Dan&Aylin

Travel after AOS Interview???

32 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I have yet to find a recent definitive answer. I have my AOS interview on DECEMBER 7th and already have my EAD/AP combo card in hand. I have a flight booked home for Christmas between DECEMBER 21st and JANUARY 1st. Am I okay to travel using my AP on those dates, will I be allowed back in the US? I'm so confused. Lets say I am approved at my interview, doesn't that mean the AP is no longer valid? if that's the case, I'll need to present my GC at POE which I doubt I'll get before I plan to leave. I've read stuff about a stamp I can get in my passport, but again, it's all confusing to me. Can anyone please explain what I should do?

Thank you so much!

K1 Timeline

Engaged in Coventry, UK: 7-25-2010

Filed i-129F: 9-23-2010

NOA1: 9-29-2010

NOA2: 2-18-2011 *143 DAYS AFTER NOA1*

NVC Received: 3-4-2011

Consulate Received: 3-8-2011

Interview: 6-6-2011 *APPROVED 251 DAYS AFTER NOA1*

Visa in Hand: 6-10-2011

P.O.E at San Francisco International, CA: 6-23-2011

Marriage in Sunol, CA: 8-18-2011

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You MIGHT get the GC in time but I doubt it. Technically you shouldn't be using AP, and sometimes they take it off you at the interview but if people have been out when their GC was approved they were allowed to use it to get back in. I would ask for an I-551 stamp and show them the booked flight.

You MIGHT get the GC in time but I doubt it. Technically you shouldn't be using AP, and sometimes they take it off you at the interview but if people have been out when their GC was approved they were allowed to use it to get back in. I would ask for an I-551 stamp and show them the booked flight.

Thank you for the response. So you think I should ask for a stamp at the interview? Ok, I'll do that. If they won't stamp it can I make an infopass appointment at my local field office and get it stamped there? If so, what do I need to show them? Thanks again!

K1 Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I have yet to find a recent definitive answer. I have my AOS interview on DECEMBER 7th and already have my EAD/AP combo card in hand. I have a flight booked home for Christmas between DECEMBER 21st and JANUARY 1st. Am I okay to travel using my AP on those dates, will I be allowed back in the US? I'm so confused. Lets say I am approved at my interview, doesn't that mean the AP is no longer valid? if that's the case, I'll need to present my GC at POE which I doubt I'll get before I plan to leave. I've read stuff about a stamp I can get in my passport, but again, it's all confusing to me. Can anyone please explain what I should do?

Thank you so much!

Precisely this question came up during my AOS interview on November 14, 2011. The officer told me that as soon as he would order the production of my Green Card the EAD/AP combo card would no longer be valid. I could have left the US but upon my return it would have shown in the system that the EAD/AP is no longer valid and that a Green Card is in production. So I would have been in trouble. I was very glad that the officer told me that cause we live very close to Canada and I had thought that I could cross the border and come back with the combo card until I have my GC in hands. This is why he mentioned it in the first place. Well, like I said I had the interview on November 14 and the GC was in the mail on November 21, so with a little luck it can work out for you. Good luck for your interview. I hope it will be as easy for you as it was for us.

Because love has no borders...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My understanding is that if you were approved on the spot at the intrview you get a stamp in your passport. you can use that instead of your AP to re-enter. If you did not get approved and if more security checks are required, then you can leave and re-enter using your AP. AP is valid for 1 year. Make sure you get in to the USA before it expires.

Precisely this question came up during my AOS interview on November 14, 2011. The officer told me that as soon as he would order the production of my Green Card the EAD/AP combo card would no longer be valid. I could have left the US but upon my return it would have shown in the system that the EAD/AP is no longer valid and that a Green Card is in production. So I would have been in trouble. I was very glad that the officer told me that cause we live very close to Canada and I had thought that I could cross the border and come back with the combo card until I have my GC in hands. This is why he mentioned it in the first place. Well, like I said I had the interview on November 14 and the GC was in the mail on November 21, so with a little luck it can work out for you. Good luck for your interview. I hope it will be as easy for you as it was for us.

Thanks for your help and for the luck. Looks like I should get the stamp in my passport after my interview then (If approved of course) just to be safe in case my GC is not received.

K1 Timeline

Timeline

Thank you for the response. So you think I should ask for a stamp at the interview? Ok, I'll do that. If they won't stamp it can I make an infopass appointment at my local field office and get it stamped there? If so, what do I need to show them? Thanks again!

Yep you're right. Make an appointment at your local office. They should be able to see on the system that you are approved and give you a stamp in your passport.

My understanding is that if you were approved on the spot at the intrview you get a stamp in your passport. you can use that instead of your AP to re-enter. If you did not get approved and if more security checks are required, then you can leave and re-enter using your AP. AP is valid for 1 year. Make sure you get in to the USA before it expires.

Stamps aren't given out much anymore. They don't tend to approve on the spot. They'll say something like "well you're approved pending review" or "we'll send this off for review"

Yep you're right. Make an appointment at your local office. They should be able to see on the system that you are approved and give you a stamp in your passport.

Okay, thank you very much! One more question though, sorry. How long after my interview do you think I should schedule the infopass appointment for? Can I do it the next day, or should I wait a week for the appointment so I'm definitely in the system as approved?

K1 Timeline

Timeline

Okay, thank you very much! One more question though, sorry. How long after my interview do you think I should schedule the infopass appointment for? Can I do it the next day, or should I wait a week for the appointment so I'm definitely in the system as approved?

i wouldn't bother until after your interview. there's still a chance you'll the card before you leave, or they MIGHT give you a stamp AT the interview. If you want to try scheduling it now though I would book it for Dec 18th or something so you give the card time to arrive.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Perhaps it might be prudent to make an inforpass appointment scheduled for a few days before your departure.

If you are not given an I551 stamp after your interview then this may be a time where you can get it.

This is speculation on my part and others can chime in and confirm whether or not one can get an I551 stamp via an infopass appointment.

Edit: ooops, missed all the above discussion while I had this window open typing.

Edited by Yagisama

I had my interview on July 20th, left the US on July 21st, and on July 22nd got an email notice that GC was approved and card was in production. I returned early August using my AP without any problems, and was paroled into the country. I entered through JFK, and I was told by the CBP officer that they get people every day who have had their GCs issued while they were abroad, and they come back with the AP. According to him, this is very common and not a problem at all. The only thing he told me to keep in mind was that since I did not enter with my GC, my status in their system was still a "parolee", and if I did not travel internationally within 12 months from my entry I should come to POE with my GC and have them change my status from parolee to LPR.

This is of course just one experience, and others might have had problems returning with an AP after GC was issued. I do think that getting the I-551 stamp is definitely better if it is a possibility, but my understanding is that it is pretty rare to get an on-the-spot approval and a stamp these days.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Stamps aren't given out much anymore. They don't tend to approve on the spot. They'll say something like "well you're approved pending review" or "we'll send this off for review"

Well, in our case the officer told us after 5 minutes that we were approved and that he would order the production of my GC on the same day. Which he did cause I checked my status online later in the evening and it said card in production.

Because love has no borders...

Thanks for your help everyone. I have made an infopass appointment for December 13th. If I am approved at the interview, I'll ask for the stamp, showing my travel confirmation to the IO. If I can't get it there, I'll try at my infopass appointment, by which time I should have some sort of confirmation that I have been approved and should show as approved in the system. So they have to give me the stamp right? Is there any chance of me NOT being able to fly on those dates? I'll be able to go one way or another right?

K1 Timeline

Dont worry you wont have any problem. My interview was lets say April 13 and was told right away that I was approved. I asked the IO for a I-1551 stamp then traveled out of the US the next day April 14.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for your help everyone. I have made an infopass appointment for December 13th. If I am approved at the interview, I'll ask for the stamp, showing my travel confirmation to the IO. If I can't get it there, I'll try at my infopass appointment, by which time I should have some sort of confirmation that I have been approved and should show as approved in the system. So they have to give me the stamp right? Is there any chance of me NOT being able to fly on those dates? I'll be able to go one way or another right?

Yes, you will be able to get a stamp at that time. I personally asked this very same question at an infopass this morning.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.