briancole

Airline madness!

62 posts in this topic

With some flexibility in the dates and destinations, you can save a lot of money. Hint: If the flight into the US doesn't go to Salt Lake City, you can get another ticket to get to Salt Lake City.

Those Spirit prices aren't bad, but looking at Orbitz you can take AeroMexico from Lima to SLC for $584, with one stop in Mexico City, including taxes and fees. If that doesn't work you can get a ticket to LAX for $524 and a $99 ticket from LAX to SLC. Those prices aren't available every day of the week, so make sure to check different dates.

On a separate but related comment: with Taca you can change flight dates at no cost whatsoever. That said, to make things less hard, I'd advise buying the ticket directly from the Taca site.

:wow: I don't work for Taca nor I am in any way connected to them, but my experience with them has been so good and amazing that I'm pretty much sold into flying with them every time I go to South America: they charged me nothing to change flights -6 hours before the flight I wanted was scheduled to depart; It was about midnight when I called their customer center (later finding it was in El Salvador) and not only that, but they also arranged with AeroMexico to switch my connecting flight over to them (Taca) also at no cost. I didn't even have to wait on hold; they told me they would make the arrangements and call me back. When they called back, they apologized because it took them about 25 minutes to do all this.!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks again for all your help, we're still trying to figure out exactly how we'll do it. One thing though that I still don't quite understand: How do we get the visas? We go to a DHL Office and hand in the passports. Then do they send them to an address? Do we come back and pick them up? What are some of the ways one can get the passports?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks again for all your help, we're still trying to figure out exactly how we'll do it. One thing though that I still don't quite understand: How do we get the visas? We go to a DHL Office and hand in the passports. Then do they send them to an address? Do we come back and pick them up? What are some of the ways one can get the passports?

The visa is affixed to the passport so the passport will be left at the Consulate. Then, you'll get a package back containing the passport with visa affixed along with a sealed envelope you are not to open. That envelope is presented to the CBP officer at the POE, so keep in in carry-on luggage.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

If the interview outcome is favorable or if they just need to check a few things, the immigration officer will keep your passport. You will be given a slip of paper and you will walk outside the building to the DHL kiosk that is inside the embassy complex. There will be a short wait at the kiosk, you'll fill out a form, and pay (can't remember the cost). Based on where you live, they will give you the address of a DHL office at which you must pick up the passport with visa and a packet with other materials (some of which you are not permitted to open!). They will tell you what date they expect to have the packet, though you may be instructed to call first to check. There are certain hours that they will hand back the embassy packets to you at the particular DHL office, so pay attention to this as they might not be the same hours the DHL office is open for regular business. It should be within a week if there are no issues at the interview.

Edited by yachachiq12

My wife and stepson have their interview scheduled for November 22! YAY! I'm so excited, finally this whole process is coming to a close. But now, how do I get them home??? I've been breaking my head against the wall trying to work out flights for them that won't completely destroy me financially. I've been working out various possibilities and I want to run them by you guys now and get your opinions on them, also to see if there's any flaws in my thinking....

1st! and most important, from everything I've read, as soon as the interview is complete and if everything goes well, they can come to the States. Is this correct? Before I buy anything I want to know for sure that this is true. I need to know if there's any kind of waiting period to be expected or whatever...

2. I'm going to fly down to Peru before the interview to be with them at the interview and help them pack and such. My first thought was to buy round-trip tickets going down there and coming from for the three of us, just obviously they wouldn't use the tickets going down, just the tickets coming home. After some research, however, it looks like if I do that, the flight will be cancelled in it's entirety if they are not on board for the first flight. Is this true? Does anyone know if this is a possible idea?

3. Seriously, one way flights are financial suicide. It'd be great if I could just buy them one-way tickets going out of Lima to where I live, but they cost so sooo much! It'd be cheaper for me to buy them round trip tickets going from Peru to the US then back to Peru, and simply not use the tickets going back! At this point it is my plan to do this, but I'm the paranoid type and worry about unforeseen problems. Would them having a round trip flight back raise suspicion with immigration or customs on the way into the country? How 'bout the airlines? Do they usually have any kind of penalty for doing this sort of thing? Seems like a fairly easy loophole to exploit, I would imagine there could be some kind of safeguard against such an action, such as a fine or whatever.

4. Finally, what am I not thinking of? What advice could you give me based on your experience? What did you do to get your loved ones home with you?

Please help me out with this, I'm trying to get my travel arrangements figured out ASAP so as to get the best possible rates. Thank you in advance for you assistance, and thank you Visa Journey for helping me get to this point!!!

Just another thing I remember: while most airlines collect the departure airport tax, some do not I believe; and that is paid at the airport, cash only..Make sure you get that covered

Timeline

If the interview outcome is favorable or if they just need to check a few things, the immigration officer will keep your passport. You will be given a slip of paper and you will walk outside the building to the DHL kiosk that is inside the embassy complex. There will be a short wait at the kiosk, you'll fill out a form, and pay (can't remember the cost). Based on where you live, they will give you the address of a DHL office at which you must pick up the passport with visa and a packet with other materials (some of which you are not permitted to open!). They will tell you what date they expect to have the packet, though you may be instructed to call first to check. There are certain hours that they will hand back the embassy packets to you at the particular DHL office, so pay attention to this as they might not be the same hours the DHL office is open for regular business. It should be within a week if there are no issues at the interview.

Okay, that helps a lot. How long will they hold onto the packet at the DHL office? Do I have some time before I need to pick it up? I ask this because we may need to go back to where she lives (Apurimac) to finish packing some of her things, etc.

Timeline

Okay, that helps a lot. How long will they hold onto the packet at the DHL office? Do I have some time before I need to pick it up? I ask this because we may need to go back to where she lives (Apurimac) to finish packing some of her things, etc.

Check with DHL about how close to Apurimac, they have a location available for visa delivery.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Check with DHL about how close to Apurimac, they have a location available for visa delivery.

Yeah, they have offices in the provinces and it might take longer for the package to make it to the provinces. This is all something you will have to inquire about at the kiosk at the embassy -- how many days they hold it, where they deliver, etc. about all your options. I doubt you'll find someone here who has specific and recent experience with Apurimac.

Timeline

Yeah, they have offices in the provinces and it might take longer for the package to make it to the provinces. This is all something you will have to inquire about at the kiosk at the embassy -- how many days they hold it, where they deliver, etc. about all your options. I doubt you'll find someone here who has specific and recent experience with Apurimac.

Yeah, I would expect as much. So it has to go to her address in Apurimac, we can't specify what address we need it to go to?

Timeline

Yeah, I would expect as much. So it has to go to her address in Apurimac, we can't specify what address we need it to go to?

Go back and read again. She will pick it up at an available DHL location. You need to know if there is one near her home that they will ship it to. Ask DHL.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Go back and read again. She will pick it up at an available DHL location. You need to know if there is one near her home that they will ship it to. Ask DHL.

Right. Brian, you will talk to the DHL folks at the embassy and they will help you figure out which location works best for you. If that's in Lima or Apurimac, so be it. You can decide based on how things unfold and your timing post-interview. DHL doesn't know where you do or don't live and they will send it where you request. One thing I wouldn't try is re-routing it after making the initial decision at the embassy kiosk, as that is a sure-fire way to lose your packet! Don't make it too complicated -- just decide and go with it.

Timeline

Right. Brian, you will talk to the DHL folks at the embassy and they will help you figure out which location works best for you. If that's in Lima or Apurimac, so be it. You can decide based on how things unfold and your timing post-interview. DHL doesn't know where you do or don't live and they will send it where you request. One thing I wouldn't try is re-routing it after making the initial decision at the embassy kiosk, as that is a sure-fire way to lose your packet! Don't make it too complicated -- just decide and go with it.

Thank you for actually answering my question. Obviously I can check if there's a DHL near where she lives. I know how Peruvian officials and agencies are and I wondered if they would require it to go where her stated address is. That's how things usually work there. Gladly not in this case. I don't want it going to her home, that'll take to long. It'd be better if it were to stay in Lima, so I'm glad I can choose that. Thanks again for your help.

Well, I've purchased my plane tickets to go to Peru, I'll hold off on buying my trip back until I have the visa. Thank you all for your advice and opinions, they've not only helped me figure out how to prepare for this situation, but you've also helped me find some great airlines for getting back there to visit. So thanks again and I'll be back to record our experience at the Embassy in the Embassy review section and hopefully to help others where I can. I would have had a much harder time if it hadn't been for this resource!

Timeline

Thank you for actually answering my question. Obviously I can check if there's a DHL near where she lives. I know how Peruvian officials and agencies are and I wondered if they would require it to go where her stated address is. That's how things usually work there. Gladly not in this case. I don't want it going to her home, that'll take to long. It'd be better if it were to stay in Lima, so I'm glad I can choose that. Thanks again for your help.

Well, I've purchased my plane tickets to go to Peru, I'll hold off on buying my trip back until I have the visa. Thank you all for your advice and opinions, they've not only helped me figure out how to prepare for this situation, but you've also helped me find some great airlines for getting back there to visit. So thanks again and I'll be back to record our experience at the Embassy in the Embassy review section and hopefully to help others where I can. I would have had a much harder time if it hadn't been for this resource!

Your question has been ably answered several times but you're not understanding it. Her visa packet will not get delivered to her. She will pick it up at one of the available DHL locations. You'll have to ask DHL where the nearest one of those is to where you expect to be at the time it will be available for pickup.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just want to say... I found the cheapest one way tickets for 3 including tax (equivalent to round trip for 1 person) from Jamaica to US, and I wish I could book...but gotta wait. :dance:

Case #1: CR1 & CR2-Hubby & Kids
6/6/11...Priority Date
7/2011...NOA2 ~44 days
8/5/2011...NVC & IIN # Received
9/12/11... CR1 & Cr2 cases completed. ~37 days
11/4/11... CR1 & CR2 Interview APPROVED!!!
11/2011... POE
Praise Jesus!smile.png
----------------------------------
Case #2 - F1-Sister
USCIS

10/2006....I-130 sent.

NVC
9/2011.....NVC Case # received.
1/2012....AOS Bill Paid & I864 sent.
2/2012....IV Bill Paid & DS 230 sent
2/2012....**Case on Child Status Protection Act Review**

3/2012...Case complete waiting for interview date.

KNG Embassy

11/2013...Interview date :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just want to say... I found the cheapest one way tickets for 3 including tax (equivalent to round trip for 1 person) from Jamaica to US, and I wish I could book...but gotta wait. :dance:

What website did u get it from

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.