ik2011

Impact of traffic tickets wrongly assigned to me

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello all,

I am applying for citizenship in the near future and would like to know a few details about traffic tickets.

I was the co-signer of Ex's car and the car was apparently registered in my name. He had a few traffic violations and me being on the title, the tickets were sent to me. I sent notarized statements to the DMV stating I was not the driver and the tickets were then re-assigned to Ex.

Qn: Should I list these tickets on N-400?

Thanks

F2A

-----

10/29/2010: I-130 Sent

11/01/2010: NOA1

03/29/2011: NOA2

04/14/2011: NVC Case received

04/19/2011: AOS fee paid

05/07/2011: IV Fee paid

05/13/2011: AOS received

06/21/2011: Case completed at NVC

IR/1

-----

12/19/2012: Became US citizen and request sent to upgrade from F2A to IR/1

01/13/2013: Case completed (again!!)

04/02/2013: Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

I am applying for citizenship in the near future and would like to know a few details about traffic tickets.

I was the co-signer of Ex's car and the car was apparently registered in my name. He had a few traffic violations and me being on the title, the tickets were sent to me. I sent notarized statements to the DMV stating I was not the driver and the tickets were then re-assigned to Ex.

Qn: Should I list these tickets on N-400?

Thanks

Short answer NO, traffic tickets do not affect citizenship

Traffic tickets are not usually mailed, are you sure they are not PARKING tickets? Some places have these video monitors for traffic lights, tolls, etc and it could be that type of ticket.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Short answer NO, traffic tickets do not affect citizenship

Traffic tickets are not usually mailed, are you sure they are not PARKING tickets? Some places have these video monitors for traffic lights, tolls, etc and it could be that type of ticket.

Not Parking tickets. These are traffic violations with pictures and description of violation (improperly proceeding to the intersection on a red light, etc).

Back to my original question. Am I supposed to list them on my N-400 although they were sent to me by mistake?

F2A

-----

10/29/2010: I-130 Sent

11/01/2010: NOA1

03/29/2011: NOA2

04/14/2011: NVC Case received

04/19/2011: AOS fee paid

05/07/2011: IV Fee paid

05/13/2011: AOS received

06/21/2011: Case completed at NVC

IR/1

-----

12/19/2012: Became US citizen and request sent to upgrade from F2A to IR/1

01/13/2013: Case completed (again!!)

04/02/2013: Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Traffic tickets like the ones you mention (traffic lights etc) are usually ALWAYS mailed. Only if pulled over by police would something not be mailed. Parking tickets are not "traffic lights" etc. Was there a mistype in there somewhere?

Back to my original question. Am I supposed to list them on my N-400 although they were sent to me by mistake?

No. You were sent someone else's mail by accident.

If the car is registered in your name why does he still have it? It's your property.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Recently, USCIS is making an issue, not about the traffic violations, but proof that you paid them. You don't have to list these minor fines with DUI and the fines are under $500.00. But if you have notarized statements these tickets are not yours, would definitely bring that along to your interview. Just in case, if not, may get a decision cannot be made at this time with more delays.

I got those from my email also that i need to pay a traffic ticket...but it was in NY and I never went to NY that day...when i looked in my email..this was email to several people...i also was wondering if this is a spam or sumthin...I just keep ignoring it cuz im sure no one knows my email just my friends i know..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.