aa&bb

Help, Advice needed on Travelling plans while waiting for interview appointment

8 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask your advice on the timeframe between the NOA1 and the interview appointment for AOS. Hubby and I are planning a trip to visit his mom in September for 2-3 weeks. I would like to know if it would be OK as I do not want the appointment letter for the interview to come while we are gone.

We have just received the appointment letter for biometrics and it is to be on the 23rd of August. We have received the email/sms notification of receipt of our AOS application on 1st August. So it says we should get our NOA within 7-10 days.

Is it reasonable to think that the appointment letter will not be in another two months? so not until october?

Also, if the appointment letter should come while we are gone, can we reschedule that interview appointment? We will have a friend housesit so we will get any notification of mail from the friend while we are gone.

Thank you for any advice/experience you can give me.

September 4, 2010 - I-129 F package sent via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.

September 7, 2010 - Per delivery confirmation, delivered in Dallas, TX 75266.

September 16, 2010 - Received I-797C Notice of Action by mail (NOA 1). Received date 09/07/2010. Notice date 09/10/2010.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Expecting AP that soon so you can travel is a long shot.

Cannot leave without AP card or Green Card.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I'm sorry I should have been clearer in my first post in that we are NOT travelling outside of the USA. We are just going out of the currant State we are living in, and going on a road trip across the US from East to West. Thank you for any help you can give me though!

September 4, 2010 - I-129 F package sent via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation.

September 7, 2010 - Per delivery confirmation, delivered in Dallas, TX 75266.

September 16, 2010 - Received I-797C Notice of Action by mail (NOA 1). Received date 09/07/2010. Notice date 09/10/2010.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask your advice on the timeframe between the NOA1 and the interview appointment for AOS. Hubby and I are planning a trip to visit his mom in September for 2-3 weeks. I would like to know if it would be OK as I do not want the appointment letter for the interview to come while we are gone.

We have just received the appointment letter for biometrics and it is to be on the 23rd of August. We have received the email/sms notification of receipt of our AOS application on 1st August. So it says we should get our NOA within 7-10 days.

Is it reasonable to think that the appointment letter will not be in another two months? so not until october?

Also, if the appointment letter should come while we are gone, can we reschedule that interview appointment? We will have a friend housesit so we will get any notification of mail from the friend while we are gone.

yes you can reschedule that interview appointment but you can t leave us with no AP,and if you reschedule that interview appointment like i did will be a delay of 3 4 weeks in the process i suggest you guys to wait for the Ap is going to be ready in 2 or 3 months .Good luck and God bless.

If God is for us, who can be against us." Romans 8:31

I'm sorry I should have been clearer in my first post in that we are NOT travelling outside of the USA. We are just going out of the currant State we are living in, and going on a road trip across the US from East to West. Thank you for any help you can give me though!

you can travel in the US but be sure you have your marriage certificate with you if you travel by plane they ask me for mine .

If God is for us, who can be against us." Romans 8:31

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

If you get an interview, it might not be until Oct or later, but you just never know. It is difficult to change an AOS appointment, and those I have seen successfully change one, had to wait months for a reschedule. Since someone will be watching your house, have them watch out for mail about your immigration papers, and if an appointment letter arrives while you are out of town, then you can always adjust your trip to return home in time for the interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

yes you can reschedule that interview appointment but you can t leave us with no AP,and if you reschedule that interview appointment like i did will be a delay of 3 4 weeks in the process i suggest you guys to wait for the Ap is going to be ready in 2 or 3 months .Good luck and God bless.

Just a little note here. while it IS possible to change the AOS interview it is NOT recommended. Way too often USCIS doesn't do the change properly and people have gotten denied saying they never arrived at their scheduled interview. They got it fixed eventually but that's a stress I wouldn't want to risk.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello Everyone,

nothing is ever "for sure" with USCIS so it's good that you have someone checking the mail for you but you should also have plans in place in case you're scheduled for interview so you can return for it (see my previous post above about rescheduling the interview). It's also possible that you could get an RFE in this time and failure to reply to an RFE in time results in AOS denial so make sure you're prepared to deal with that from wherever you are.

I personally feel it's a bit too risky to travel during the process BUT the process could also take a while so it sounds like having the friend house-sit, and hopefully a scanner in your house so she can scan and email you your USCIS mail is the best option.

Good luck!

p.s. regarding interview rescheduling... there have been times where USCIS has sent out notices cancelling interviews for "unforeseen circumstances" and it's advised to go to those anyway as there have been many instances when people HAVE gone that the local office had no idea about the rescheduled/cancelled interview so they would have been denied for not going.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.