chester71

Good advice needed please

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please can someone help us with some good, solid and reliable advice if possible?. In August I met the lady of my dreams, My soul mate and all being well my future wife. I'm due too fly out at the begining of November to be with her. I'm going for 90 days but we're planning on getting married at the end of December. I haven't applied for a fiancee visa as we've been told that they can be quite complicated, I don't know how true that is. We've kept all emails etc to prove that our relationship is valid and don't plan on getting married until after 40 days of me being there. The other problem I fear the most is that I don't have a clean record, I've never been to prison and only had two fines and a caution, however one of the offences was for possesion of a small ammount of cannabis and I was fined for it. I was only charged with possesion and NOT possesion with intent to supply and that was nearly 12 years ago and I've not touched any drugs since. We are pulling our hair out with concern as we obviously want to get married and do everything by the law so I can live and work as a U.S citizen. My future wife to be has a good job and can support me etc until I get the green light to work. So are we going about this the right way or should we apply for a fiancee visa? Will my record effect any future decision of citizonship? If we marry before I'm due to leave am I allowed to stay beyond the 90 days? My flight is booked and I answered no to all the questions on the ESTA form which has been approved. I'm worried about the above questions and that I may even be turned away at point of entry. Please help as I would like to get a good and worry free nights sleep before I leave lol.

Thank you very much for any help given.

Please can someone help us with some good, solid and reliable advice if possible?. In August I met the lady of my dreams, My soul mate and all being well my future wife. I'm due too fly out at the begining of November to be with her. I'm going for 90 days but we're planning on getting married at the end of December. I haven't applied for a fiancee visa as we've been told that they can be quite complicated, I don't know how true that is. We've kept all emails etc to prove that our relationship is valid and don't plan on getting married until after 40 days of me being there. The other problem I fear the most is that I don't have a clean record, I've never been to prison and only had two fines and a caution, however one of the offences was for possesion of a small ammount of cannabis and I was fined for it. I was only charged with possesion and NOT possesion with intent to supply and that was nearly 12 years ago and I've not touched any drugs since. We are pulling our hair out with concern as we obviously want to get married and do everything by the law so I can live and work as a U.S citizen. My future wife to be has a good job and can support me etc until I get the green light to work. So are we going about this the right way or should we apply for a fiancee visa? Will my record effect any future decision of citizonship? If we marry before I'm due to leave am I allowed to stay beyond the 90 days? My flight is booked and I answered no to all the questions on the ESTA form which has been approved. I'm worried about the above questions and that I may even be turned away at point of entry. Please help as I would like to get a good and worry free nights sleep before I leave lol.

Thank you very much for any help given.

You can't enter the U.S. with the intention of getting married and staying if you are coming on a visitor visa. Since you've now said that's your plan we will advise that if you DO get married you will need to leave, go home, and file the for a CR-1.

10-16-2010 Married

03-17-2011 I-130 sent

03-19-2011 I-130 received

03-23-2011 NOA1

03-25-2011 Touch

06-16-2011 NOA2

07-18-2011 NVC Received

07-19-2011 Emailed DS 3032

07-29-2011 Emailed DS 3032 AGAIN-still no response

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Generated

08-03-2011 AOS Bill Paid

08-03-2011 Emailed DS 3032 Yet Again!!!

08-05-2011 Mailed AOS packet

08-08-2011 AOS packet delivered

08-08-2011 DS 3232 accepted

08-09-2011 IV Bill Generated/Paid

08-10-2011 IV marked PAID

08-10-2011 IV packet Mailed

08-11-2011 IV packet delivered

08-16-2011 AOS package processed

08-22-2011 IV packet processed

08-22-2011 SIF/Case Closed

08-25-2011 Interview date received

10-13-2011 Interview-APPROVED

l198oyeua.png

d1emrulw6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fiance visas are not complicated, all you do is fill out the form and supply relationship evidence.

You will have to return back to the UK after the marriage and file for a spousal visa.

If your intention is to stay in the USA after marriage and adjust your status that is immigration fraud.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

First off, you can not come here as a visitor with the intent to get married and stay. You can however come here, get married, file for a CR-1 and stay until your I-94 is about to expire and then return to the UK for the interview. Even though people do this and get away with it, your case already has a big red flag with the drug conviction so compounding that with immigration fraud is throwing gas on the fire.

Second, having a previous drug conviction will cause problems with getting a tourist visa, you are ineligible to use the VWP because of the controlled substance conviction. You need to read up on the VWP and ESTA about this. You definitely don't want to misrepresent anything on these or try to slip past because that will be part of your permanent record when applying for your immigrant visa later. Also, the past drug use will cause a problem with getting approved for an immigrant visa. I can't remember the exact restrictions but I believe 1 conviction was something like a 2 year ban (maybe 3) and more than one is a lifetime ban. Again, I'm going from memory so I may have the numbers mixed up. Whatever you do, DO NOT misrepresent anything on the forms for the tourist visa or the immigrant visa as that will guarantee a lifetime ban

Your case has enough road blocks to it that you really need to consult an immigration attorney.

Edited by Casprd

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What was the ESTA question re drugs?

And how much drugs were involved - weight.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you could just go over, get married and stay don't you think we would have all done that. Do it the proper way, either get married come back and file or file for the K1. It isn't complicated, it can be a long process but there is lots of info how to do it.

K1 Visa

Mar 28th 2011 - I-129F posted.

Mar 31st 11 - Delivered.

Apr 5th 11 - NOA1 (email).

Apr 8th 11 - NOA1 hardcopy received - dated 4/4/11

June 24th 11 - NOA2 hardcopy received - dated 20/6/11

July 19th 11 - Case number given

Aug 5th 11 - Packet 3 letter received

Aug 13th 11 - Police certificate received

Aug 15th 11 - Medical booked for 22 Aug @ 9.50am

Aug 16th 11 - Packet 3 returned & Visa fee paid

Aug 22nd 11 - Medical complete

Oct 7th - Interview - Approved =)

Nov 14th - POE Chicago

Jan 8th 2012 - Wedding ♥

AOS

Mar 24th 2012 - Package posted to Chicago PO Box

Mar 29th 2012 - NOA1 by email

Timeline

Thank you very much everyone for your advice. Let me please point out that neither myself of girlfriend ever had any intention of doing anything illegal even if it may came across as so. This is alien territory to me as I've only ever been outside of the UK once in my entire life!! I'm sure I only got caught with 27.3 grams of cannabis although as it was so long ago I'm not a 100% certain and I believe it states that its ok to answer no on the moral turpitude question if it was less than 30? I've been doing lots of research online regarding this issue. Other than that I was totally honest when filling out the ESTA form. So if I manage to get into the U.S without being deported can I then apply for a fiancee visa on arrival? If so does this extend my stay in any way? If not then obviously I will leave on my 90th day.

Thank you all again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you come on VWP and overstay by even a day you can NEVER use it again. Since you have stated your intent to get married on a forum that is monitored at times by immigration ( VJ has even been mentioned in interviews ) it would be unwise to try to claim you didn't intend to marry when you arrived ( lying to immigration could lead to a lifetime ban ) Have you ever met before ? If so you could start the K1 now and cut some time off the processing. Otherwise intend on visiting and returning and then you can visit again during the process.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I don't know if you have really looked into a K-1 visa, but here is a link to the government website. Maybe have a look over it and if you have any questions there's a lot of really knowledgeable people on here to give you some advice.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#1

Edited by Mrs GH

Timeline

We haven't made any solid plans to get married these are just ideas at the moment as I said neither of us want to do anything illegal as we all have far too much too lose should it go wrong. We've not met yet but we must spend a good 8 hours plus per day on the web cam. Does this effect any possible applications for the fiancee visa?

Can't thank you all enough for your help.

We haven't made any solid plans to get married these are just ideas at the moment as I said neither of us want to do anything illegal as we all have far too much too lose should it go wrong. We've not met yet but we must spend a good 8 hours plus per day on the web cam. Does this effect any possible applications for the fiancee visa?

Can't thank you all enough for your help.

You have to meet in person and show proof to start the fiance visa. So when you go on you trip make a plan to gather evidence. Save your boarding pass to the US. Make a credit card charge in her town or withdraw money from a machine that clearly shows her town name and the date. Or both make charges in the same store minutes apart. Best Buy is a great place because it will print your names on the receipt as well as city, date, and time.

And use your time to evaluate how attracted and committed you are in person. How do you like her house, town, pets, food, climate, friends, relatives?? How many things do you disagree on? Do you get into arguments? Can you trust each other? Can you stand each others habits? Lots to consider before you can know you'll be happy with her and America for the long haul.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Lots to consider I agree, But there are good things we have going. I've met her children and family on web and we all get along fantasticly well. I've never been married and my girlfriend has been once and always said she wouldn't do it again lol until we met. Even the children have never accepted anyone that she's dated since but have taken to me in a big way same with her mum. We have so much in common it's quite scary! The town is beautiful and the climet is right up my street as I love the sun!!!. We're well aware that theres a big difference between a web relationship and the real deal, we've never had a bad word to say to eachother as yet. So I'm hoping that theres a solid base too build on from that. Thank you for your tips thats very useful to know. Does that mean we can file for a fiancee visa when I arrive? If they let me in that is lol.

Thank you all again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Lots to consider I agree, But there are good things we have going. I've met her children and family on web and we all get along fantasticly well. I've never been married and my girlfriend has been once and always said she wouldn't do it again lol until we met. Even the children have never accepted anyone that she's dated since but have taken to me in a big way same with her mum. We have so much in common it's quite scary! The town is beautiful and the climet is right up my street as I love the sun!!!. We're well aware that theres a big difference between a web relationship and the real deal, we've never had a bad word to say to eachother as yet. So I'm hoping that theres a solid base too build on from that. Thank you for your tips thats very useful to know. Does that mean we can file for a fiancee visa when I arrive? If they let me in that is lol.

Thank you all again.

If you plan on getting married December 2011 then NO you will not be able to file for a fiance visa when you arrive in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

And you answered no?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.