Scafidi454

Happy Russian Fighter's Day!

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

While I don't quite like the idea of celebrating RFD by people, who are not Russian fighters, I think that if a family is multicultural, traditions of both cultures should be respected. It doesn't delay the adaptation, a lot of times it helps people through culture shock (something that any immigrant experiences) - it's good to have something that is familiar and talk to somebody in your native language once in a while.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

While I don't quite like the idea of celebrating RFD by people, who are not Russian fighters, I think that if a family is multicultural, traditions of both cultures should be respected. It doesn't delay the adaptation, a lot of times it helps people through culture shock (something that any immigrant experiences) - it's good to have something that is familiar and talk to somebody in your native language once in a while.

That's a school of thought.There are others. One would be called total emersion...which is now a popular way to learn language quickly.

Beginning to teach and acculturate someone while minimizing the old cultural ways is a good distraction from homesickness and fear of something new and different...and IMO excellerates adaptation. This is kind of like starting public school...you've got to let go of mom's hand and deal with the new teacher. I would support honoring Russian Christmas and New Years Day, etc. Honoring anything to do the Soviet evil empire is a different story.

Timeline

That's a school of thought.There are others. One would be called total emersion...which is now a popular way to learn language quickly.

Beginning to teach and acculturate someone while minimizing the old cultural ways is a good distraction from homesickness and fear of something new and different...and IMO excellerates adaptation. This is kind of like starting public school...you've got to let go of mom's hand and deal with the new teacher. I would support honoring Russian Christmas and New Years Day, etc. Honoring anything to do the Soviet evil empire is a different story.

Speaking as a linguist, I should say again that keeping some ties with your own culture helps a new immigrant to live through the stress of culture shock and that, once you're older than 12 (+/-2 years), total immersion is only helpful if accompanied by language classes, where you will learn language structure, grammar, phonetics and learn the difference between your native language and the language you're trying to study.

Timeline

Wow, someone really got a burr under their saddle. Lighten up. Just because my wife and I suspect other wives choose to celebrate this day honoring their husband does not take away from the many veterans of the Soviet Union. Or would you rather that all the people that come to America completely forget that holiday? :wacko:

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Fatherland_Day

Officially, as the name suggests, the holiday celebrates people who are serving or were serving the Russian Armed Forces (both men and women), but unofficially, nationally it has also more recently come to include the celebration of men as a whole, and to act as a counterpart of International Women's Day on March 8.

The holiday is celebrated with parades and processions in honor of veterans, and women also give small gifts to the Russian men in their lives, especially husbands (or boyfriends), fathers and sons. As a part of the workplace culture, women often give gifts to their male co-workers. Consequently, in colloquial usage, the holiday is often referred to as Men's Day (Russian: День Мужчин, Den' Muzhchin).

And from the russian version: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%8C_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%89%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%9E%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0

Сегодня 23 февраля в России является неформальным народным праздником мужчин, который празднуется как коллегами в своих коллективах, так и в семьях, и носит массовый характер. В этот день поздравляют также и женщин — ветеранов Великой Отечественной войны, женщин — военнослужащих.

So, yes, traditionally and officially it has been the 'Russian Army Men Day' but it's grown to become more than that to a celebration of all men. Just as Christmas became about buying presents and celebrating family more than celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Edited by ToeNailClipper

Timeline

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Fatherland_Day

Officially, as the name suggests, the holiday celebrates people who are serving or were serving the Russian Armed Forces (both men and women), but unofficially, nationally it has also more recently come to include the celebration of men as a whole, and to act as a counterpart of International Women's Day on March 8.

The holiday is celebrated with parades and processions in honor of veterans, and women also give small gifts to the Russian men in their lives, especially husbands (or boyfriends), fathers and sons. As a part of the workplace culture, women often give gifts to their male co-workers. Consequently, in colloquial usage, the holiday is often referred to as Men's Day (Russian: День Мужчин, Den' Muzhchin).

And from the russian version: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%8C_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%89%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%9E%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B0

Сегодня 23 февраля в России является неформальным народным праздником мужчин, который празднуется как коллегами в своих коллективах, так и в семьях, и носит массовый характер. В этот день поздравляют также и женщин — ветеранов Великой Отечественной войны, женщин — военнослужащих.

So, yes, traditionally and officially it has been the 'Russian Army Men Day' but it's grown to become more than that to a celebration of all men. Just as Christmas became about buying presents and celebrating family more than celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Guess it just depends on which way the wind lows for Russians or Ukrainians:

Demotix News

Ukrainians celebrate Defender of the Fatherland Day

Veterans of the Army celebrate the Defender of the Fatherland Day. The holiday marks the date in 1918 during the Russian Civil War when the first mass draft into the Red Army occurred in Petrograd and Moscow.

Edited by visaveteran1

Timeline

I understand "unofficially" just any old Russian male dude get's chocolate from his girlfriend on DOFD. OK, good for them.

Officially it's about the Red Army, and it has absolutely nothing to do with America.

Timeline

I understand "unofficially" just any old Russian male dude get's chocolate from his girlfriend on DOFD. OK, good for them.

Officially it's about the Red Army, and it has absolutely nothing to do with America.

True, however, as an honorary russian male, I am glad that my wife celebrates it.

Timeline

True, however, as an honorary russian male, I am glad that my wife celebrates it.

Your call...

I'm glad you don't have wounds from the Cold War. I do...literally. So we address Russian history and reality differently.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok...what do "men married to Russian women" have anything to do with Defender of the Fatherland Day? Did they serve in the Soviet Army or in the army of Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, or Ukraine? You 1HappyGuy should not be celebrating as it is an insult to those who have...this is what I mean 1HappyGuy during Soviet times there was a day to honor those who have served to defend the Soviet Union and it was called "День Красной Армии" or Red Army Day. Later in 1949 it was renamed to "День Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота" or Soviet Army and Navy Day. Today it is Defender of the Fatherland Day and is celebrated in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Ukraine. Hypothetical question - "If Russia was attacked would you swear an oath to defend said country and go and fight against its enemies?"...I think I know the answer to that question. However 1HappyGuy America does have its own day called Armed Forces Day and it is celebrated on the third Saturday in May. Now ToeNailClipper Defender of the Fatherland Day is about the army because I mean come on it used to be called Soviet Army day. It is still heavily about the army and the reason for that is because during Soviet times (and in Russia today) MEN are liable to compulsory military service from the age of 18 until 27 and about 90% of MEN in the Soviet Union had served in the army. This holiday was created because almost all men served in the Soviet Army and they all had that in common. I know for a fact that in the Soviet Union men who DID NOT serve still got celebratory salutations, congratulation, and gifts relating to this holiday. To be honest I think it’s ludicrous for American men to be celebrating a foreign army’s Armed Forces Day not to mention at one point in time the USSR was an enemy, and today US’s relationship with Russia is rocky at best. What Americans and Russians can and should be celebrating together is VE Day or in Russian “День Победы” (Victory Day) celebrated on May 8th / 9th because American soldiers and Russian soldiers both took part in WWII or in Russian “Великая Отечественная Война” (Great Patriotic War). In Russia it’s an important holiday were people celebrate it with fireworks and the whole shebang…so how come the US doesn’t celebrate it? It’s probably because of the Cold War when America tried to play down the fact that it was the Soviet Union’s war and their enormous importance in the victory over Nazi Germany or maybe because the subject is too sensitive to the 50 million (17% of US population) German-Americans to discuss.

It is "Motherland" not "fatherland"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I agree with mantra.

I never even congratulate Russian/Ukrainian guys unless they served in the army. It's not men's day, it's more about military people. My aunt from Ukraine used to be in the military - it makes more sense if she receives presents on Feb. 23, than a person, who was never in the military, but just happened to be a man.

My husband knows this holiday as "Russian Army Day".

Alla bought her first gun yesterday! FOR ME! She calls it "men's day" and bought me an appropriate Russian made Over/Under shotgun I had admired the other day in the gun shop. 20 ga. really nice Sporting Clays gun, ported barrels, knurled tubes, nickle plated receiver, made by Baikal Remarkably good quality for the price.

And NOW you tell me I shouldn't celebrate? No way, I am keeping the gun! Now I got her buying me guns for gifts, I'M CELEBRATING!

Thanks to ALL who serve their country!

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I'M KEEPING THE GUN!

EDIT, OMG! I just thought of something. Women'sday is in two weeks!

I've been HAD! Dammit!

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla bought her first gun yesterday! FOR ME! She calls it "men's day" and bought me an appropriate Russian made Over/Under shotgun I had admired the other day in the gun shop. 20 ga. really nice Sporting Clays gun, ported barrels, knurled tubes, nickle plated receiver, made by Baikal Remarkably good quality for the price.

And NOW you tell me I shouldn't celebrate? No way, I am keeping the gun! Now I got her buying me guns for gifts, I'M CELEBRATING!

Thanks to ALL who serve their country!

My 1st paycheck (or several paychecks, depending on how much I make) - I'm buying my husband a new bow (shhhhh... :)).

It doesn't have to be a "men's day" or an "army day" or whatever.

Timeline

My 1st paycheck (or several paychecks, depending on how much I make) - I'm buying my husband a new bow (shhhhh... :)).

It doesn't have to be a "men's day" or an "army day" or whatever.

:dance:

Bow 'n Arrow day!

the Victory is having a wife that likes to shoot, likes gun shops, sees you looking over a gun (OK I did say "hey, look Alla, made in Russia") and I did comment that it was an incredible price for a gun that nice. But then she went back and bought it herself! We were actually in that shop to check out the S&W M41 she wants to buy and the shotgun caught my eye. You just never when or where you will fall in love. :P

Alla has her eyes on a sweet CZ 28 ga. O/U, like I said...women's day is coming.

Your husband will love the gift ONA.One thing about gun and (probably) archery people is that they always keep the guns that were handed down or gifted. We swap and trade and buy and sell everything else, but not a gift gun!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Look - My fiancee and I celebrate both American and Russian holidays. Russia has more holidays than us I believe, but it's up to us to celebrate the one's that we want. From my experience, this Defender's of the Motherland Day is the equivalent of our father's day. I also celebrate, to some extent, Russian Christmas and Women's Day.

I wouldn't expect her to celebrate some of the American holidays and not also be open to celebrating Russian holidays. We just celebrated Valentine's day (even though it's not popular in Russia), and we celebrate our anniversary (which is also not so popular in Russia (from what I'm told)). We celebrate American Christmas, the 4th of July, etc.

Edited by Scafidi454

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

EDIT, OMG! I just thought of something. Women'sday is in two weeks!

I've been HAD! Dammit!

welcome to marriage :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.