^_^

The Republican Party has a problem.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The Republican Party has a problem. Herman Cain, a man who was living a comfortable life as a motivational speaker but who, like many public figures, harbored fantasies of becoming President, has taken over his party’s nomination process. Cain experts disagree over whether Cain genuinely believes he can and will be President (a minority opinion, though one held by people close to him) or whether the entire enterprise is simply a financial venture to increase his speaking fees gone horribly awry (the majority view).

Either way, Cain represents the emergence of a truly new phenomenon in Presidential politics: the fringe frontrunner. Every Presidential campaign attracts eccentrics with slim résumés and no chance of winning. Sometimes they are wealthy businessmen (like Steve Forbes) who buy their way into the spotlight. Other times they are minor celebrities among a small, passionate group of ideologues within the party (like Ron Paul). They exist in every open Presidential primary in both parties. They often enliven debates and force their more electable, centrist colleagues to take uncomfortable stands on difficult issues, which is generally a good thing for our politics. In previous elections, these fringe candidates have never come close to becoming serious contenders. They run to push the ideological debate further to the right or left and to make a name for themselves in the process. If they are lucky, they end up with some notoriety, a new national fundraising base, and perhaps a show on cable TV. These types of fringe candidates don’t truly prepare for the absurdities and difficulties of a Presidential campaign because in their heart of hearts they never believed they would make it very far.

Herman Cain has made it, and the result is akin to a dog catching a car. To wit, in the last twenty-four hours we have learned:

*Two female employees accused Cain of “inappropriate behavior” that led Cain’s former employer, the National Restaurant Association, to pay cash settlements in the five-figure range. In a shotgun spray of responses today, in which he said he’d been falsely accused, Cain alternatively said “I’m not aware of a settlement”; that he had asked his accountant and others to handle the settlement but didn’t know the details; and that the settlement to one accuser was three months worth of her salary.

*A private corporation set up by Cain’s chief of staff, Mark Block, the man smoking a cigarette in a recent campaign video, gave the Cain campaign forty thousand dollars worth of goods and services, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, apparently in violation of campaign finance laws. (The Cain campaign hasn’t addressed those allegations yet.)

*Cain believes the President of the United States can sign a federal ban on abortion despite the fact that the Supreme Court has found abortion to be constitutionally protected

*When asked a question about his tax plan, Cain, living out a sort of Presidential politics version of the famous Woody Allen-Marshall McLuhan scene from “Annie Hall” (below), brought his economic adviser to the podium at the National Press Club to explain it.

*When asked, “Do you have any fiscal recommendations for Europe?” Cain responded, “No, I do not, honestly.”

Cain, who leads Romney in a rolling average of all national polls of Republicans, ended his National Press Club appearance by singing “He Looked Beyond My Faults”.

In addition to the allegations of scandal, Cain has barely thought through his views of the world and has little knowledge of the many issues serious Presidential candidates face. In our strange system for choosing a President, this has not always been a handicap for a fringe candidate. But we are witnessing the next great upheaval in our politics: at a moment when everyone would like simpler answers to a tough set of problems, Republicans are rallying around the Chauncey Gardiner of the G.O.P.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/the-fringe-frontrunner.html

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well, if you really want things to change you have to elect someone different to President. For sure if Romney, Perry, or Obama wins the election things will be pretty much the same as they've been for the past 11 years or so. We know that doesn't work anymore, so why not? You either vote for someone you think is going to fail or someone you know is going to fail. Take your choice.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, if you really want things to change you have to elect someone different to President.

Not really. The President must be a Republican-Democrat regimer to get things done. An outsider will be a lame duck for 4 years, unable to push through anything.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not really. The President must be a Republican-Democrat regimer to get things done. An outsider will be a lame duck for 4 years, unable to push through anything.

so basically we are just screwed no matter what.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Timeline

so basically we are just screwed no matter what.

Change comes in fits and spurts when you have an inefficient government. American's also constantly suffer from buyer's remorse, so any major change would be short lived.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am not so sure. IF Cain were to be elected it would not happen in a vacuum. Along with him would come a majority of Repubs in BOTH houses and a mandate to make fundamental changes. You are speculating that only an outsider President would be elected and everything else would be the same. I do not make that assumption.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Bill, your avatar makes me dizzy. Can you please change it?

Better yet, Put him on ignore and do not respond to anything he says.

Why do liberals always need to ask someone else to solve a problem they can solve themselves faster easier and cheaper? Ever seen what happens when they get stuck on an escalator?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am not so sure. IF Cain were to be elected it would not happen in a vacuum. Along with him would come a majority of Repubs in BOTH houses and a mandate to make fundamental changes. You are speculating that only an outsider President would be elected and everything else would be the same. I do not make that assumption.

Let's hope you're right.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Republican Party has a problem. Herman Cain, a man who was living a comfortable life as a motivational speaker but who, like many public figures, harbored fantasies of becoming President, has taken over his party’s nomination process. Cain experts disagree over whether Cain genuinely believes he can and will be President (a minority opinion, though one held by people close to him) or whether the entire enterprise is simply a financial venture to increase his speaking fees gone horribly awry (the majority view).

Either way, Cain represents the emergence of a truly new phenomenon in Presidential politics: the fringe frontrunner. Every Presidential campaign attracts eccentrics with slim résumés and no chance of winning. Sometimes they are wealthy businessmen (like Steve Forbes) who buy their way into the spotlight. Other times they are minor celebrities among a small, passionate group of ideologues within the party (like Ron Paul). They exist in every open Presidential primary in both parties. They often enliven debates and force their more electable, centrist colleagues to take uncomfortable stands on difficult issues, which is generally a good thing for our politics. In previous elections, these fringe candidates have never come close to becoming serious contenders. They run to push the ideological debate further to the right or left and to make a name for themselves in the process. If they are lucky, they end up with some notoriety, a new national fundraising base, and perhaps a show on cable TV. These types of fringe candidates don’t truly prepare for the absurdities and difficulties of a Presidential campaign because in their heart of hearts they never believed they would make it very far.

Herman Cain has made it, and the result is akin to a dog catching a car. To wit, in the last twenty-four hours we have learned:

*Two female employees accused Cain of “inappropriate behavior” that led Cain’s former employer, the National Restaurant Association, to pay cash settlements in the five-figure range. In a shotgun spray of responses today, in which he said he’d been falsely accused, Cain alternatively said “I’m not aware of a settlement”; that he had asked his accountant and others to handle the settlement but didn’t know the details; and that the settlement to one accuser was three months worth of her salary.

*A private corporation set up by Cain’s chief of staff, Mark Block, the man smoking a cigarette in a recent campaign video, gave the Cain campaign forty thousand dollars worth of goods and services, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, apparently in violation of campaign finance laws. (The Cain campaign hasn’t addressed those allegations yet.)

*Cain believes the President of the United States can sign a federal ban on abortion despite the fact that the Supreme Court has found abortion to be constitutionally protected

*When asked a question about his tax plan, Cain, living out a sort of Presidential politics version of the famous Woody Allen-Marshall McLuhan scene from “Annie Hall” (below), brought his economic adviser to the podium at the National Press Club to explain it.

*When asked, “Do you have any fiscal recommendations for Europe?” Cain responded, “No, I do not, honestly.”

Cain, who leads Romney in a rolling average of all national polls of Republicans, ended his National Press Club appearance by singing “He Looked Beyond My Faults”.

In addition to the allegations of scandal, Cain has barely thought through his views of the world and has little knowledge of the many issues serious Presidential candidates face. In our strange system for choosing a President, this has not always been a handicap for a fringe candidate. But we are witnessing the next great upheaval in our politics: at a moment when everyone would like simpler answers to a tough set of problems, Republicans are rallying around the Chauncey Gardiner of the G.O.P.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/the-fringe-frontrunner.html

:lol:

This article could very well be about Obama 4 years ago...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I told you guys 2 weeks ago, "Stick a fork in Cain. He has no chance." These sex scandals could be the end of his candidacy, but in all fairness (even though he was still a top the polls 2 weeks ago) it was clearly obvious this guy could NEVER be the republican nominee. He just changes his story minute after minute, regardless of the issue.... and he knows very little about any issues anyhow. I said it 2 weeks ago and I'll say it again... "Stick a fork in Cain; he is done."

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27