Debbie and Abdol

security checks

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi again...

I was wondering if anyone has any info about security checks performed against the FBI/CIA databases. I'm not sure at what stage they are done but, according to the book [/u]US Immigration Made Easy, they are performed on most nationalities...apparently you fill out a DS form for this from Packet 4...??? According to the book, they can add months to a visa approval.

My husband (Iranian in Germany) filled out such a DS form when he filed for a B1 visitor's visa 2 years ago. They never finished processing the visa because our travel dates came and went before the security check was completed. :(

HELP??

Our timeline...

I-130/CR-1

10/7-12/29/05: NOA 1+2

8/10/06: case received in Frankfurt--get letter asking for more info

think we'll adjust in the states...

K3

2/7/06: NOA 2

4/24/06: Interview in Copenhagen

5/17/06: Sent additional info. requested

8/9/06: e-mail from embassy that they are ready to issue visa

8/23/06: visa in hand

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It can add a month or so, but sometimes it can add up to a year or so. I think the longest I saw was 2 years. But that is unusual.

What they actually do is not detailed, not sure if it matters as there is nothing you can do about it anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html

http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/Consular...ng_20050524.htm

Security clearances start once an application starts processing. The USC has a check and then so does the person being petitioned to come to the USA. This is just two of many articles on security checks. I can tell you once you are in the processing nothing or no one can help to expediate the checks. You will just have to stay positive and take it one day at a time.

At the interview once they take the fingerprints they start a new set of checks. It can be resolved immediately or it can go on for like Boiler said I had heard of one lasting two years. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline
http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html

http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/Consular...ng_20050524.htm

Security clearances start once an application starts processing. The USC has a check and then so does the person being petitioned to come to the USA. This is just two of many articles on security checks. I can tell you once you are in the processing nothing or no one can help to expediate the checks. You will just have to stay positive and take it one day at a time.

At the interview once they take the fingerprints they start a new set of checks. It can be resolved immediately or it can go on for like Boiler said I had heard of one lasting two years. Good luck.

Mary

Thanks--very informative sites! Wish I could do something to expediate it...

Our timeline...

I-130/CR-1

K3

Timeline

Your welcome. I know but we cannot just like I am stuck in Adminstrative Processing. Right now just have to pray for patience and understanding and hopefully our embassy will update our case soon.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I guess I can understand the "hit" and needing to further checking, but really, what do you do in a country where people don't use lastnames or where everyone's last name is like "Smith" in the US?

I would think having additional detials like birthdates should help them figure out if the applicant is the true hit list person, or just happens to share the same name or surname.

Just ranting here....but it would also be nice if they knew the "hit" BEFORE the individual was interviewed so he/she could do their fingerprint checks etc, while watiting for the interview and killing time anyway. If everything comes to the US FBI database, they should know the name has a "hit" when approving applications and when putting them into the system for visas during the I130 or I129 process.

If everything comes to the US FBI database, they should know the name has a "hit" when approving applications and when putting them into the system for visas during the I130 or I129 process.

The link for USCIS Alien Security Checks in my signature has some very interesting and somewhat complexing answers (or creates further questions) to that :unsure: (albiet long winded)

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I guess I can understand the "hit" and needing to further checking, but really, what do you do in a country where people don't use lastnames or where everyone's last name is like "Smith" in the US?

I would think having additional detials like birthdates should help them figure out if the applicant is the true hit list person, or just happens to share the same name or surname.

Just ranting here....but it would also be nice if they knew the "hit" BEFORE the individual was interviewed so he/she could do their fingerprint checks etc, while watiting for the interview and killing time anyway. If everything comes to the US FBI database, they should know the name has a "hit" when approving applications and when putting them into the system for visas during the I130 or I129 process.

I believe they only check approved otherwise application, so that would be impractical.

In the example you give, not sure to what extent birthdates are absolute, and rather assumes that there are precise birthdates for all on the watch list, which seems unlikely.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Your welcome. I know but we cannot just like I am stuck in Adminstrative Processing. Right now just have to pray for patience and understanding and hopefully our embassy will update our case soon.

OH no...what is "administrative processing"? Sounds like something they'd do to an Iranian...

Our timeline...

I-130/CR-1

K3

Timeline

OH no...what is "administrative processing"? Sounds like something they'd do to an Iranian...

Debbie I can tell you that more than likey you will have some type of Administrative Processing or Administrative Review because of where you husband is living and coming from. Very few men coming from the ME/Asia do not have these longer waits. Administrative processing is where they verify his background, the marriage, or his work and it is triggered by their jobs and where they live in certain countries.

Administrative Review is usually the name has had some type of hit in a data base and has to be cleared. AR is also for missing documents at time of interview. You can have AP and then AR too afterwards. When dealing with these checks once they are started you just have to wait them out. It is a matter of National security so they cannot hurry or expediate the checks. I will tell you that once the checks start the embassy, dos, fbi, and any other agency all have to agree to issue the visa. If 4 out of 5 groups approve they cannot issue the visa until all 5 agencies agree to clear the case.

Hope I helped to explain it a little.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

I know what you're going through. I live in US and my fiancé is in Germany. He is also an Iranian. We've applied for a K1 visa and been waiting for his background check since our approved I129F was sent to NVC last year in May. I guess they do a lot of checking on Iranians even before they go for their interview and fingerprints. It's very frustrating since you can't do much and just have to wait. Like someone else said just pray. I know how you feel. I’m with you. :(

3/24/11 Received 10 year Green Card in the mail - Done. Feels good :-) 'till we do this again for US Citizenship.

12/5/11 mailed packet for Naturalization

12/9/11 was received by USCIS.

4/6/12 received letter for fingerprint appn.

4/23/12 9am fingerprint appointment - done :-)

4/30/12 Recieved Letter for Interview - Sche. 5/31

5/31/12 Interview & Testing

5/31/12 Testing Approved - Waiting for next step

6/21/12 Rcvd email, placed application in the oath sched. que :-)

6/25/12 Rcvd letter - Oath Ceremony is on 7/11/12 @ 9:15am :-)

Timeline
Hi,

I know what you're going through. I live in US and my fiancé is in Germany. He is also an Iranian. We've applied for a K1 visa and been waiting for his background check since our approved I129F was sent to NVC last year in May. I guess they do a lot of checking on Iranians even before they go for their interview and fingerprints. It's very frustrating since you can't do much and just have to wait. Like someone else said just pray. I know how you feel. I’m with you. :(

OH God....I knew it would be hard but this is really depressing...all I can say is all the best to both of you!!

Debbie I can tell you that more than likey you will have some type of Administrative Processing or Administrative Review because of where you husband is living and coming from. Very few men coming from the ME/Asia do not have these longer waits. Administrative processing is where they verify his background, the marriage, or his work and it is triggered by their jobs and where they live in certain countries.

Administrative Review is usually the name has had some type of hit in a data base and has to be cleared. AR is also for missing documents at time of interview. You can have AP and then AR too afterwards. When dealing with these checks once they are started you just have to wait them out. It is a matter of National security so they cannot hurry or expediate the checks. I will tell you that once the checks start the embassy, dos, fbi, and any other agency all have to agree to issue the visa. If 4 out of 5 groups approve they cannot issue the visa until all 5 agencies agree to clear the case.

Hope I helped to explain it a little.

I had suspected as much. How frustrating :( I wish you all the and will keep following your posts!

Our timeline...

I-130/CR-1

K3

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

It is very frustrating and depressing :( I just hope for all of us to stay strong and get some positive feedback soon.

Keep us posted Debbie.

Take care,

Yasi :star:

3/24/11 Received 10 year Green Card in the mail - Done. Feels good :-) 'till we do this again for US Citizenship.

12/5/11 mailed packet for Naturalization

12/9/11 was received by USCIS.

4/6/12 received letter for fingerprint appn.

4/23/12 9am fingerprint appointment - done :-)

4/30/12 Recieved Letter for Interview - Sche. 5/31

5/31/12 Interview & Testing

5/31/12 Testing Approved - Waiting for next step

6/21/12 Rcvd email, placed application in the oath sched. que :-)

6/25/12 Rcvd letter - Oath Ceremony is on 7/11/12 @ 9:15am :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.