one...two...tree

A return to "Operation Wetback"?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Laurie Roberts - Arizona Republic

Rep. Russell Pearce has had a few decent ideas about illegal immigraion. He was right, for example, to push for employer sanctions and he almost got the bill passed, until his own GOP colleagues (with a little help from chamber lobbyists) ran him over. He's long been for a fence, another thing that many Arizonans will support.

This week, however, Pearce has gone flat out over the edge into looneyland. He's calling for a return to the 1950s and Eisenhower's "Operation Wetback".

"We know what we need to do," he said this week on KJZZ radio. "In 1953, Dwight D. Eisenhower put together a task force called 'Operation Wetback.' He removed, in less than a year, 1.3 million illegal aliens. They must be deported."

For those who are no longer living in the 50s and thus may not know much about Operation Wetback, it was a national backlash that began as a result of a great migration of people illegally crossing the border to work in the fields. Headed by a general Eisenhower had appointed to run the INS, the crackdown involved sending the Border Patrol, the military and local police sweeping through agricultural fields and Mexican-American neighborhoods, randomly stopping anyone who looked like they might be Mexican and asking for ID. Those who couldn't prove they belonged, along with their American citizen children, were put on buses and ships and taken deep into Mexico to discourage them from returning.

Pearce wants to bring this back? What are we going to do, stop people on the street and ask them for their papers? Kick in the doors where darker skinned people live and demand birth certificates?

How do you do such a thing, Rep. Pearce, and still be America?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over-reaction = chopf##k...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just read that. Shamefull.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

just wrong

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

must be election time.

Daniel

:energetic:

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Rep. Russell Pearce has had a few decent ideas about illegal immigraion. He was right, for example, to push for employer sanctions and he almost got the bill passed, until his own GOP colleagues (with a little help from chamber lobbyists) ran him over. He's long been for a fence, another thing that many Arizonans will support.

This week, however, Pearce has gone flat out over the edge into looneyland. He's calling for a return to the 1950s and Eisenhower's "Operation Wetback".

"We know what we need to do," he said this week on KJZZ radio. "In 1953, Dwight D. Eisenhower put together a task force called 'Operation Wetback.' He removed, in less than a year, 1.3 million illegal aliens. They must be deported."

For those who are no longer living in the 50s and thus may not know much about Operation Wetback, it was a national backlash that began as a result of a great migration of people illegally crossing the border to work in the fields. Headed by a general Eisenhower had appointed to run the INS, the crackdown involved sending the Border Patrol, the military and local police sweeping through agricultural fields and Mexican-American neighborhoods, randomly stopping anyone who looked like they might be Mexican and asking for ID. Those who couldn't prove they belonged, along with their American citizen children, were put on buses and ships and taken deep into Mexico to discourage them from returning.

Pearce wants to bring this back? What are we going to do, stop people on the street and ask them for their papers? Kick in the doors where darker skinned people live and demand birth certificates?

It is extreme and this ain't 1950. There are better ways that are technologically feasable. Better to make it mandatory by law for businesses to use SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) Program and the Basic Pilot Program to verify employment eligibility for all workers in the USA. At present, Basic Pilot is voluntary. It should be mandatory along with tamperproof Social Security Cards. If someone is not legally in the USA they will not be eligible to work. It will end the practice of 150 people using 1 Social Security number to work illegally. Employers that refuse to use the system should be prosecuted heavily.

Making sure that individuals sending money out of the country are citizens or legal residents / visitors. This will ratchet up the heat even more. Pass laws to ensure banks no longer aid illegal aliens to easily make bank transactions unless they are legal residents.

American citizens and legal residents are already in the government data bases, so it is not so difficult to use this data to crack down on illegals.

You get what you tolerate. If there is no tolerance for illegals they will leave for greener pastures. They will self deport when the game is over. Why waste money rounding them up when you can get them to leave voluntarily. Most of them paid money to come here and they will leave when the $$$ dry up.

I think by now most know what it will take to take a huge bite out of illegal immigration. It isn't rocket science nor will it involve any more inconvenience than most legal residents and citizens already go through to work legally in the USA.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is extreme and this ain't 1950. There are better ways that are technologically feasable. Better to make it mandatory by law for businesses to use SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) Program and the Basic Pilot Program to verify employment eligibility for all workers in the USA. At present, Basic Pilot is voluntary. It should be mandatory along with tamperproof Social Security Cards. If someone is not legally in the USA they will not be eligible to work. It will end the practice of 150 people using 1 Social Security number to work illegally. Employers that refuse to use the system should be prosecuted heavily.

Making sure that individuals sending money out of the country are citizens or legal residents / visitors. This will ratchet up the heat even more. Pass laws to ensure banks no longer aid illegal aliens to easily make bank transactions unless they are legal residents.

American citizens and legal residents are already in the government data bases, so it is not so difficult to use this data to crack down on illegals.

You get what you tolerate. If there is no tolerance for illegals they will leave for greener pastures. They will self deport when the game is over. Why waste money rounding them up when you can get them to leave voluntarily. Most of them paid money to come here and they will leave when the $$$ dry up.

I think by now most know what it will take to take a huge bite out of illegal immigration. It isn't rocket science nor will it involve any more inconvenience than most legal residents and citizens already go through to work legally in the USA.

but u know that systems arent flawless peejay, and you know some stupid joe will get someone that looks mexican and will say let's deport him, etc etc etc like its happening now in the airplanes, anyone that looks muslim (dark skin, big beard, talks funny) is considered a terrorist.. so, is it going to be worth the lawsuits and errors?

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

O snaaaaps we are all (if not native Americans) immigrates... #######... not this discussion again... it disppoints me when ppl try to we donnot like immigrates... and esp for Mexicans... hmmm not that long ago this was their land... and hmmm more Latinos in the US then whites...hmm makes you think...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Major issuse is lockin up banks to visitors too with that route. How do you verify they just visitor v illegal alien? Have them flash passport at all bank transactions??

O snaaaaps we are all (if not native Americans) immigrates... #######... not this discussion again... it disppoints me when ppl try to we donnot like immigrates... and esp for Mexicans... hmmm not that long ago this was their land... and hmmm more Latinos in the US then whites...hmm makes you think...

Go back far enough and even the Native Marican people emigrated here. People move about the globe for all different reasons, but now that ppls have merged into countries, and established them how ever they have been.. work in the present.. quit trying to explain away by going to the past to support something that isn't viable anymore. and what makes me think is where you got numbers that state there are more latinos in the continental US than caucasion ppls.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

Timeline

but u know that systems arent flawless peejay, and you know some stupid joe will get someone that looks mexican and will say let's deport him, etc etc etc like its happening now in the airplanes, anyone that looks muslim (dark skin, big beard, talks funny) is considered a terrorist.. so, is it going to be worth the lawsuits and errors?

So I guess we should just let in 12 - 20 illegal aliens just in case we might make a couple of mistakes trying to stop them?

You know...there is a .000000000000001% chance that you could get killed by a meteor on the way to work. Maybe you should spend the rest of your life hiding under the covers in bed and just stay home the rest of your life? There is a .0000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting hit by a meteor there. ;)

Major issuse is lockin up banks to visitors too with that route. How do you verify they just visitor v illegal alien? Have them flash passport at all bank transactions??

I guess when all they can come up with that is half way legit is a Matricular Consular card...that might be a dead giveaway?

After all the ####### I had to go through to get my wife and stepdaughter legit ID...there really isn't any excuse. They did quite well when all they had were valid visas.

Hell...I gotta show my driver's license just to cash a check at the Piggley Wiggley. Give me a break!

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So I guess we should just let in 12 - 20 illegal aliens just in case we might make a couple of mistakes trying to stop them?

You know...there is a .000000000000001% chance that you could get killed by a meteor on the way to work. Maybe you should spend the rest of your life hiding under the covers in bed and just stay home the rest of your life? There is a .0000000000000000000000000001% chance of getting hit by a meteor there. ;)

I guess when all they can come up with that is half way legit is a Matricular Consular card...that might be a dead giveaway?

After all the ####### I had to go through to get my wife and stepdaughter legit ID...there really isn't any excuse. They did quite well when all they had were valid visas.

Hell...I gotta show my driver's license just to cash a check at the Piggley Wiggley. Give me a break!

lol, but you know the chance that ICE or the cops detain someone just because he/she looks mexican (therefore illegal) is way much bigger than the strike of a meteor.. so, waddaya propose for those according to you not probable cases? 'oh, sorry, my bad, i thought u were illegal'... 'oh, it's your fault for looking mexican'.. or are you gonna respond as a caucasian that will never live that.. 'oh well, having 1 or 2 mistakes is worth a sacrifice for a greater good'?

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline

lol, but you know the chance that ICE or the cops detain someone just because he/she looks mexican (therefore illegal) is way much bigger than the strike of a meteor.. so, waddaya propose for those according to you not probable cases? 'oh, sorry, my bad, i thought u were illegal'... 'oh, it's your fault for looking mexican'.. or are you gonna respond as a caucasian that will never live that.. 'oh well, having 1 or 2 mistakes is worth a sacrifice for a greater good'?

In most of our exchanges you either flame the sh!t out of me or you pull the "poor downtrodden brown man" routine.

My grandparents lived in America as Russian immigrants in the deepest darkest days of the Cold War. They looked Slavic and had extremely heavy Russian peasant accents. Everybody has their crosses to bear. :yes:

Why not, we have people claiming that it is ok when the people are "suspected" terrorist, it IS "their" fault for being Muslim or middle eastern looking, so why not have a few accidents where illegal immigration is concerned?

We are all for giving up our privacy to unreasonable wiretaps, let's toss that one in there also...

I'm not saying that we SHOULD do this but why not, we do those other things...

I'd like to know how YOU feel illegal "immigration" should be handled...since:

and I DONT SUPPORT illegal actions

edit:darn typos

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!