Heracles

Whats with the Avatar Steve n Jinky?

216 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If your response was to my comment Infidel, you're missing my point. You made it clear that your posts were specifically aimed at one person using religion to try to stir things up. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm saying you dropped the balled and missed your mark...your carry through was false so no one really saw it as you raising a serious issue, instead you carried it off as if just poking at someone.

At first it was a bit of fun. Asking a legitimate question to get an honest answer. I didn't realize people would jump on and start attacking me.. So when I saw people doing that I raised the bar and was shocked to see how low some would stoop to offend me. Then turn around say I am the #######..

I'll have to sit you down and teach you how to debate things sometime :)

Personally if I had a picture on display and someone religious told me it honestly offended them, be it Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or Jewish, I would remove it.. The thing with steve is I know he deliberately set out to use that picture with no disregard for someone else..

Hey as many would know I disagree with a lot of islamic ideals but I have never ever blatantly insulted a muslim buy using something islamic in a derogatory manner.

If there's a point here it needs seriously sharpening. As it is, it gets duller and duller - trying to fillet a fish with sledge-hammer ;)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
At first it was a bit of fun. Asking a legitimate question to get an honest answer. I didn't realize people would jump on and start attacking me.. So when I saw people doing that I raised the bar and was shocked to see how low some would stoop to offend me. Then turn around say I am the #######..
I'll have to sit you down and teach you how to debate things sometime :)

Personally if I had a picture on display and someone religious told me it honestly offended them, be it Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu or Jewish, I would remove it.. The thing with steve is I know he deliberately set out to use that picture with no disregard for someone else..

Hey as many would know I disagree with a lot of islamic ideals but I have never ever blatantly insulted a muslim buy using something islamic in a derogatory manner.

I myself might not remove it immediately. Reason being the picture itself might not be the problem, as you implicated in one of your earlier posts in the thread, the basis for the offense was not the picture itself but the assumption that it was being used as an affront to your religion, a sorta thumbing ones nose attitude over your belief system.

If that was the root cause of you feeling offended (ie; if someone neutral had it up it woundn't be an issue) then removing the picture really wouldn't solve the problem or make you feel any better about the situation.

So....I would talk about it

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Noone's offended by Tarzan are they?

yes i'm offended. i've reported you to the society for the prevention of cruelty to orangutans :thumbs:

If you only knew how much Tarzan 'loves' his primates.

What's not to understand. Amendment no amendment.

I did not realize one has the freedom to insult the other 84% of the world who believe in a religion.

Need I post examples..

Reason being the picture itself might not be the problem, as you implicated in one of your earlier posts in the thread, the basis for the offense was not the picture itself but the assumption that it was being used as an affront to your religion, a sorta thumbing ones nose attitude over your belief system.

Being an international immigration forum, as some have stated, you would think one would have respect for others beliefs.. Hence the OP being a simple question..

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

I did not realize one has the freedom to insult the other 84% of the world who believe in a religion.

Need I post examples..

Reason being the picture itself might not be the problem, as you implicated in one of your earlier posts in the thread, the basis for the offense was not the picture itself but the assumption that it was being used as an affront to your religion, a sorta thumbing ones nose attitude over your belief system.

Being an international immigration forum, as some have stated, you would think one would have respect for others beliefs.. Hence the OP being a simple question..

What if I don't think you are genuinely religious. Does that have anymore validity than your assumption that an avatar image was posted with the intent of offending you?

Timeline

Need I post examples??

Well frankly I myself haven't been too involved in many of the religious threads, but If I had a picture up that you felt was offensive to your religious beliefs I would talk to you about it rather than just bending to your proclaimation that it was offensive.

I might not view the image in the same light as you, it might mean something important to me personally, the picture itself might not be what is offensive to you, but your perception of my motivation for posting it.

Being bullied into removing it at your demands wouldn't really reasolve the root cause of the problem in those cases, the picture might be gone, but then I would be upset at you for pushing me around, and you'd be upset wih me because you felt I was intentionally offending you. So what would really be different.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

I129

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

offensive to your religious beliefs

It's not a matter of being offensive but rather disrespectful. I don't know about others but I personally never set out to deliberately offend someone.

Just look at the garbage some have written in the first few pages of this thread.

Timeline:

WHOA !!!!

That cat is huge, what have they been feeding that thing? :o

I think it ate Infidel. :unsure:

I am rollerLOLing

:lol::lol::lol:

At this point we have gotten to the jokes..

More jokes to follow..

it's kind of spooky that some can see it and some can't.....what can it mean? should I be afraid? :unsure:

...sometimes you may see it on your toast... or at the bottom of your coffee mug.

This is where it get's really good..

Therefore you have a Orthodox Christian picture of Jesus. Something tells me you ain't the religious type.

I've got a bunch of Greek Orthodox icons at my house and I'm for sure not the religious type. I found one each for the saints we share names with and a beautiful Panagia. I like how similar she is to the Virgin of Guadelupe.

I think it's cute how your religion "means" something to you only when you can stir sh!t up with it. :)

That's why I affectionately call him Infantile.

And for the grand finale.....

:lol: I dunno....I have an image of a T Shirt my son has that has had him banned from all Tesco stores( they told him....ALL stores, not sure how they police that cos he refused to give his name or anything but maybe they have photo of him as 'Most Offensive' or something :whistle: ) and refused on buses....my daughter refuses to go anywhere with him when he wears it cos she get embarrassed at the reaction it causes.

One of these?

517_satanhomeboytee.gif

159_thisendup.gif

175_666.gif

49_hands.gif

50_jmanson.gif

So let me get this straight. My comments and beliefs gives these certain so-called 'we are for the good of people' VJ members the right to sit here and have a go at my religious beliefs..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

offensive to your religious beliefs

It's not a matter of being offensive but rather disrespectful. I don't know about others but I personally never set out to deliberately offend someone.

No $hit....?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
So let me get this straight. My comments and beliefs gives these certain so-called 'we are for the good of people' VJ members the right to sit here and have a go at my religious beliefs..

Gee... let me get THIS straight... how is everyone supposed to know exactly what ARE your so called religious beliefs, and why should we take them seriously? Will you take others lack of belief just as seriously? Why does religion have to matter in an OT forum on an immigration site?

Quite honestly... I don't give a flip about your religious beliefs, nor do I care what you think about mine. There, the feeling is mutual. You like to thumb your nose at Muslims with your screen name, and that seems to be fine with you, yet you expect everyone to show concern for your feelings?!!! Give me a break. How about you just run along and get a life.

Sheesh!

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Timeline

Personally I myself would never intentionally set out to offend someone else just for the sake of doing so either.

I have to say though, I myself didn't perceive your post as truedly being concerned or offended over the religious aspect of the avatar, and I consider myself fairly compassionate to others feelings. So I can see where others might not have either....it appeared more as a persosnal issue with the person. Especially considering the next part.

When they started with the can't see it comments....wierd things were going on with his avatar...in fact that also worked against your point. See the avatar wasn't showing for everyone. I myself couldn't see it I just had an x placeholder where it should be so I had no idea what you were talking about. Thus they were a bit baffled by the fact that some people could see it and others couldn't.

The rest...well by then you had stirred things up because it came off as an unprovoked attack. And at that point the thread took a bit of a turn regarding perceptions, welsh mentioned her son has a tshirt people find offensive, and he doesn't find it funny that they do, he just dosn't get why they do, he doesn't see it the same, and we started talking about band tshirts and our kids...thus all the pictures...thread hijack on that.

Now regarding displaying something considered a religous icon, by someone who doesn't proclaim to be a follower of that particular religion. It does happen and not necessarily as an insult to that religion...I know because I myself am guilty of that if you would classify that as being something worthy of guilt.

I love angels, not really the pretty girly flowery angels but for the most part the warrior archangel type angels. I have a beautiful musical I guess you'd call it a figurine of an angel from one of the cemetaries in Lousiana, I have a number of others and I have such a beautiful painting on my wall of this small innocent maybe 2 year old child with tiny airy little white whisps of wings as a cherub. These things are beautiful and I treasure them...but on the other hand I have never been able to blindly accept the existance of something intangible, something that can't be difinitively solidly proven to me.

I respect others beliefs, and that they feel they are on the one path. But for me I see how very many different factions and belief systems there are, and having the scientific analytical mind that I do I myself think...well everyone thinks their way is the one true way, but there are a bunch of ways out there and no solid tangible proof that ONE specific one truely IS THE way. Thats why it's called faith though, those who have faith don't need tangible solid proof, they have faith.

I've also come a bit closer at one point in my life to one that became rather destructive. Although I myself was not involved in the situation, my older sister was the aunt of a "cult" leader by marriage for around 3 -4 years. People believed in him, so much many people died for their beliefs in a face off with members of our government. It's a bit scary.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

I129

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

Gee... let me get THIS straight... how is everyone supposed to know exactly what ARE your so called religious beliefs, and why should we take them seriously? Will you take others lack of belief just as seriously? Why does religion have to matter in an OT forum on an immigration site?

Quite honestly... I don't give a flip about your religious beliefs, nor do I care what you think about mine. There, the feeling is mutual. You like to thumb your nose at Muslims with your screen name, and that seems to be fine with you, yet you expect everyone to show concern for your feelings?!!! Give me a break. How about you just run along and get a life.

Sheesh!

That would be a Catch-22. Better call Joseph Heller...

Sheesh!

So don't waste time posting personal attacks. There is nothing specifically targeting let alone offending muslims but more having a joke at islamic extremists who want to kill westerners..

Edited by Infidel

Timeline

Sheesh!

So don't waste time posting personal attacks. There is nothing specifically targeting let alone offending muslims but more having a joke at islamic extremists who want to kill westerners..

PS How about you show me the site you got your mail order partner from??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sheesh!

:lol: Well, at least I don't think that particular insult from his wee arsenal is especially personal.

After all, he once told me to go enjoy my third-rate mail-order bride.

My mail-order bride is awfully hairy, and kind of large...

Sheesh!

So what you must be saying is that it is ok for a liberal to throw out cheap remarks but not ok for someone else to fire them back. Either way that statement was withdrawn..