one...two...tree

Gov. Rick Snyder signs domestic partner benefits ban into law

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Public employees, including state and local government workers and public school teachers, will no longer be allowed to extend their health care benefits to domestic partners. It is unclear whether the bill applies to state universities, although Snyder asserts that it does not. House Republicans, meanwhile, say it does apply to university employees.

The move is a blow to gay and lesbian activists throughout the state.

"We’re so very disappointed in the governor," Kary L. Moss, executive director of American Civil Liberties Union's Michigan chapter, said in an interview. "This was the moment for him to show real leadership, to rise above what I believe is petty politics, to tell the rest of the country that Michigan is not living in the dark ages and to create an open, inclusive Michigan."

The legislation was strongly opposed by the Ann Arbor City Council, Washtenaw County Board of Commissioners, Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Regional Chamber of Commerce, University of Michigan and Eastern Michigan University.

City Administrator Steve Powers said the city of Ann Arbor offers domestic partner benefits as long as the employee and "other qualified adult" have lived together for 18 months. He said there currently are 12 adults receiving such coverage from the city.

The county's policy is similar. County Administrator Verna McDaniel said the county provides domestic partner benefits to nine "other eligible adults" right now.

In a letter penned after signing House Bill 4770 this morning, Snyder said the ban "does not extend to university employees" because of autonomy awarded to public universities in the Michigan Constitution.

The University of Michigan reported that 570 adults and 48 children currently receive benefits through a domestic partner allowance.

U-M and Eastern Michigan University officials have openly criticized the ban, saying it's harmful to a state economy that is still rebounding from recent years.

Moss said the bill was discriminatory and was likely to end up in court. That sentiment has been echoed by several local lawmakers, including State Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor.

http://annarbor.com/news/gov-rick-snyder-signs-domestic-partner-benefits-ban-into-law/

:thumbs:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Shack-up's should not be spongin off the tax payer for healthcare.

Way too much potential for fraud in this stuff anyway.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Shack-up's should not be spongin off the tax payer for healthcare.

Way too much potential for fraud in this stuff anyway.

I agree. The states do not need to be paying for girlfriends and boyfriends, gay or straight. This is not a "gay issue"

I have no problem with gay marriage or giving benefits to a spouse, but "domestic partner" is just to broad. Why not just "anyone that knows a state employee gets benefits"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

not a fan, but then again I'm a vermonter.

this would be more okay if gays and lesbians had the right to get married. then it wouldn't exclude legitimate partners/families.

846120dbkflotc04.gif

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

oh hi fellow vermonter. : )

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Timeline

not a fan, but then again I'm a vermonter.

this would be more okay if gays and lesbians had the right to get married. then it wouldn't exclude legitimate partners/families.

846120dbkflotc04.gif

Yep. You see how the anti-gay agenda strategy works? Deny them marriage, then dismiss their relationships as not being sincere. And see all the schmucks who lap it up.

Timeline

Yep. You see how the anti-gay agenda strategy works? Deny them marriage, then dismiss their relationships as not being sincere. And see all the schmucks who lap it up.

Why do you have a problem with Democracy?

In a Republic we are guided by both the vote and the rule of law, not the will of a minority who want to redefine marriage and what a family entails.

Since Insurance is also offered to unnumbered children in the family.... why not unlimited spouses, Who the F are you to judge what a family or marriage looks like?

:P

William Penn

Timeline

Why do you have a problem with Democracy?

In a Republic we are guided by both the vote and the rule of law, not the will of a minority who want to redefine marriage and what a family entails.

Since Insurance is also offered to unnumbered children in the family.... why not unlimited spouses, Who the F are you to judge what a family or marriage looks like?

:P

Danno logic strikes again. Okay, Mr. Logical Genius - so if it were popular to ban racially mixed marriages, you'd support that, right? Being that you are so "pro-democratic?" For those who are civics challenged, it might behoove them to actually go back to school and understand how our democracy works in this country as opposed to mob rule.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Timeline

Danno logic strikes again. Okay, Mr. Logical Genius - so if it were popular to ban racially mixed marriages, you'd support that, right? Being that you are so "pro-democratic?" For those who are civics challenged, it might behoove them to actually go back to school and understand how our democracy works in this country as opposed to mob rule.

Any society has the right to define it's laws.... that includes marriage between races, age, genetic relation or any other parameter.

Are you suggesting that if 100% of the people in this country wanted a law against anything, their will should be thwarted?

You are better suited to a theocracy where a "higher" law rules over the freedom of the people.

Why don't you trust "the people'?

Your know-it-all ... "screw what everyone wants" attitude reminds me of something attributed to William F. Buckley (I believe.)

"I would rather be ruled by the first hundred names in the Boston phone book than the faculty of Harvard."

Edited by Danno

William Penn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

mob rule won the day with the 17th amendment.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

I trust 'the people' but I don't trust 'the Danno.'

If the law bans gay "marriage" then there needs to be another method of obtaining all of the rights and privileges "marriage" encompasses to gay couples.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Any society has the right to define it's laws.... that includes marriage between races, age, genetic relation or any other parameter.

You're clueless about how our democracy works in this country and the intentions of our Founding Fathers. Sad for you and sad for this country if there are more Dannos out there.

Timeline

I trust 'the people' but I don't trust 'the Danno.'

If the law bans gay "marriage" then there needs to be another method of obtaining all of the rights and privileges "marriage" encompasses to gay couples.

But Homosexuality is just one of many expressions of love and of course sex.... why do you deny this and impose you rigid ideas on others by confining them to just choice A. or B.?

Homosexual or Heterosexuals each only choosing one partner?

Take your position to it's logical conclusion.-> people have a right to form their own ideas of what love and family consist of... without being shacked by religious tradition.

This is the society I want to see in action...... then we will be reminded of why the first model worked sooo much better.

William Penn

But Homosexuality is just one of many expressions of love and of course sex.... why do you deny this and impose you rigid ideas on others by confining them to just choice A. or B.?

Homosexual or Heterosexuals each only choosing one partner?

Take your position to it's logical conclusion.-> people have a right to form their own ideas of what love and family consist of... without being shacked by religious tradition.

This is the society I want to see in action...... then we will be reminded of why the first model worked sooo much better.

Try taking your model to it's (il-)Danno-logical conclusion. How exactly were things better when inter-racial marriages were illegal? How are same sex couples, dare I say it, marriages, different? I personally could care less if someone wants to marry multiple partners, someone from another race, another religion, or stays single and plays the field. I do care when persons such as yourself impose your values on others, which is not the same as failing to recognize many of our laws do exactly that, impose views born out of religion upon others.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS