10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm new to the AOS forum so please be patient with me if I sound a little "New".

Just got back from the SSA office after an unsuccessful attempt to do a name change. The pleasant guy at the counter told us that they cant change her name until it is changed with immigration. I chose not to argue with him and explained her status and that we were preparing to file her AOS and that currently she was on an I-94 (from a K-1) and that she didn't have a green card yet. He insisted that her name can only be changed through USCIS and that once she has a green card we can come back and change her SS card. So one of us is misinformed.

My question is can we file her AOS and then do a name change after? Or, do I need to press this issue and speak to a supervisor at the SSA office?

He also suggested that I ask my attorney? Ha Ha silly man.

Well I might be one of the misinformed..lol...but I got my first SS card a few weeks after I arrived, before the wedding.

I got my name changed on the SS card after the wedding, by a couple of weeks, by presenting my Marriage Certificate.

I went back and had the 'not for work with DHS permission' removed after AOS.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

Well I might be one of the misinformed..lol...but I got my first SS card a few weeks after I arrived, before the wedding.

I got my name changed on the SS card after the wedding, by a couple of weeks, by presenting my Marriage Certificate.

We had the marriage certificate in hand bu he was certain he couldn't change her name until USCIS had changed it. I'm just wondering if it will be a problem if we don't change it before AOS.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We had the marriage certificate in hand bu he was certain he couldn't change her name until USCIS had changed it. I'm just wondering if it will be a problem if we don't change it before AOS.

No it wont be a problem but man these SS workers they can't get it right for any of you. Did she already have an SS card? before you married? Regardless of that she can have it changed to her married name with proof of marriage cert and thats all you need. I went to get my SS card after we married and I got it in my married name as well and then after AOS I got the DHS work auth taken off.

If you want you can also try another office or ask for a supervisor and print off from the net that she can have it in her married name.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

No it wont be a problem but man these SS workers they can't get it right for any of you. Did she already have an SS card? before you married? Regardless of that she can have it changed to her married name with proof of marriage cert and thats all you need. I went to get my SS card after we married and I got it in my married name as well and then after AOS I got the DHS work auth taken off.

If you want you can also try another office or ask for a supervisor and print off from the net that she can have it in her married name.

Yes and Yes. I had the marraige certificate in my hot little hand but he was certain he couldn't do the job. We may try one more time and ask for a Supervisor.

Yes and Yes. I had the marraige certificate in my hot little hand but he was certain he couldn't do the job. We may try one more time and ask for a Supervisor.

I would. I was just lucky that I had someone who hadn't worked there long, and she had to ask what to do with me.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

eh - i'd take a different approach:

1. get it in the VISA name. be certain they look her up in the SAVE database, then ask if any miskeys or typos in SAVE on the A# or the NAME. If not found, or if any typos - get into a CBP Secondary Inspection Office / Deferred Inspection office and have it changed there (SSA can only view, CBP can update SAVE in real time).

2. when the card arrives, get back to the SSA office and do the name change. Get the Supervisor THEN and only THEN . There may be some timing issues, where the I-94 has expired, but even then - it's OK..

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

--

sorry, just reviewed yer timeline in yer sig area

duh.

My new opinion ;)

go back, get a supervisor. this is allowed by marriage certificate, no uscis 'activity' required.

That fella was a dolt.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You SSN should still have "Valid with DHS Authorization" on it... right?

Timeline

--

sorry, just reviewed yer timeline in yer sig area

duh.

My new opinion ;)

go back, get a supervisor. this is allowed by marriage certificate, no uscis 'activity' required.

That fella was a dolt.

Minor slip Unca Darnell.

He was a friendly dolt though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.