Gary and Alla

Alla Graduates, Finally!

150 posts in this topic

Great job, Alla!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Seriously, my hat's off to you. I couldn't cope with so many things at this stage of my life. Having my wife's son come over is already stressing me out and the monetary impact is not small. My wife doesn't have a job at the moment and soon that will become a bigger issue. She doesn't like standing all day in a retail store...but not much else available. I guess it'll be one day at a time for awhile.

The impression we get from our circle of FSU friends is that it's hard to get their foreign degrees to be taken seriously. We know people who were professionals in their country, but because they don't have a US degree are only maintenance people or work in retail. Her best option if she doesn't want to work a non-professional job (and I can't blame here!) is to start working on a US degree.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Congrats Alla and Gary!

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Congratulations to Alla and Gary, too. Alla has worked hard and Gary has been very supportive. Now you both deserve the party and a rest [...]
That, and (after solemn rumination and careful consideration) the official designations of A-Bone and G-Bone, si man. Welcome to the official club, si (wo)man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Good Job, Alla!

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Congrats! My recommendation would be for her to continue going strong...She seems to have a motivation that not many people have. She could probably get a Doctorate in something related...

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations. I know you are both pleased and proud at this accomplishment. Enjoy your well-earned holidays :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

The impression we get from our circle of FSU friends is that it's hard to get their foreign degrees to be taken seriously. We know people who were professionals in their country, but because they don't have a US degree are only maintenance people or work in retail. Her best option if she doesn't want to work a non-professional job (and I can't blame here!) is to start working on a US degree.

Depends. The State of Vermont took Alla's foreign degrees very seriously and would issue her a teaching certificate (for Russian) right off. And science degrees seem to be more accepted than say, language arts. The fact is that in the USA and many other countries, they prefer native speaking teachers for ESL classes. Even foreign countries often require that ESL teachers at least have education from a native English speaking country.

Actually All has been extremely happy with doing her interpretations and is hoping to expand that now that she will have more time. She even took a class in Anatomy and Physiology so she can be a better interpreter for medical patients which is her most common request...she crammed that in among her other studies and ace'd it.

As I have said before, we plan for me to retire in a few years and for Alla to take some foreign teaching assignments. She will be a citizen and can travel and have "working vacations" in different parts of the world. We both love to travel, the kids will be grown and we can live well on what will basically be a part time job.

She was trained as a teacher in Ukraine, loves to teach but the pay scale for teachers in Ukraine was so dismal she just could not do it.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Congrats! My recommendation would be for her to continue going strong...She seems to have a motivation that not many people have. She could probably get a Doctorate in something related...

LOL, she is applying for a Doctorate program at UVM, the deadline is December 1, 2011 for next year. OH NO! Here we go again! :lol:

That, and (after solemn rumination and careful consideration) the official designations of A-Bone and G-Bone, si man. Welcome to the official club, si (wo)man.

:lol:

Thanks T-Bone!

Gary And Alla

She was trained as a teacher in Ukraine, loves to teach but the pay scale for teachers in Ukraine was so dismal she just could not do it.

Not only is it typically hardly enough to live on, but because unemployment is so high the administration usually treats the staff pretty crappy, knowing that they don't have a lot of options. One of our acquaintances taught English to business students, and it wasn't unheard of for them to call her up on her day off, demanding that she come in to fill in for another teacher or be fired. "Labor code?" What's that?

Glad to hear things in your state are better than most. Wish more were like that, so many professionals come over and have to settle for blue collar jobs, just seems like a waste of their skills.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

Congrats to Alla...and my sympathies to you Gary. I don't know where you get the time, energy and money to deal with such a life! School, jobs, trips to Ukraine, step kids, college, a house, cars...damn!

What is your secret? Please tell me...I need help! :help:

Seriously, my hat's off to you. I couldn't cope with so many things at this stage of my life. Having my wife's son come over is already stressing me out and the monetary impact is not small. My wife doesn't have a job at the moment and soon that will become a bigger issue. She doesn't like standing all day in a retail store...but not much else available. I guess it'll be one day at a time for awhile.

First of all it is my favorite thing in life to do things with my family, it is what makes me happy. I am not too happy without them. I never go shooting by myself and really would rather stay home than go fishing by myself. I am looking for something new to do all the time, I get to do it also so why not? Thank goodness for that because they make use of it. :lol: I will admit that there were times I was NOT pleased staying up until 2 or 3 am waiting to review something Alla was writing for the next day. In case you wondered why I was posting on VJ at 2am when I could be "sleeping naked with Alla" it was because she was up late studying and I do not go to bed without her. I usually had to proofread her writing before she went to bed. There were times I said "STOP!" Enough is enough. She never stopped.

She got a scholarship for 1/2 the tuition which we worked on (more than the visa) before she arrived. She started her education, seriously, 5 days after she arrived! She worked throughout her education, translations, interpretations, modeling, even worked in the college cafeteria as a cashier for a brief time. She made enough money to pay for the "other half", more or less. She refused, absolutely refused, to take a student loan. We had a couple of windfalls (nothing to retire on) in the way of bonuses and such and all that went to either her education or Sergey's. It was a priority. It is still a priority for the boys. Sergey now received a "full ride" for his master's degree, that will help a lot. Pasha was the top ranked male high school student for math in Vermont, so we have high hopes for him getting a good scholarship also.

I had my heart surgery in early December 2009 and haven't had a bad day since. I was going to the ski resort WITH Alla and Pasha before new years eve! (NO I was NOT skiing :lol: ) I sat in the lodge with a book, but it would just kill me not to be doing something with Alla or the boys.

Today I went fishing with Sergey. Tomorrow we are going back with Alla and going swimming (we found some new waterfalls and natural pools to play in :lol: ) Summer in Vermont is to-die-for. Winter sucks. :lol: Next Sunday we are going to go "shoot all the guns" and then Alla and Pasha will be going to Ukraine on Monday and Sergey and I will go later (when he goes back to school) So Sergey and I will be "batchin' it" for 3 weeks. :lol: Tater Tots and Goober Grape! All that bad sh*t Alla won't allow in the house AND we are going to shoot guns in the basement! (she hates that)

Having a student and two dependent children makes for good tax returns, those pay for the tickets to Ukraine (so far anyway)

My family IS my investment portfolio. I cannot do anything better with money than invest it in them. Good thing because there will be no "nest egg" to inherit when I croak off anyway. :lol: They spent it all now and I got to enjoy every penny of it! But they should all be well prepared to make their own way in life and two of four already are.

All I can say is...make your family your pleasure and joy and you will always be happy.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I think it is also important that both people have common goals and work together on something. I couldn't be more happy if I got the degree (I wasn't looking for one :lol: ) If one person has different ideas about family and children and goals, that would suck. One person is always going to feel resentment at the other, unless you have enough money that everyone can just do what they want Such is not the case here. :lol:

If one is a strict parent and thinks that children are a priority and that their well being is what the adults are here for, and the other doesn't...don't have kids! Now our sons are having sons(two so far!!!!) It never ends, thank goodness!

Gary And Alla

All I can say is...make your family your pleasure and joy and you will always be happy.

:thumbs:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Not only is it typically hardly enough to live on, but because unemployment is so high the administration usually treats the staff pretty crappy, knowing that they don't have a lot of options. One of our acquaintances taught English to business students, and it wasn't unheard of for them to call her up on her day off, demanding that she come in to fill in for another teacher or be fired. "Labor code?" What's that?

Glad to hear things in your state are better than most. Wish more were like that, so many professionals come over and have to settle for blue collar jobs, just seems like a waste of their skills.

You can make money doing things like teaching English to business students. That is not what Gary is talking about. Teachers in public schools in RUB are the ones who make basically no money. And yeah, if you want a place with a strict labor code and stuff like that, you can stay in America. If you decide to live/work in RUB, there are pluses and minuses and if you make the decision to go there, then you have to accept them.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.