KATHERINE+RODNEY

Told to bring $350 to Visa interview in Lima, Peru

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Has anyone else ever been told to bring $350 U.S. to the Visa interview in Lima, Peru before? Is this normal or are they taking advantage of me? I have never heard of this before. I knew the medical was about $225-$250 and the passport was $20 but I have never heard of paying another $350 after already paying the $350 for the Visa petition in the beginning.

Thanks....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Has anyone else ever been told to bring $350 U.S. to the Visa interview in Lima, Peru before? Is this normal or are they taking advantage of me? I have never heard of this before. I knew the medical was about $225-$250 and the passport was $20 but I have never heard of paying another $350 after already paying the $350 for the Visa petition in the beginning.

Thanks....

The actual visa interview now costs $350 US dollars, which is on top of all the other costs up to this point. So that's accurate. The I 129F costs $340. Is this the amount you're referring to when you said paying $350 in the beginning?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Yes. Bring the money. US dollars only I believe. It is the actual cost of the visa. And BTW...this is only the beginning. The big stuff comes later. :crying:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As written above, the cost of the petition is $340. Once that is approved...then the cost of the actual visa is an additional $350...plus medical. Yes, unfortunately, this is legit. Then....when you adjust status here in the USA, it will be an additional $1070.00.

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

Timeline

Thanks....

A big Yes Rodney, nothing to worry about. K-1 visa is paid inside the Embassy this is the fee they charge to "process" your paperwork, is ridiculously expensive though :blink:

And when is the big day??? Best wishes for you guys!!! :thumbs:

10-24-2012: AOS, EAD, AP Sent

11-04-2012: NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

11-06-2012: Biometrics App Letter

11-16-2012: My baby boy was born

11-19-2012: Biometrics Appointment

12-29-2012: AP Approved

01-04-2013: EAD Approved

01-10-2013: Combo Card Arrived

ceE0m5.png iZBZm5.png

O8N4m5.png Zn0gm5.png

Timeline

The actual visa interview now costs $350 US dollars, which is on top of all the other costs up to this point. So that's accurate. The I 129F costs $340. Is this the amount you're referring to when you said paying $350 in the beginning?

Yes. Thanks very much for the tip. I was unaware. Thanks for informing me.

Timeline

As written above, the cost of the petition is $340. Once that is approved...then the cost of the actual visa is an additional $350...plus medical. Yes, unfortunately, this is legit. Then....when you adjust status here in the USA, it will be an additional $1070.00.

Ouch! I was unaware of the huge fees. I assumed there would be fees, but not that big. But I am willing to pay the price to be with my Katherine.

She never received the packet from the embassy. After waiting 34 days after the dated letter from the State Departments National Visa center stating that within one week they would forward the petition to Lima Embassy. VJ guide says that it is appoximately 4-7 weeks after Lima receives the petition that we should expect the packet with the medical info and interview date. Well after 34 days I called Lima today and they said her interview is scheduled for Wdnesday November 2. So, there is now wy I can go to the interview now with just 2 days notice. We thought we would have 3 to 4 weeks notice from the time the packedt arrived at her residence until the actual interview.

So, I will just use the money I was going to spend on another plane ticket and hotel for the Visa interview and adjustment of status.

Do you think me not being at the interview will hurt? I hate it that she never received the packet. But I have read recently that that happens sometimes in Lima.

Timeline

A big Yes Rodney, nothing to worry about. K-1 visa is paid inside the Embassy this is the fee they charge to "process" your paperwork, is ridiculously expensive though :blink:

And when is the big day??? Best wishes for you guys!!! :thumbs:

We just found out today that it is in two days. Wednesday Nov. 2. She never received the packet from the embassy with her appointment date. I called today to the embassy and found out.

Is not the way we planned it, but it is what it is.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

As everyone else said, yes, it is $350 per person. They'll take cash or credit card. Don't know about personal check.

-------------------------------

Met - January 2010
Engaged - 24 November 2010
Sent I-129F to Lewisville Lockbox - 7 December 2010
I-129F Received - 8 December 2010
NOA1 - 9 December 2010
Check Cashed - 10 December 2010
Touch - 13 December 2010
Touch - 31 December 2010
Touch - 3 May 2011
NOA 2 - 3 May 2011
NVC Received Petition - 11 May 2011
NVC Sent Petition to Lima - 13 May 2011
Packet 4 Received - 11 June 2011
Medical Exam - 30 June 2011
Interview - 5 July 2011
POE Ft Lauderdale - 24 July 2011

Legal Marriage - 5 August 2011

Filed AOS - 17 October 2011
I-485 Received - 18 October 2011
NOA Received - 31 October 2011
Check Cashed - 1 November 2011
Biometrics - 23 November 2011
NOA 2 Received - 4 January 2012
Interview Scheduled - 7 February 2012

Green Card Received 28 March 2012

Sent I-751 to VSC - 19 February 2014

I - 751 Received 21 February 2014

Biometrics 16 September 2013 - Were done already for I-90 for stolen Green Card.

Cash Checked 27 February 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We just found out today that it is in two days. Wednesday Nov. 2. She never received the packet from the embassy with her appointment date. I called today to the embassy and found out.

Is not the way we planned it, but it is what it is.

Thanks

Wow. That's not the way it works at most consulates. Usually, the beneficiary is sent a preliminary packet containing a form or two that they have to send back to the consulate, including a form that indicates they are ready for the interview. The packet also contains a list of stuff they'll need for the interview. After that, they usually send a packet containing additional forms they need to fill out and bring to the interview. They need to complete their medical exam before the interview, which can take several days to a week or more to get the results, depending on the country.

Also, most consulates won't let a foreigner into the visa unit unless they have an appointment letter. You should ask them if it's sufficient if she prints out the email they sent you.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Can you reschedule or is it too late... or is that a bad idea cuz depend on how fast you can reschedule

I don't know if we can reschedule. I let the lady that answered the phone at the embassy know that I was planning on being at the embassy with Katherine for the interview but do not have time to make travel plans in just two days. Katherine has her Passport, police record, DS-156 and DS-156K, a copy of everything I have sent to the USCIS....and all letters I have received so far from the USCIS and State Department.

The lady said her interview was NOV. 2, and said for her to come at 9:00 A.M. I hope she can get in the building with all papers she has. It's a crying shame that some countries Embassies or post offices can't get a package to a persons house in their own country. People have told me that this happens alot in Lima. That is the reason I called.

Timeline

Can you reschedule or is it too late... or is that a bad idea cuz depend on how fast you can reschedule

I'm afraid if we miss this appointment we will go to the back of the line. I would rather her just go to the interview without me and even without having done the medical yet and then be told we have to do these one or two things then come back on a certain day scheduled by the consular.

It is what it is. Every thing was going smoothly until this big road block we just hit. Please pray for Katherine and Rodney in your prayers. She is really nervous over the interview and has been stressed out because she had to prepare in just two days notice'

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.