Alianza Terps

Sister-in-law denied Tourist Visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

So my sister-in-law applied for a tourist visa and had her interview yesterday. She is 30-years-old and single. Her evidence and ties to Peru included a letter from her employer (she is an engineer, has been employed by the same company for several years and makes a great salary), one car registered in her name, a recently signed bank loan so that she can buy a new car, letter of invitation from me and my husband, credit card statements, and bank statements. Despite all of this information, the consulate asked her only a few questions:

Where will be you staying? Who will you be visiting? How old are you? What is your job? What is your martial status?

Based on her answers to these questions, she was immediately denied a tourist visa and did not even have a chance to submit her supporting evidence. It was really disappointing since we thought she had a good chance of getting a tourist visa due to her background, education and supporting documents. We were all frustrated with the lack of real consideration for her visa (considering you pay $140 and take time off for the actual interview) plus just the general feeling of disappointment and the idea that the consulate deemed her "unworthy" of a tourist visa when she is a good, hard-working person who would never violate the visa laws.

Anyway, I don't have any questions but I just wanted to share our recent experience at the U.S. embassy in Peru. She will try again next year but who knows if it is even worth it since they seem to make up their minds before the interview if they are just going off age and martial status...

While I don't think immigration reform, especially non-immigrant visa reform, will change anytime soon I believe that there has to be a better way to decide how people qualify for a visa. Good luck to all future applicants of the tourist visa!

Edited by Alianza Terps

She should apply again (maybe without the letter of invitation from you). I have seen a lot of people get approved the second time with the same evidence. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Even with strong ties to her home country, tourist visa is not guaranteed, if your sister isn't married, no children and or in her 20's there's a pretty good chance that visa will not be granted. The CO presumed that she will not return upon entry to the US so visa was denied. However she can apply as much as she want but there's still no guarantee that a visa will be issued.

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

She should apply again (maybe without the letter of invitation from you). I have seen a lot of people get approved the second time with the same evidence. Good luck.

Do you think the letter of invitation and the fact she was visiting her brother, an immediate relative, hurt rather than helped, her chances of getting the visa?

I know nothing about the tourist visa is guaranteed but in the future, if she applies again, we would definitely like to make sure we are helping, not hurting, her chances.

Do you think the letter of invitation and the fact she was visiting her brother, an immediate relative, hurt rather than helped, her chances of getting the visa?

I know nothing about the tourist visa is guaranteed but in the future, if she applies again, we would definitely like to make sure we are helping, not hurting, her chances.

Yes, I do. I think this is a mistake a lot of people make. The steady job should be a big swing in her favor. I would just have her apply again. Like I said, I have heard reports on here of many people getting approved the second time, with the same evidence.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Yes, I do. I think this is a mistake a lot of people make. The steady job should be a big swing in her favor. I would just have her apply again. Like I said, I have heard reports on here of many people getting approved the second time, with the same evidence.

The next time she applies (probably in April or May) will be because we wish to have her and my husband's family come over to participate in our wedding next year (we just had a small civil ceremony in the courthouse when my husband came over on the K1 visa and we are now planning our bigger wedding celebration). When she applies for the visa in this situation, do you think we should still include a letter of invitation and proof of the wedding reception/details/etc.?

My husband's parents will also try to apply for a tourist visa around April/May to attend our wedding next September too.

Again, I know it's completely up to the consulate to decide at the moment of the interview, but opinions on how to strengthen their chances of obtaining the tourist visa is completely appreciated :star:

My wife was denied a tourist visa the first time back in 2008. My friends in Kansas wrote their state representative to "look into the matter". Not sure if that had any bearing, but she applied a couple of weeks later and was approved. She was also approved the next year. Now we are wondering if her mother will qualify for a visa. I really wish we would get rid of the whole tourist visa and have the VWP for most countries.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Other Timeline

A visitor's visa is based on two main components:

1) Strong ties to Peru

2) No ties to the U.S.

So if your sister-in-law shows the consular officer that she has a sister who lives permanently in the U.S., those are ties that don't help, but hurt. It's possible that the C.O. is an understanding individual and says: " I understand, a wedding, how beautiful, have fun!" but it's also possible that he or she says something along the lines: "I'm sorry, I can't approve you."

Since none of us knows which C.O. will get the case, what their mood is, and how they tick, I would play it safe and keep the invitation in the purse until being asked directly for the reason of the visit. Like in court, submit everything that helps your case, but do not volunteer anything that's not being asked for if it could potentially hurt you. Some doors are better kept unopened.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My wife was denied a tourist visa the first time back in 2008. My friends in Kansas wrote their state representative to "look into the matter". Not sure if that had any bearing, but she applied a couple of weeks later and was approved. She was also approved the next year. Now we are wondering if her mother will qualify for a visa. I really wish we would get rid of the whole tourist visa and have the VWP for most countries.

Dave

State Rep or Senators don't have any influence on the tourist visa, they only intervene when it is related to immediate spouse or family of a US citizen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.