JBHS

Problems at Tunisian airports

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Has anyone ever experienced problems with any Tunisian airports? I'm so frustrated right now. My fiance was booked on a flight on Tunisair from Monastir to Paris (Orly airport) and then was scheduled to take shuttle from Orly airport to Charles De Gaulle to catch flight here to the US. He was denied boarding because he only holds a US visa and does not hold a French visa. They told him that he would not be allowed to leave the airport and that he would have to find flight directly into Charles De Gaulle.

We then changed his flight so it would go directly into Paris using AirFrance...going from Tunis to Paris, Charles de Gaulle. He went all the way to Tunis airport and was AGAIN denied boarding. They told him that he could not wait the 4.5 hours in the airport to catch his connecting flight to the US (which by the way was booked on a different airline). We even called Customs and the Police at Charles de Gaulle airport to confirm he had proper documentation to wait it out in the airport. The ticket agents would listen to anything Paris officials had to say.

So now...as it stands...fiance is still in Tunisia trying to figure a way to get to the US and we are out a lot of money (since we purchased non-refundable tickets).

Can anyone advise if they have any problems like this and how you went about resolving them.

Also...for all you memeber with Tunisian fiance's...can you advise which airlines you took to get to the US.

Thanks so much in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K1 to MENA forum for country specific answers ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Has anyone ever experienced problems with any Tunisian airports? I'm so frustrated right now. My fiance was booked on a flight on Tunisair from Monastir to Paris (Orly airport) and then was scheduled to take shuttle from Orly airport to Charles De Gaulle to catch flight here to the US. He was denied boarding because he only holds a US visa and does not hold a French visa. They told him that he would not be allowed to leave the airport and that he would have to find flight directly into Charles De Gaulle.

We then changed his flight so it would go directly into Paris using AirFrance...going from Tunis to Paris, Charles de Gaulle. He went all the way to Tunis airport and was AGAIN denied boarding. They told him that he could not wait the 4.5 hours in the airport to catch his connecting flight to the US (which by the way was booked on a different airline). We even called Customs and the Police at Charles de Gaulle airport to confirm he had proper documentation to wait it out in the airport. The ticket agents would listen to anything Paris officials had to say.

So now...as it stands...fiance is still in Tunisia trying to figure a way to get to the US and we are out a lot of money (since we purchased non-refundable tickets).

Can anyone advise if they have any problems like this and how you went about resolving them.

Also...for all you memeber with Tunisian fiance's...can you advise which airlines you took to get to the US.

yes, certain country airport need transit visa. Some airport may not require transit visa for certain hours, and some would need it anyway.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

To me it seems that they had grounds to deny boarding - transfer from ORL to CDG certainly requires entering a Schengen area and so does transfer between terminals at CDG (most of the time). Would make sense to apply for a Schengen visa or look for a flight with a stop in a coutry that does not require visa from Tunisian citizens.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Book a flight with Emirates through Dubai or with Turkish Airlines through Istanbul, I'm pretty sure your fiance doesn't need a visa to transit there.

05/2007 - got married in Germany

05/2007 - filed I-130 via DCF in Frankfurt

08/2007 - interview to prove bona fide marriage

09/2007 - hubby PCSed to GA

10/2007 - hubby deployed to Iraq

04/2008 - hubby on RnR in Germany

08/2008 - received CR-1 visa

12/2008 - flew to GA alone to welcome home the hubs

09/2009 - PCSed to CA

03/2010 - we're pregnant!

06/2010 - applied for German "BBG" to retain German citizenship during naturalization

08/2010 - BBG granted

09/2010 - filed ROC

12/2010 - received 10 year GC

12/2010 - our little miracle is born!!!

01/2011 - PCSed to Germany

01/2012 - filed N-400 for overseas naturalization

03-15-2012 - Best of Both Worlds, I'm a dual citizen :-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

We use Delta/ Air France thru CDG with a two hour lay over routinely and never have a problem. But yes, Tunsians do require a visa to go outside the French airports for any reason.

Filed: Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I am so glad you posted this...it is one of those little details that get overlooked. My husbands mom will go to ticket agency tomorrow to ask about transit visa for both France and Italy and Saif will call the embassy. I will post all info they give to me. That sucks that when you buy these tickets, the place that sold them to you didn't mention or inform you about the transit visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I've done quite a bit of research on this recently. When my husband flew from Algeria to the US, he had one stop at CDG-Paris. According to the french consulate website no transit visa or Schengen visa is necessary with one single stop in Europe for those with a valid visa to/from the US -or- those holding a valid US permanant resident card. However, if you have two stops in Europe those flights (Paris-Frankfurt for example) are considered domestic flights thus requiring the Schengen visa regardless of visa or resident status.

It should be noted that my husband switched airlines in Paris from Air Algerie to Delta with only his US visa and Algerian passport.

We're flying to Algeria in July and had hell finding a flight with only one stop in Europe that was reasonably priced. We didn't want to go to Chicago to get a Schengen visa.

Anyway, he should be fine with one stop in Europe. As for making the agents in Tunisia agree with that, well that's a different story. I suggest you print out info from the French consulate website or find a flight without a stop in Europe.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am so glad you posted this...it is one of those little details that get overlooked. My husbands mom will go to ticket agency tomorrow to ask about transit visa for both France and Italy and Saif will call the embassy. I will post all info they give to me. That sucks that when you buy these tickets, the place that sold them to you didn't mention or inform you about the transit visa

If he's flying Tunis-Italy-France-USA then he will need a Schengen visa not a transit visa. Apply for the Schengen visa at the consulate for the country of his first stop. A transit visa is for national of certain countries who will be transiting through the international zone of an airport. The flights between Italy and France are considered domestic flights with acces to the Schengen space therefore it is not a transit situation.

event.png

Timeline

If he's flying Tunis-Italy-France-USA then he will need a Schengen visa not a transit visa. Apply for the Schengen visa at the consulate for the country of his first stop. A transit visa is for national of certain countries who will be transiting through the international zone of an airport. The flights between Italy and France are considered domestic flights with acces to the Schengen space therefore it is not a transit situation.

It will be stop in either France or Italy (Tunis>Milan>Atlanta>Phoenix we are hoping for)His mom got the information on the transit visa. The ticket place said it does not take long to aquire the transit visa but I did not get specifics. I am curious if not long is days or weeks

Timeline

It will be stop in either France or Italy (Tunis>Milan>Atlanta>Phoenix we are hoping for)His mom got the information on the transit visa. The ticket place said it does not take long to aquire the transit visa but I did not get specifics. I am curious if not long is days or weeks

I think this is getting over complicated. If he has a visa for entry to the US, the itinerary above will not be a problem as long as he does not plan to leave the airport transit zone. He will not need anything additional. Good luck!

Timeline

I think this is getting over complicated. If he has a visa for entry to the US, the itinerary above will not be a problem as long as he does not plan to leave the airport transit zone. He will not need anything additional. Good luck!

As long as he will not remain in the France/Italy airport for more than 2 hours waiting for connecting flight...IF the layover is more than 2 hours the Tunisian person MUST get permission/Transit Visa to be in that country

USA visa has nothing to do with France/Italy rules

Edited by Lynn/Saif

Timeline

There have been many people spreading false information here. I would be very careful to not follow their recommendations. Instead, here is the link to the EXACT information for French Consulate: http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/spip.php?article383

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.