hotstuff

NOW MARRIED,WHATS THE ANSWER TO Q1 On N-445

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"Have you married since last interview? "...

Well I married outside the US while being LPR and my wife does not live here in the US . So she is not documented. Can I answer no since we're not legally married in the US?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

"Have you married since last interview? "...

Well I married outside the US while being LPR and my wife does not live here in the US . So she is not documented. Can I answer no since we're not legally married in the US?

Married is married, regardless of where the marriage took place. If you are legally married in Country X, you are legally married in the US.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from CR-1 to US Citizenship forum as OP is naturalising *****

You are legally married in the USA's eyes. However, did you not already include your wife's details in the N-400?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Married is married, regardless of where the marriage took place. If you are legally married in Country X, you are legally married in the US.

good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Timeline

You got married, so the correct answer is YES.

What exactly is the problem?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

***** Moving from CR-1 to US Citizenship forum as OP is naturalising *****

You are legally married in the USA's eyes. However, did you not already include your wife's details in the N-400?

No I didn't since we were not married at the time I applied for citizenship. We got married a few weeks before my interview and was advised to say yes to"are you single"

at the interview because we married out of state and she is not 'documented' in the US yet.

Timeline

You got married, so the correct answer is YES.

What exactly is the problem?

The problem bob,is I don't want to answer yes and then present our marriage certificate on oath ceremony and have the whole process put on hold. I just thought that since she's not here in the US yet,am technically single till I file i-130. Also, I haven't heard of anyone presenting their marriage certificate during oath ceremony on this forum.

Edited by hotstuff

Timeline

We got married a few weeks before my interview and was advised to say yes to"are you single"

at the interview because we married out of state and she is not 'documented' in the US yet.

If I understand that post correctly, you were advised to lie in an immigration interview??? :wacko:

NEVER lie in an immigration interview, NEVER....period, full stop.

Anybody who advises anybody to lie in an immigration interview should be cut loose, ignored, told to shove it, etc.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

The problem bob,is I don't want to answer yes and then present our marriage certificate on oath ceremony and have the whole process put on hold. I just thought that since she's not here in the US yet,am technically single till I file i-130.

Regarding the words I put in bold, you thought wrong. :bonk:

Lying in an interview and on any form is material misrepresentation, something that will present a whole slew of problems.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Filed: Timeline

No I didn't since we were not married at the time I applied for citizenship. We got married a few weeks before my interview and was advised to say yes to"are you single"

Who the heck advised you to do such a stupid thing? You misrepresented yourself. It doesn't matter if you got "married out of state and she is not 'documented' in the US yet." You are married. If it is recognized where it occurred and it is not against US public policy (no polygamy, etc.), then it is recognized by the US.

The problem bob,is I don't want to answer yes and then present our marriage certificate on oath ceremony and have the whole process put on hold. I just thought that since she's not here in the US yet,am technically single till I file i-130. Also, I haven't heard of anyone presenting their marriage certificate during oath ceremony on this forum.

How does filing the I-130 magically make you married????

Presenting a marriage certificate is not a requirement during the oath ceremony. That's why you haven't heard anyone having to do it.

You need to correct your misrepresentation. You accept any delays. If you proceed and file for your wife, you will dig yourself a bigger hole.

Please, please, go see an immigration attorney. You've made a mistake. Don't keep making it by ignoring it or doing something that makes it worse. While you may think you are doing something wise, you may actually be making a big immigration mistake. Get an experienced attorney to help you.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is recently getting married just half of the story? How did you come here? Not through marriage to a US citizen I hope. This will really open a can of worms especially if your wife is from your home country.

Timeline

Who the heck advised you to do such a stupid thing? You misrepresented yourself. It doesn't matter if you got "married out of state and she is not 'documented' in the US yet." You are married. If it is recognized where it occurred and it is not against US public policy (no polygamy, etc.), then it is recognized by the US.

How does filing the I-130 magically make you married????

Presenting a marriage certificate is not a requirement during the oath ceremony. That's why you haven't heard anyone having to do it.

You need to correct your misrepresentation. You accept any delays. If you proceed and file for your wife, you will dig yourself a bigger hole.

Please, please, go see an immigration attorney. You've made a mistake. Don't keep making it by ignoring it or doing something that makes it worse. While you may think you are doing something wise, you may actually be making a big immigration mistake. Get an experienced attorney to help you.

I appreciate your suggestions. But at no time have I presented a married certificate or elected 'married 'on any form. For all I care, she's my fiancée! !!. I was obviously Miss informed but I have to move on. So as things stand,we're looking at filing a k1 visa. .none of us enjoys the wait.

On the other hand, if marriage certificate is not presented at oath and I answer yes to Q1,am I in the clear? Am not big on attorney. I think there's enough information or instructions to guide your petitions.

I appreciate your suggestions. But at no time have I presented a married certificate or elected 'married 'on any form. For all I care, she's my fiancée! !!. I was obviously Miss informed but I have to move on. So as things stand,we're looking at filing a k1 visa. .none of us enjoys the wait.

On the other hand, if marriage certificate is not presented at oath and I answer yes to Q1,am I in the clear? Am not big on attorney. I think there's enough information or instructions to guide your petitions.

NO. NO. NO. It doesn't matter if you have not presented a marriage certificate or "elected 'married' on any form." You are married. Period. You can not "elect" anything. It's not an election you can make. You are married.

"For all I care, she's my fiancee." What does the rest of the world say???? According to the US government, you are married. What you care for doesn't matter. It is what the US government's position that matters.

You cannot file a K-1 for your wife. K-1 are only for single people. Your wife is not free to marry someone else. She is not single. She is married to you.

You are not in the clear. You are going to create a big problem for yourself.

You are married. You cannot "elect" otherwise. You do not need to present your marriage certificate to the US government to be married.

You don't seem to accept what people have been posting as replies. You are not single. Your wife is not single. You are both married to each other. No one is agreeing with you. You need to rethink your position.

It's your choice to ignore everyone here who saids that you are married. It's your choice to create problems for yourself.

Edited by Jojo92122

You titled this post as "NOW MARRIED,WHATS THE ANSWER TO Q1 On N-445." How can you be single and married at the same time?????

If you keep insisting that you and your wife are single, you are going to make a big mess. You will waste time, money, and possibly risk your US citizenship for lying on a naturalization form. Don't do it.

I am trying to help you. You need to recognize that you are married. You and your wife are not single.

Edited by Jojo92122

Oh my! You just had to update your N-400 form during the interview with your new marital status via informing the interviewing officer and everything would be OK. By stating that you are single during the interview you created a big big mess since you were married BEFORE the interview. I would actually consult an immigration attorney about this. You need to understand that your citizenship can be revoked if it is determined that you lied on your N-400 form or during the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.