Jacksonj51

Prenup...?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm sorry if this post offends anyone which I don't want to do since this forum has been so helpful to me and everyone involved but I would like to get serious for a moment. When all the waiting and excitement settles in has anyone thought about any prenuptual agreements?

Assuming that not everyone here is potentially marrying someone wealthy(your fiance(e)) I have long thought about the process in which this can be handled without hurting any feelings. Again I do not want to insinuate anything here however, is it too inappropiate to think about the demise of a marriage 5 to 10 years down the line?

Indeed, with approximately 1/3 of all first marriages, and nearly ½ of all second and third marriages, ending in divorce, a prenuptial agreement may be seen not only as practical but as necessary. Without such agreements, the state may either grant each spouse one-half of the marital assets (if they live in a community property state ) or divide the assets based on an “equitable distribution” (if they live in a non-community property state).

Also I factor in the culturalative differences and the fact that I have met and spoken to so many people with K-1 failed marriages.

In any event, hoping not to get too many of you angry with me I was just wondering if anyone else out there has these same thoughts and if there is an easy way to handle this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

my mother and I had a discussion about this.

You do what you have to do is all I can say, but I would suggest that you talk about this with your fiance especially if she or he is leaving allot behind to come here.

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

nope - would never do it -- unless it was a marriage of convience - for love - -nothing else is important and besides - the goverment kinda provides a mini one for you --

August 2003 met my sweet viktoria online

January 2004 feeling the love..heart.gif

November 2004 Really wanting to meet

August 04, 2005 first moments together St Petersburgdance.gif

August 11, 2005 Proposed marraigehearton.gif

Sept 12, 2005 129f received at TSC mail.gif

Sept 16, 2005 NOA1 received From CSC

Oct 26, 2005 date i had expected to receive my NOA2

(past now with this forever july 7 issue new expected -never)

well maybe not -i expect in about 4 months

Nov 14 NOA2

Dec 7 Sent to embassy

Jan 17 interview - got visa!

If this is something you would do whether you married another USC or not then I dont think its odd..if however you would NOT do this for a USC then I'd ask myself why not.

Marriage is a partnership and its also a risk - for her just as much as you (or reverse the sexes if you're a female).

The ideal situation - if you can call it that - would be that at divorce you BOTH end up with something, rather than nothing. The non-USC may be giving up a lot, including financial independence and stability just to come over to marry the USC. What are they supposed to do if a genuinely entered into marriage breaks down? Live on the streets? :huh:

However, Im not doing any pre-nup even tho as the non-USC Im better off financially - I'm not thinking about divorce cos I dont want to start off married life looking at ways it might FAIL.

My 2 cents.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope. I just asked him too and nope from him too. Personally I feel if you go into it thinking it will fail you are doomed.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

When my husband and I got married, we were both poor college students with no assets. So, we obviously didn't need a prenup.

I think prenups can be a good idea if both partners are agreeable to it; however, if one feels pressured and unhappy, then it can definitely cause some problems in the marriage.

Good luck!

Ksenia

J1-F1-AOS-N400

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
nope - would never do it -- unless it was a marriage of convience - for love - -nothing else is important and besides - the goverment kinda provides a mini one for you --
If this is something you would do whether you married another USC or not then I dont think its odd..if however you would NOT do this for a USC then I'd ask myself why not.

Marriage is a partnership and its also a risk - for her just as much as you (or reverse the sexes if you're a female).

The ideal situation - if you can call it that - would be that at divorce you BOTH end up with something, rather than nothing. The non-USC may be giving up a lot, including financial independence and stability just to come over to marry the USC. What are they supposed to do if a genuinely entered into marriage breaks down? Live on the streets? :huh:

However, Im not doing any pre-nup even tho as the non-USC Im better off financially - I'm not thinking about divorce cos I dont want to start off married life looking at ways it might FAIL.

My 2 cents.

:yes::thumbs:

My fiance and I agree that you can't have a relationship without trust and the feeling that no mater what happens you'll always want this person to be safe, because you love, right? Now if you have any doubts in your mind, you should first make sure that this person is worth of your trust. But that's only our opinion! :thumbs:

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

If you enter a marriage with a prenup, you're setting yourself up for failure. I think marriage is a matter of faith. If my marriage ended, the last thing I'd be thinking about is finances. I'd be crushed and inconsolabe. Maybe rich people think differently. I don't know.

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We're not rich so we haven't even talked about it :lol:

We talked....don't need it....plan on growing VERY old together....:)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

we have ours.. and it doesnt make me feel bad or make our relationship to be anything less... we are not thinking about getting divorce.. and would try hard to save the marriage if anything happen...

so if u think u'd want to have one.. ask your fiance about it.. make sure that she/he know what's on your mind and make it fair to both of you.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Personally, I believe that if you, as an individual have significant assets to protect in the event of a failed marriage then there's absolutely a reason to pursue getting a prenuptial.

I did this myself as I have moderate wealth. There are ways, and means, to introduce this sensitive subject to your fiance(e) without alienating them (no pun intended).

The wrong way is to claim that what is yours is yours prior to marriage and anything you aquire while married is joint, or marital property.

The right way to put it is that, upon dissolution of marriage that property attained by you (assuming your the one protecting assets) is yours, and exclusively yours, if any of the following reasons for the marriage to end come to fruition:

irreconcilable differences

committing adultery

spousal abuse (on her part)

And many other circumstances and caveats...............................

If properly written, the prenuptial should also spell out the circumstances by which your property will revert to your spouse, assuming your spouse is faithful and true to the marriage, as in your sudden death.

There are many here that become quite emotional over this subject but I think that the only people that really give this option serious consideration are of course those that have significant holdings, property and wealth to protect in the likelihood the marriage is dissolved through divorce.

It's clearly the "smart" thing to do, especially if you have significant assets.

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

we have ours.. and it doesnt make me feel bad or make our relationship to be anything less... we are not thinking about getting divorce.. and would try hard to save the marriage if anything happen...

so if u think u'd want to have one.. ask your fiance about it.. make sure that she/he know what's on your mind and make it fair to both of you. and she/he also can add whatever in it too.

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

i think if you have considerable financial/residential/business assets you would be a fool not to try and protect them when entering a new marriage.

it is all nice and lovely and hollywood to think that love lasts for ever, but reality says that it doesn't for almost 1/2 of us. you also need to consider how you feel now is NOT going to be how you feel, should you be presented with a spouse who wants to divorce you, especially if you then have children involved ... trust me! :thumbs:

business is business ... i would definitely present this to your fiancee and have a nice, open discussion about it.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.