army and the reason for that is because during Soviet times (and in Russia today) MEN are liable to compulsory military service from the age of 18 until 27 and about 90% of MEN in the Soviet Union had served in the army. This holiday was created because almost all men served in the Soviet Army and they all had that in common. I know for a fact that in the Soviet Union men who DID NOT serve still got celebratory salutations, congratulation, and gifts relating to this holiday. To be honest I think it’s ludicrous for American men to be celebrating a foreign army’s Armed Forces Day not to mention at one point in time the USSR was an enemy, and today US’s relationship with Russia is rocky at best. What Americans and Russians can and should be celebrating together is VE Day or in Russian “День Победы” (Victory Day) celebrated on May 8th / 9th because American soldiers and Russian soldiers both took part in WWII or in Russian “Великая Отечественная Война” (Great Patriotic War). In Russia it’s an important holiday were people celebrate it with fireworks and the whole shebang…so how come the US doesn’t celebrate it? It’s probably because of the Cold War when America tried to play down the fact that it was the Soviet Union’s war and their enormous importance in the victory over Nazi Germany or maybe because the subject is too sensitive to the 50 million (17% of US population) German-Americans to discuss.

Lighten up mantra! Since they had no 'men's day' to reciprocate with 'women's day', this holiday had long ago come to fill that purpose! It is in that spirit that it makes perfect sense for my Russian wife to make a fuss over me and my sons on that day! You sound like those scroogish clergy who try to convince their congregations to not celebrate Christmas because they have figured out that December 25 could almost certainly not have been Jesus' actual birthday!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with mantra.

I never even congratulate Russian/Ukrainian guys unless they served in the army. It's not men's day, it's more about military people. My aunt from Ukraine used to be in the military - it makes more sense if she receives presents on Feb. 23, than a person, who was never in the military, but just happened to be a man.

My husband knows this holiday as "Russian Army Day".

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Thank you. You voiced precisely what I was thinking. The Soviet Union military almost blew up the world in 1962. Sneaking large numbers of men and missiles into Cuba because they didn't have enough long-range arsenal or capability. They crushed many freedom movements throughout the decades and have killed more people than Hitler.

Their mandatory "draft" of 18 year-old boys is a lesson in extreme sadism and brutality. Many of today's Russian and Ukraine Mafias and corrupt "bosses" came from the high level military, Russia Special Forces, and the KGB (i.e, Putin).

Celebrating Russian Fighters Day is the same as to celebrating Nazi Germany. For American men to salute anything related to the SU military is disgraceful in my judgment.

F*uk the Russian Fighters Day.

Timeline

Lighten up mantra! Since they had no 'men's day' to reciprocate with 'women's day', this holiday had long ago come to fill that purpose! It is in that spirit that it makes perfect sense for my Russian wife to make a fuss over me and my sons on that day! You sound like those scroogish clergy who try to convince their congregations to not celebrate Christmas because they have figured out that December 25 could almost certainly not have been Jesus' actual birthday!

This is fantasy Americanization of Russian reality flowing from an over exuberance by American men to kiss up to their Russian wives. Your argument fails with facts. A celebration of the Soviet Union's military is not about men in general...no more than our Veterans Day is about "men" as veterans are both males and females in the US and Russia. In fact, in the SU women WERE truly fighters as with the snipers of Stalingrad.

As Slim has pointed out many times on the forum, the best way to help your wife adapt to being an American, as Gary's wife is officially now, is to knock off the bull about all things Russian being good, quaint or cute. I lived through the brunt of the Cold War and I am very clear many things relating to both old and new Russian are ugly. If you want to roll around in a Soviet Union flag, be my guest but don't kid yourself too much or loose sight of history.

As a related item, there is controversy over the true meaning of International Woman's Day as well. It's been covered over as a nice little tipping of the hat to women, but it has a dark history too. This is yet another opportunity for the "good American husband" to put on blindfolds to history in order to kiss up to their wives.

If you want to celebrate women, you've got lots of American holidays to more than satisfy any need to express love and respect. And vice versus for Russian wives to do the same thing based on American holidays that are pretty much the same thing they have always been.

I close with an old American adage that I aim at Russian Fighters day..."You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Edited by visaveteran1

Timeline

Alright - To all of the Russian men or men married to Russian women, Happy Russian Righter's Day!

23febr.jpg

Yes, I see you're a newbie. And naive and misinformed. Maybe you don't remember the Russian Missile Crisis. Vietnam. The Cold War.

I advise sticking to American holidays that carry no hidden shadows. Your intentions may be good but rethink this day as something to celebrate.

Ok...what do "men married to Russian women" have anything to do with Defender of the Fatherland Day? Did they serve in the Soviet Army or in the army of Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, or Ukraine? You 1HappyGuy should not be celebrating as it is an insult to those who have Did I say that I was celebrating it? ...this is what I mean 1HappyGuy during Soviet times there was a day to honor those who have served to defend the Soviet Union and it was called "День Красной Армии" or Red Army Day. Later in 1949 it was renamed to "День Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота" or Soviet Army and Navy Day. Today it is Defender of the Fatherland Day and is celebrated in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine. Hypothetical question - "If Russia was attacked would you swear an oath to defend said country and go and fight against its enemies?"...I think I know the answer to that question. However 1HappyGuy America does have its own day called Armed Forces Day and it is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. We also have Veterans Day in November. Now ToeNailClipper Defender of the Fatherland Day is about the army because I mean come on it used to be called Soviet Army day. It is still heavily about the army and the reason for that is because during Soviet times (and in Russia today) MEN are liable to compulsory military service from the age of 18 until 27 and about 90% of MEN in the Soviet Union had served in the army. This holiday was created because almost all men served in the Soviet Army and they all had that in common. I know for a fact that in the Soviet Union men who DID NOT serve still got celebratory salutations, congratulation, and gifts relating to this holiday. To be honest I think it’s ludicrous for American men to be celebrating a foreign army’s Armed Forces Day not to mention at one point in time the USSR was an enemy, and today US’s relationship with Russia is rocky at best. What Americans and Russians can and should be celebrating together is VE Day or in Russian “День Победы” (Victory Day) celebrated on May 8th / 9th because American soldiers and Russian soldiers both took part in WWII or in Russian “Великая Отечественная Война” (Great Patriotic War). In Russia it’s an important holiday were people celebrate it with fireworks and the whole shebang…so how come the US doesn’t celebrate it? It’s probably because of the Cold War when America tried to play down the fact that it was the Soviet Union’s war and their enormous importance in the victory over Nazi Germany or maybe because the subject is too sensitive to the 50 million (17% of US population) German-Americans to discuss.

Wow, someone really got a burr under their saddle. Lighten up. Just because my wife and I suspect other wives choose to celebrate this day honoring their husband does not take away from the many veterans of the Soviet Union. Or would you rather that all the people that come to America completely forget that holiday? :wacko:

Timeline

Wow, someone really got a burr under their saddle. Lighten up. Just because my wife and I suspect other wives choose to celebrate this day honoring their husband does not take away from the many veterans of the Soviet Union. Or would you rather that all the people that come to America completely forget that holiday? :wacko:

in the 4 years I was married my wife never celebrated RFD or did anything for me based on the holiday. I say "thank you my wife" I'm American and she got that...so was she.

If newlyweds want to play this silly Russo-centric game, have fun. It's only delaying their adaptation and acceptance of THEIR decision to immigrate to America.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.