David And Katie

I-864 - no tax transcripts for joint sponsor

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Recently got married and am putting all the stuff together for the AOS package.

I read the I-864 form and instructions, and I notice it says you need to attach tax transcripts (or is it the full tax return?). The mother in law is my joint-sponsor as the dear wife doesn't make enough (17,900).

However, the mother in law and father in law have some assets they don't wish to disclose to the USCIS - they're shares in companies. I know, I know, if they've filed taxes then the government already knows about them, so what's the big deal. I don;t know guys, but they don't want the USCIS/DHS knowing about these stocks/shares.

So - my question is - can we do what we did for the London Interview and the affidavit of support for that? Just have the letter from employer and pay stubs, or do we NEED the tax returns/transcripts.

If the latter is true, can we "redact" the "sensitive" information that my parents in law don't wish to share?

Yours,

David.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

14 Sep 2010 - Mailed in I-129F.

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

09 Jun 2011 - Visa in hand.

13 Aug 2011 - Wedding day.

AOS Timeline:

14 Oct 2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD forms.

21 Oct 2011 - NOA for AOS/EAD.

05 Nov 2011 - Case transferred to CSC.

08 Nov 2011 - Biometrics.

29 Dec 2011 - EAD in hand.

05 Jan 2012 - I-485 Approved (AOS).

11 Jan 2012 - I-551/Permanent Resident Card in hand.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sponsors need to include a full tax return or transcript. If they won't comply, find another joint sponsor.

edit: No need to include asset info if the joint sponsor qualifies on income.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I personally don't recall any mention of stocks etc on our tax returns (or a field for it). They do not NEED to disclose assets.

To answer your other qn though... no they can't redact info. That would look all kinds of dodgy.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Ok, so my next question is. Does the I-864 need tax transcripts, or the full return? The shares show up on the tax transcript but only as amounts, from what I remember, not the individual stuff. Someone will be along to correct me soon, I'm sure.

We used her mom for the visa process - would it look dodgy if we found another co-sponsor?

I guess we can talk to her folks - I don't really know why they'd be worried about another government department seeing what/how much in shares they have. But oh well.

Edit: I used the word assets to mean what my parents in law hold in stocks/shares which they are concerned show up on tax transcripts.

Edited by David And Katie

David.

K-1 Timeline:

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

AOS Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ok, so my next question is. Does the I-864 need tax transcripts, or the full return? The shares show up on the tax transcript but only as amounts, from what I remember, not the individual stuff. Someone will be along to correct me soon, I'm sure.

We used her mom for the visa process - would it look dodgy if we found another co-sponsor?

I guess we can talk to her folks - I don't really know why they'd be worried about another government department seeing what/how much in shares they have. But oh well.

Edit: I used the word assets to mean what my parents in law hold in stocks/shares which they are concerned show up on tax transcripts.

either tax transcripts or a tax return that includes all schedules, w2's and any other attachments that were filed with it, which is why the transcripts are often better.

No doesn't matter if you want another co-sponsor.

As you said, USCIS can get all that info anyway. Probably now what colour her underwear is. i wouldn't stress but maybe she's concerned they'll come after her first because she has lots of money or something? lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

The tax transcripts will show dividend income from stocks if any were earned, and capital gain or loss from stocks if any were sold. Tax transcripts do not show names of what stocks are held or sold, and they don't show the value of the holdings that remain.

But, tax returns will show some information about what companies you earn dividends in, or have sold stock from - it is on the Schedule B and Schedule D respectively.

I suggest you have them order a tax transcript to see what information is on it and set their mind at ease if that is what they are worried about.

Thanks guys/girls... I appreciate it. I will show them Katie's tax transcripts.

David.

K-1 Timeline:

08 Feb 2011 - NOA 2.

AOS Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.