Cherieish

A smorgasbord of questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My apologies and please bear with me on all the questions! I wish VJ would have examples of the AOS documents like they did for the I-129F. :/

1. Am I understanding correctly that if he entered on an approved I-129F, we got married, and now we're doing the AOS, we don't have to pay the fee for the Employment Authorization or Application for Travel? All we have to pay is the I-485 fee and the biometrics? Seems too good to be true. ;)

2. On I-485, it asks what his current USCIS status is. What are they looking for here? "Approved"? "I-129F"? And since his fiancé visa will technically expire before we get a chance to file the AOS paperwork, what is his status now? What do we put for the USCIS status expiration date?

3. I-485 also asks in what status he entered. It gives examples like "student," "visitor," etc. What do we put? K-1 fiancé visa?

4. I'm not sure how to find his nonimmigrant visa number. On his passport, there are two numbers besides his A-number. A number stamped in red starting with C with 7 digits after, and a long printed number that starts with 2011########## (labelled "Control number").

5. The employment authorization form (I-765) wants to know "Manner of last entry (visitor, student, etc.)" and "Current immigration status (visitor, student, etc.)" It's similar question to my 2 and 3, sorry!

Any help is REALLY appreciated!!

Our Timeline:

April 2003: We "met" online through a mutual friend.

March/April 2004: He visited me in California and we hit it off, but didn't want to do a long-distance relationship.

July 7, 2009: We got back in touch with each other.

April 15, 2010: My previous relationship ended and we decided that he would come visit me again and see where things went.

May 25 2010: We saw each other again for the first time in six years!

June 23, 2010: We decided to try a relationship.

November 8, 2010: We got engaged!

January 3, 2011: I began to assemble the I-129F packet

March 14, 2011: Mailed out the I-129F packet

March 16, 2011: NOA-1

May 31, 2011: NOA-2

June 13, 2011: NVC received our approved I-129F

June 15, 2011: NVC approved the I-129F and sent it to London

July 1, 2011: He mailed the completed Packet 3 in

July 15: His medical exam

July 29: We called the consulate and got his interview date

September 6: His interview - approved!

September 25: He entered the U.S. with his visa

November 18: WE GOT MARRIED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

1. If the other two are applied for simultaneously with the AOS, there's no additional fee. Compile each as though they're three completely independent packages (which they are) that are simply going to be mailed together in the same envelope once each is compiled.

2. Per two immigration lawyers, "Applicant for Adjustment."

3. K-1 visa.

4. I can't help with this one off the top of my head, but someone will.

5. See #2 & #3!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My apologies and please bear with me on all the questions! I wish VJ would have examples of the AOS documents like they did for the I-129F. :/

1. Am I understanding correctly that if he entered on an approved I-129F, we got married, and now we're doing the AOS, we don't have to pay the fee for the Employment Authorization or Application for Travel? All we have to pay is the I-485 fee and the biometrics? Seems too good to be true. ;)

2. On I-485, it asks what his current USCIS status is. What are they looking for here? "Approved"? "I-129F"? And since his fiancé visa will technically expire before we get a chance to file the AOS paperwork, what is his status now? What do we put for the USCIS status expiration date?

3. I-485 also asks in what status he entered. It gives examples like "student," "visitor," etc. What do we put? K-1 fiancé visa?

4. I'm not sure how to find his nonimmigrant visa number. On his passport, there are two numbers besides his A-number. A number stamped in red starting with C with 7 digits after, and a long printed number that starts with 2011########## (labelled "Control number").

5. The employment authorization form (I-765) wants to know "Manner of last entry (visitor, student, etc.)" and "Current immigration status (visitor, student, etc.)" It's similar question to my 2 and 3, sorry!

Any help is REALLY appreciated!!

There are example forms for AOS: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

1) It is true, the total fee is $1070. The fees for EAD and AP are waived when filing with the I-485

2) K-1 Visa Holder> See example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-485.pdf

3) Same answer as #2

4) The red number> Helpful FAQ: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

5) See example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-765.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Oh wow, I couldn't find examples when I looked earlier! Thank you both so much!

Our Timeline:

March/April 2004: He visited me in California and we hit it off, but didn't want to do a long-distance relationship.

April 15, 2010: My previous relationship ended and we decided that he would come visit me again and see where things went.

Timeline

Related to #2, if his status is K-1 Visa Holder, is the expiration date the 90-days-after-he-enters one? Because although we married within that 90 days, we're not applying for his AOS within that timeframe. Does that change anything?

EDIT: Oh. I just read the answer to this in the FAQ, which is that I ought to apply for the AOS within that 90 days. Damn. Oookay, rushing to get this done then...

Edited by Cherieish

Our Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Related to #2, if his status is K-1 Visa Holder, is the expiration date the 90-days-after-he-enters one? Because although we married within that 90 days, we're not applying for his AOS within that timeframe. Does that change anything?

EDIT: Oh. I just read the answer to this in the FAQ, which is that I ought to apply for the AOS within that 90 days. Damn. Oookay, rushing to get this done then...

No there is no requirement to file AOS in the 90 days. Please post a link to the FAQ where you saw this info so it can be corrected.

Timeline

No there is no requirement to file AOS in the 90 days. Please post a link to the FAQ where you saw this info so it can be corrected.

The first question here strongly implies it: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

"6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?

A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K-1 status expires, as indicated on the I-94.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices."

Our Timeline:

Timeline

The first question here strongly implies it: http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html

"6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?

A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K-1 status expires, as indicated on the I-94.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices."

Ahh that one. Well it's true that filing before the I-94 expires protects status but there is also no requirement to file in that timeframe. I personally filed after 4 months for many reasons. Waiting does NOT affect your ability to AOS. It will not be denied for waiting. But if you file for AP you can only use it if there is less than 180 days between the i-94 expiring and the AOS NOA1 date.

Timeline

Ahh that one. Well it's true that filing before the I-94 expires protects status but there is also no requirement to file in that timeframe. I personally filed after 4 months for many reasons. Waiting does NOT affect your ability to AOS. It will not be denied for waiting. But if you file for AP you can only use it if there is less than 180 days between the i-94 expiring and the AOS NOA1 date.

It would have been nice to wait until after I get my 2011 taxes finished, since I hardly made any money at all last year, but I suppose that my letter from employer/6 months of paycheck stubs will be sufficient to show that I currently meet the minimum income requirements. I busted by buns to get everything finished since I saw that this morning and now it's ready to mail tomorrow. :)

Our Timeline:

Timeline

It would have been nice to wait until after I get my 2011 taxes finished, since I hardly made any money at all last year, but I suppose that my letter from employer/6 months of paycheck stubs will be sufficient to show that I currently meet the minimum income requirements. I busted by buns to get everything finished since I saw that this morning and now it's ready to mail tomorrow. :)

Well actually seeing you mention that... There was a post recently where the person wouldn't earn the $18K in the time left in the year even though they HAD earnt enough so far it didn't count or something. If you file it now and it's not enough, you will have 86 days to reply to an RFE. I would assume that you'd get the RFE after the new year at which time I would file my taxes ASAP, then send the 2011 taxes and a letter from employer to prove income is sufficient. That make sense?

Timeline

Well actually seeing you mention that... There was a post recently where the person wouldn't earn the $18K in the time left in the year even though they HAD earnt enough so far it didn't count or something. If you file it now and it's not enough, you will have 86 days to reply to an RFE. I would assume that you'd get the RFE after the new year at which time I would file my taxes ASAP, then send the 2011 taxes and a letter from employer to prove income is sufficient. That make sense?

I think so. :) Thanks!

Our Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.