dutchess626

Got married in the Philippines but on a K1 Visa application

21 posts in this topic

QUESTION: I am new here and would like to ask anyone who knew....WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU GOT MARRIED IN THE PHILIPPINES AFTER YOUR K1 VISA WAS APPROVED BUT PRIOR TO FLYING IN THE USA? IS THAT POSSIBLE? PLEASE REPLY ... THANKS!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

QUESTION: I am new here and would like to ask anyone who knew....WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU GOT MARRIED IN THE PHILIPPINES AFTER YOUR K1 VISA WAS APPROVED BUT PRIOR TO FLYING IN THE USA? IS THAT POSSIBLE? PLEASE REPLY ... THANKS!

No.. it isn't possible because you applied K1 to come to USA and marry that is the requirement for a k1 visa... so if you got married in the philipines after k1 approval you won't be able to enter on the k1 visa it is for fiance's only. Married couples need a CR1 visa to come into the USA.

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Exactly, but how come some people I know of, got married in my country prior to flying in the USA....does USCIS will ever know that? Just not sure if they registered it or not at all in my country...I am just wondering why they do that? Since they know that K1 visa is faster than that of Spouse Visa, I guess but thinking ahead, it is not fair to others who waited so long and didnt get married in their own country and followed strictly the procedures and these people are somewhat like playing with the USCIS rules. They have pictures of the EXTRAVAGANT WEDDINGS in the Philippines before flying to USA but that was after they got the VISA approved of ..... hhhhmmmm .... if that is the case, then anyone can do that too, right? but that is not the procedure .... we just feel that it is so UNFAIR for others who also want to have a wedding back in our country and yet, these people got their approval from the US Embassy in MANILA .... :(

Also, what will happen to them if they caught doing that?

Yes, USCIS will find out and give you a BAN for life for lying. There is a story of a Japanese couple who did that, and now the wife is banned forever from the US. You cannot enter the US on a K-1 if you got married.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Harpa is correct. You better play by the rules because the penality is severe. You could have had an engagement party in the Philippines and then get married in the U.S. You have to re-apply as a married couple.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Your Timeline Page makes no Sense to me. So that adds to my confusion.

With that: Are you Married? Have you even started any type of Petition?

What do you want to do? K-1 or Spousal?

I might have missed something here.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

When you enter the country they might ask questions such as when do you plan to marry, are you still single, have you married yet, etc. A false answer to any of these questions is material misrepresentation which could carry a lifetime ban.

When you file for AOS you will have to include a copy of your marriage certificate. If you already married in the Philippines your marriage in the US will not be valid (and you will have to lie to get the marriage license since you are no longer single). Filing a false marriage certificate with the AOS is material misrepresentation.

Could you get away with it? Maybe, but is the immigrant living the rest of their life knowing that if Immigration ever finds out about the initial marriage in the Philippines and losing their LPR status or even citizenship (if they make it that far), being deported, and having a lifetime ban from the US really worth having a wedding in the Philippines first? Come here, get married, then return to the Philippines after you receive Advance Parole and have the wedding of a lifetime there.

Timeline

Exactly, but how come some people I know of, got married in my country prior to flying in the USA....does USCIS will ever know that? Just not sure if they registered it or not at all in my country...I am just wondering why they do that? Since they know that K1 visa is faster than that of Spouse Visa, I guess but thinking ahead, it is not fair to others who waited so long and didnt get married in their own country and followed strictly the procedures and these people are somewhat like playing with the USCIS rules. They have pictures of the EXTRAVAGANT WEDDINGS in the Philippines before flying to USA but that was after they got the VISA approved of ..... hhhhmmmm .... if that is the case, then anyone can do that too, right? but that is not the procedure .... we just feel that it is so UNFAIR for others who also want to have a wedding back in our country and yet, these people got their approval from the US Embassy in MANILA .... :(

Also, what will happen to them if they caught doing that?

Statements such as this will Ban yourself and never get you where you wanted to be whether Petitioner/Beneficiary.

You say: Unfair. Maybe so. But, what you are Asking is also Unfair to the Members/Applicants that go by the Rules.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm curious why you would even care what others are doing if you're here in the U.S. already? You sound rather bitter and envious that others might have been unethical in their approach in the petition/visa process. Let USCIS deal with those folks that take unnecessary chances and violate immigration law. People like that usually screw up along the way because they feel embolden then get caught.

You can have peace of mind in the fact you did it properly, they have to look over their shoulders and wonder if the next step will reveal their deeds. They will always be trying to cover any previous violations of immigration law, you do not have the same worries.

Be concerned not about them, they are never safe once they've lied on any immigration form or to and immigration official.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

EXCUSE ME! But your reply to my thread is the one that is nonsense to me OK. I am asking this question not because it is my STATUS! I know people who did that in my country - what is UNFAIR? That they were got approval of K1 visa even if they got married in the Philippines. AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, my STATUS in US is already a permanent resident awaiting for our approval of conditional status OK..... this question doesnt refer to me. What is being unfair about asking that here.....? What is your problem? Maybe you were one of those who did that, LOL

This person got MARRIED in the PHILIPPINES after they got their K1 VISA approved.....don't you understand that or you also did the same thing huh? Can you read my question as a whole... you're the one who is nonsense, LOL

Timeline

EXCUSE ME! But your reply to my thread is the one that is nonsense to me OK. I am asking this question not because it is my STATUS! I know people who did that in my country - what is UNFAIR? That they were got approval of K1 visa even if they got married in the Philippines. AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, my STATUS in US is already a permanent resident awaiting for our approval of conditional status OK..... this question doesnt refer to me. What is being unfair about asking that here.....? What is your problem? Maybe you were one of those who did that, LOL

This person got MARRIED in the PHILIPPINES after they got their K1 VISA approved.....don't you understand that or you also did the same thing huh? Can you read my question as a whole... you're the one who is nonsense, LOL

Well, Excuse Me. If you can't do a Timeline Correct I assume you make mistakes like I do.

The K-1 is for her/him to enter the US and get Married in The United States. A K-1 Is Null and Void trying to Marry in the Phil's. If you do. Tear it up. Its no good.

You seem to have an attitude. That will hurt you BAD. So Listen to these people.

Leatherneck THANK YOU SO MUCH for your post, appreciate that! Yeah, I know it's not my problem, just concern about a friend. THANKS anyway

Oh, for a friend. Then you know nothing really just looking out for a friend. Nothing wrong with that.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

Well, Excuse Me. If you can't do a Timeline Correct I assume you make mistakes like I do.

The K-1 is for her/him to enter the US and get Married in The United States. A K-1 Is Null and Void trying to Marry in the Phil's. If you do. Tear it up. Its no good.

You seem to have an attitude. That will hurt you BAD. So Listen to these people.

Oh, for a friend. Then you know nothing really just looking out for a friend. Nothing wrong with that.

Thats why Your Timeline was so STUPID. It was all a Lie. Looking -Out for a Friend. I hope your friend dose'nt LIE like you do to USCIS.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Leatherneck THANK YOU SO MUCH for your post, appreciate that! Yeah, I know it's not my problem, just concern about a friend. THANKS anyway

Welcome!

It is your friend that needs to be very concerned. Then the question she will have to ask and answer, was it really worth doing things the wrong way once caught?

The killer part about people like your friend, they paid the same fees and it was the same process for them as those that did it right. Not sure why one would pay the same fees to do things wrong, where is the perceived advantage?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.