Obama 2012

TSA Agent Arrested for Stealing iPad's

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

anyone surprised?

----

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/TSA-agent-arrested-at-DFW-Airport-for-stealing-iPads-138455504.html

D/FW AIRPORT - Police arrested Clayton Keith Dovel, a Transportation Security Administration baggage inspector at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Terminal E, for stealing iPads from checked luggage.

Dovel works in the terminal, but unlike the security checkpoints where passengers are screened, the 35-year-old TSA employee works in an out-of-sight position in what's called the "Resolution Room" where checked luggage is screened by hand.

That's where police say they think Dovel took iPads that travelers packed away.

"For me, it was like zero chance of me thinking I'd get the iPad back," said Borna Mojra, an architecture student at the University of Texas at Arlington.

It was a long shot, but eight months after his new, 64 gigabyte iPad was stolen, D/FW Airport Police say they found Dovel with it at work.

They also found him with seven other iPads.

Another theft victim actually led police to Dovel. That individual tracked their stolen iPad to Dovel's Bedford home.

The theft has shaken Mojra's trust in the TSA.

"If they're the guys who are protecting us and they're not, who am I going to trust next?" he asked.

In a statement, the TSA said Dovel is on administrative leave until the agency can sort out what happened.

"The action of one individual in no way reflects on the outstanding job our more than 50,000 security officers do every day," the TSA added.

It's uncertain how many cases Dovel's arrest might solve, or whether the TSA will let him return to a trusted position.

No one came to the door at Dovel's Bedford home on Tuesday afternoon. There's no listed phone number for him or his wife.

Mojra said he hopes to get his iPad back next week, once investigators release it.

Theft continues to be a common crime at D/FW, but police have been successful lately in catching crooks at the sprawling airport.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Anyone who puts anything valuable in their checked luggage is just asking for it to be stolen

Really?Just asking for it to be stolen?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone who puts anything valuable in their checked luggage is just asking for it to be stolen

isn't that the same logic that created the slutwalks?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Yup

With that confirmation, I can now safely say that your statement was one of the more idiotic things I've read around here. And believe me, I've read some truly stupid things recently.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Who gives statements like this a +1 ???? :wacko:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

airlines tell you not to put valuable things in your checked luggage

from british airways

"Do not pack valuables in your checked baggage."

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

delta

"Carry valuables, medication, and travel documents in your carry-on luggage. "

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/travel_tips/baggage/index.jsp

Edited by Amby

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

from british airways

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

delta

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/travel_tips/baggage/index.jsp

Since government inspectors are stealing it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Since government inspectors are stealing it.

Well, luggage also may get lost. I've heard that that has happened a time or two. There are limits on the compensation for checked luggage that gets lost and hence, the airlines would advise not to put valuables into checked luggage. Just a theory...

Timeline

from british airways

http://www.britishai...hk/public/en_gb

delta

http://www.delta.com...ggage/index.jsp

Sure. That's because luggage can get lost or damaged. Not because there is an expectation that it's going to be stolen by the TSA.

Timeline

do you pack valuable stuff in your luggage?

Irrelevant. I don't usually pack valuable stuff in my luggage since I usually travel light, and sometimes I don't even check in luggage.

However, if I were to put valuable stuff in my checked luggage, I would not be "asking for it to be stolen" by the TSA.

If my luggage were to be damaged and the value of the item was higher than allowed by the airline's insurance coverage, then I would be at fault and would accept responsibility.

I do not however have a reasonable expectation that my item would be stolen by the TSA.