paivaj_n_kubyaj

I'm self-employed, how do I go about writing a letter that verify my job and my income?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can use the sample format from this page if you wish to write your own letter: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Employment_Letter

Providing tax transcripts from the IRS is the best way to show proof of income for self-employed.

If you have not even filed the petition yet, then you have time to get your previous tax transcripts from the IRS. They are free. You can call 1-800-908-9946. There is an automated system to order them and they should arrive to you in the mail within 2 weeks. You won't need this information until it is time for the K-1 interview, which will not be for months after you file the petition.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

I'm self-employed, how do I go about writing a letter that verify my job and how much I make? Does anyone know? Should I include copy of my business license, business permit? certificate? Etc.???

You don't. Just supply three years of tax returns (or transcripts). If you have any 1099's, you can show those. My business was retail, so I just photocopied three years worth of returns and sent those. The new rules say one year, but I would send three years if you are self employed, rather than get an RFE.

Edited by ☼

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I'm self-employed, how do I go about writing a letter that verify my job and how much I make? Does anyone know? Should I include copy of my business license, business permit? certificate? Etc.???

A tax transcript is the best way to do it if you are a sole proprietor. Your business income would be listed on Schedule C when you file your 1040. The tax transcript will contain all of this. This will show how much you make.

To verify your job, write a letter on your business letterhead explaining that you are the owner and operator of the business.

Read the instructions for the 134C, self employed HAVE to send in copies of tax returns.

I have done both. They seem to like the transcripts better. Some people send the USCIS copies of tax returns they didn't actually file with the IRS. The transcripts are a little harder to doctor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Tax Transcripts from IRS verifying your Business income, with your EIN number on transcripts, proving you have a business and you have earning and pay taxes. Simple.

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Tax Transcripts from IRS verifying your Business income, with your EIN number on transcripts, proving you have a business and you have earning and pay taxes. Simple.

If you don't have employees, for example, you don't need an EIN.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=97872,00.html

Filed: Country: Laos
Timeline

You can use the sample format from this page if you wish to write your own letter: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Employment_Letter

Providing tax transcripts from the IRS is the best way to show proof of income for self-employed.

If you have not even filed the petition yet, then you have time to get your previous tax transcripts from the IRS. They are free. You can call 1-800-908-9946. There is an automated system to order them and they should arrive to you in the mail within 2 weeks. You won't need this information until it is time for the K-1 interview, which will not be for months after you file the petition.

Thank you for the link to the how to write the letter for self-employment. Loving it. I will use it for sure. No I have file the petition, I'm still new to the whole process, so I'm thinking I'm going to do it real soon if you guys are telling me that I don't need to worry about my income tax and 1-134 until later...then I would like to get the I-129 in asap to get something going u know what I mean, I don't want to wait another year anymore. Okay I will get the transcript then...then do I have to make copies of my 2011 tax returns too and sent the copies along with the transcript too? But I have not file my income tax for last year yet, but I do have my 2010 tax return but I'm thinking if I'm safe with just 1 year of tax return then I'm only going to request the transcript for the 2011 tax, is that okay? I didn't work the year 2009, so I have no tax return for that year.

Timeline

You don't. Just supply three years of tax returns (or transcripts). If you have any 1099's, you can show those. My business was retail, so I just photocopied three years worth of returns and sent those. The new rules say one year, but I would send three years if you are self employed, rather than get an RFE.

Thanks for the info...will I just have 2010 and I will be filing 2011 sometime soon. I dont have 2009, I didn't work that year. I am self-employed in the massage therapeutic field, I don't have anyone working for me or I am not working for anyone. So I don't have 1099. The tax preparer used Form 1040-V for my 2010 tax return, someone say it should be a schedule C, what's the different? I'll look it up if u dont know. But I wonder if that will be a problem if I fill the 2011 tax return form 1040 schedule c and the 2010 is a V, will that be okay???

Will I don't have people working for me so I think I'm not gonna have the EIN on the transcripts...

If you don't have employees, for example, you don't need an EIN.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=97872,00.html

Yeah I read somewhere saying that too...

Timeline

I have done both. They seem to like the transcripts better. Some people send the USCIS copies of tax returns they didn't actually file with the IRS. The transcripts are a little harder to doctor.

What do u mean by that "they didn't actually file with the IRS"??? Then who did they file their tax to?

Timeline

A tax transcript is the best way to do it if you are a sole proprietor. Your business income would be listed on Schedule C when you file your 1040. The tax transcript will contain all of this. This will show how much you make.

To verify your job, write a letter on your business letterhead explaining that you are the owner and operator of the business.

Okay got that, I found it where it says schedule C on my 2010 tax return Form 1040-V. Cool thanks. So you guys are saying I don't need to make copies of my business license, certificate, etc??? for additional evidence u know just in case they request for more evidence...then it's there already...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Just three years of your tax returns, 2011 is not due to April, you can supply it later for the interview. The key with USCIS is to follow the instructions, if you do not you will have issues, see the VJ guides and members. You will be OK.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Thanks for the info...will I just have 2010 and I will be filing 2011 sometime soon. I dont have 2009, I didn't work that year. I am self-employed in the massage therapeutic field, I don't have anyone working for me or I am not working for anyone. So I don't have 1099. The tax preparer used Form 1040-V for my 2010 tax return, someone say it should be a schedule C, what's the different? I'll look it up if u dont know. But I wonder if that will be a problem if I fill the 2011 tax return form 1040 schedule c and the 2010 is a V, will that be okay???

Form 1040-V is just a payment voucher. If you are self-employed, you should be filing Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ with your return. Go ahead and order transcripts for the last three years to see what was actually filed for those years. They are available free from the IRS.

What do u mean by that "they didn't actually file with the IRS"??? Then who did they file their tax to?

If you are self-employed, you try to minimize your tax liability. It is possible that you are not showing enough income to qualify, even though you made more that enough money. In order to get past that hurdle, some filers create false income tax returns showing sufficient income, and send copies of those with their immigration filings, hoping to qualify as a sponsor. That would be misrepresentation, and could get you in a lot of trouble, not just a denial if caught.

What you could do, that would be legal, is to file amended tax returns, or use income averaging, and pay any additional tax, fines, or interest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.