jonDutch

She had a tourist visa and I married her. Help me keep her here...

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It is always SO entertaining when those who filed K1 etc get involved in an AOS from Tourist or other visa.

Just a quick note Aloe. "Those who filed K1" originally commented because that's the forum the OP chose to post in and not all us K1 trolls piled on the OP. Is there a problem posting outside of one's visa category forum?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The main problem I see especially on this subject is people posting #######.

If you do not know shut up.

Do not post what you think is 'right', nobody is interested.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just a quick note Aloe. "Those who filed K1" originally commented because that's the forum the OP chose to post in and not all us K1 trolls piled on the OP. Is there a problem posting outside of one's visa category forum?

The main problem I see especially on this subject is people posting #######.

If you do not know shut up.

Do not post what you think is 'right', nobody is interested.

I think Boiler pretty much sums it up with "If you don't know, shut up."

However, to answer your questions more directly, of course there is not a problem with answering outside of one's visa category. That's the beauty of VJ, so many people ARE so well informed in so many different visa categories they can help a lot of different people. The problem is when people decide to jump on a poster when they have NO clue what they are talking about and they give incorrect and in some cases information that can be VERY damaging to the OP, and it's all fueled by an anger or jealousy or WHATEVER you would like to defend it with. There is no reason for it.

The OP in this case happened upon the misfortune of posting in the incorrect forum and instead of people ignoring the post they jumped on it like vultures and ripped him to shreds and gave him THEIR opinions claiming it was advice when even you, I'm sure, can tell it was far from correct. There is absolutely NO excuse for it. The fact that he posted in the K1 forum doesn't matter, it was an honest mistake and that didn't give any of these people the right to say what they did, not to mention they were jumping the gun by providing the WRONG information when they didn't even have all the facts. If the entire VJ website was like this there would be absolutely no value in it, the ONLY time you should post is if you know for a FACT that what you are saying is correct and if you are not you should state that it requires further research or ask for a more informed opinion on what you have already stated. If it wasn't like this I could go around all of the posts and misinform people based on the fact that I don't like the dynamic of their relationship or the country that they are immigrating from and hope that somehow it affects their status here all because I don't agree with it and I'm sure that wouldn't sit too well with you.

Now let's clear a few things up before you start nit picking. I KNOW that all K1 petitioners do not feel the same way, I know that all K1 petitioners did not post and I know I should have worded my original post differently. I have nothing against those in the K1 process I wish you the best of luck and hope you all receive speedy approvals if that is what you are hoping for. My post was directed at those people who did post the misinformation. I sincerely apologise for any offense I may have unintentionally caused. Also wanted to clear up I don't have anything against anyone marrying whoever they want that was a hypothetical type situation.

VJ is a great place but not when posts are hijacked by people who are more interested in their self gain and what they could and couldn't do. Let's stick to the facts people. Once again in Boiler's wise and wonderful words "If you don't know, shut up."

I really don't have this much time on my hands to post but I did because when I first joined VJ some people had me shaking in my boots thinking I was NEVER EVER going to be allowed back into the U.S. just because I had THOUGHT about marrying my Husband and if I had have listened I wouldn't be with him right now all because a bunch of misinformed asses!

Anyway let's get back ON TOPIC and hope the OP wasn't scared away from a great place like VJ because of all this. :ot2:

Edited by Aloe

11/18/08 - Arrived in U.S. on B2 visa

02/05/09 - Extended return plane ticket to stay for an extra 3 months

04/23/09 - Decided we didn't want to be apart even though we extended the stay and got married!

04/30/09 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765 from B2 (no I-693 as it is not yet complete.)

05/03/09 - Received email form USPS stating that package had arrived safely and was signed for!

05/11/09 - Received NOA1's for I-130/I-485/I-765

05/16/09 - Received Biometrics Appointment

05/30/09 - Received a CRAZY amount of RFE's that were dated 05/21/09

06/01/09 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled. In and out in 10 minutes!! Sent off RFE information (Should arrive in MO on Wed.)

06/03/09 - USCIS received RFE response

07/23/09 - I called to have a service request put in

07/24/09 - I-765 Touched (FINALLY)

07/25/09 - I-765 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!! (About time!)

08/03/09 - EAD card came in the mail WOOHOO!!!

08/07/09 - Interview letter arrived

09/02/09 - Interview Date

09/07/09 - I think this is the day I received my Green Card.. Can't quite remember anymore.

Removal Of Conditions

08/03/11 - WOW it's already been TWO years! Sent ROC package to VSC.

08/05/11 - NOA1 date which arrived 8/10/2011

09/02/11 - Bio Appointment the notice was dated 8/12/11

Well said, Aloe. I have a serious peeve with the folks who just post "go home and do it the right way" regardless of situation/facts implying that to do otherwise is just negligence and an attempt to get over the system. Why hinder someone from finding the happiness you've found? Every AOS path taken is hard, it is expensive, involves a lot of waiting and a lot of guesswork where you wonder if there's anything you've ever done that could become a problem. I think K-1's (not all, naturally, but many of them) need to not think they were given the short end of the stick. It's hard no matter which way you AOS, period.

Our timeline:

1993: Met at the age of 9, best friends ever since

2007: Admitted what we both knew all along...

December 25,2008: He proposed!!!!

May 9, 2009: Got married

May 10th, 2011: Date that lawyer claimed he mailed out AOS package

July 14th, 2011: Date that lawyer *actually* mailed out AOS package

July 18th, 2011: USCIS started processing our application

July 30th, 2011: Received Biometrics Appointment (8/11/11)

August 1st, 2011: Successful Biometrics walk-in

August 3rd, 2011: Received all NOA hard copies

September 12, 2011: Card production notice for EAD (!!!)

September 13, 2011: I765 touched

September 19, 2011: EAD arrived in the mail

December 28, 2011: Received email notification of our interview date

February 1, 2012: Interview

February 29, 2012: Approval notice via email(!!!)

March 7, 2012: Card arrives in the mail (!!!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.