gatoradenz

Do you still lose your birth countries citizenship?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I was told if I apply for USA citizenship I would lose my new zealand citizenship, but I've had friends take their usa citizenship & kept their nz passports. Can anybody confirm this for me? I don't want to lose my nz citizenship.

May 20 03 - Entered US via Bahamas. I-94 90 days visa waiver

July 18th 2003 - Married!!

July 20 03 - I-94 expired

Feb 28 05 - 3 sponsors pulled out.

March 1 05 - Friend earns enough to sponsor

March 11 05 - Joint sponsors papers recieved, ALL GO

March 11 05 - Medical Exam complete $180 Bakersfield CA

March 23 05 - 10.45am Infopass appt Fresno Office - File AOS

March 23 05 - Didn't accept legal birth cert, Need more info & new appt

March 30th 05 - AOS appt 1pm

March 30th 05 - 5 hour wait EAD authorised

April 15 05 - Fingerprinting letter received, Bakersfield

April 21 05 - SSN applied for

April 21 05 - Fingerprinting appt..

April 26 05 - SSN Letter of receipt received

April 30 2005 - SSN Card received

June 10 05 - CoA sent to Fresno

June 13 05 - AOS Interview letter received

June 17 05 - CoA confirmation letter received, File transfered to KC Office

June 27th 2005 - New interview date KC -July 27!

June 27th 2005 - AOS APPROVED IN 15 MINS!!!

Nov 1 05 - Letter sent for status

Nov 4 05 - Letter back, case still pending

Jan 17 06 - Official Letter of Approval for Perm Residency!

Feb 11 06 - I-171 Notice of action letter for approval. Online status approved I-181

Mar 1st 06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED, expires 2016!!! HOORAY its over!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not know about NZ, but for me it would be very difficult to get rid of my RF citizenship, even if I wanted to. A lot of paperwork and money. So no, you do not necessarily lose your native citizenship. Some countries take it away from you when you pledge allegiance to a foreign country, some don't.

Those that do not may or may not recognize dual citizenship. Russia does not. But they also don't care if I have any other citizenship.

Edited by OKflyboy

Ara & Anya - Tucson, Arizona

IR-5 for my (Anya's) mother
00 Filed: 03/08/2013

536 POE: 08/26/2014

Father

00 I-130 mailed to Phoenix Lockbox: 05/28/2014

455 POE LAX: 09/03/2015

Brother (9 years old, A2A through LPR mother)

I-130

00 Filed: 09/12/2014

03 Petition accepted at California Service Center, NOA-1 mailed: 09/15/2014

07 NOA-1 received; Priority date is 09/15/2014: 09/19/2014

176 RFE received: 03/07/2015

238 RFE response mailed to CSC: 05/08/2015

242 RFE response received at CSC; Decision to be made before 07/11/2015: 05/12/2015

308 Approved; NOA-2 mailed: 07/17/2015

314 NOA-2 received; Case sent to NVC: 07/23/2015

371 Welcome Letter received; Choice of Agent form submitted: 09/18/2015

374 AoS fee paid: 09/21/2015

416 IV fee paid; IV application submitted: 11/02/2015

452 IV and AoS packets mailed: 12/08/2015

455 Documents received at NVC; Waiting for CC: 12/11/2015

502 Case Complete; Wating for IL: 01/27/2016

504 Interview scheduled for 03/11/2016: 01/29/2016

523 Medical exam: 02/17/2016 Passed

546 Interview: 03/11/2016 PASSED!

549 Visa issued: 03/14/2016

588 POE LAX: 04/22/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I was told if I apply for USA citizenship I would lose my new zealand citizenship, but I've had friends take their usa citizenship & kept their nz passports. Can anybody confirm this for me? I don't want to lose my nz citizenship.

No you won't lose it. http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm No stress :)

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I believe that the US only recognizes your US Citizenship.

Read this link (under Part 1 beginning at 15): http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1977/0061/latest/whole.html#DLM443886

2BoFm4.png

Met - Feb. 2010

Ben ~> States - Oct. 2010

Ben ~> States - Dec. 2010 to Jan. 2011

Becky ~> NZ - March 2011

*starting IR-1/CR-1 soon... fingers crossed*

No you won't lose it. http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm No stress :)

Just a heads up that this list is not up to date. For example, my country of origin (Belgium) changed its legislation regarding dual citizenship in 2007, this went into effect in 2008. But this change is not reflected in the above mentioned document. So please be sure to check for more recent updates about New Zealand as well.

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Certainly a country dependent question, some countries just don't want to lose their natural born citizens. Like Colombia for example, wife would like to forget she was even born there. But not really sure if they want to keep her, they do let her leave provided she maintains her Colombian ID and passport. Really don't have receipts, they don't give that, most of it was paid with US cash, but sure it was over $1,500.00 US dollars.

My guess is they just wanted her cash. She really doesn't have any benefits by being a Colombian citizen, except for being able to visit her mom. Are there benefits to being a New Zealand citizen?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I believe that the US only recognizes your US Citizenship.

Read this link (under Part 1 beginning at 15): http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1977/0061/latest/whole.html#DLM443886

Yes this is true. But the US doesn't remove your other countries citizenship, or advise your home country that you took the oath. Some countries (not Australia, nor the UK, nor NZ) consider simply taking the oath to be you renouncing your home countries citizenship (like China.. and flying into china on a chinese passport when you have a US one is fraud and you can be arrested if caught, it's happened before). Some (like Aus) require you to withdraw in writing, simply taking the oath isn't enough.

Just a heads up that this list is not up to date. For example, my country of origin (Belgium) changed its legislation regarding dual citizenship in 2007, this went into effect in 2008. But this change is not reflected in the above mentioned document. So please be sure to check for more recent updates about New Zealand as well.

Yeah I know sorry should have mentioned that but I was in a hurry. I know that Aus and NZ and UK are fine and for those the site is "up to date" but nevertheless it is good advise that you should always check your home countries information. Note though that it's now no longer "dual citizenship" it's "dual nationality" so try searching both terms.

Filed: Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yes this is true. But the US doesn't remove your other countries citizenship, or advise your home country that you took the oath. Some countries (not Australia, nor the UK, nor NZ) consider simply taking the oath to be you renouncing your home countries citizenship (like China.. and flying into china on a chinese passport when you have a US one is fraud and you can be arrested if caught, it's happened before). Some (like Aus) require you to withdraw in writing, simply taking the oath isn't enough.

I knew some countries required paperwork in order to withdraw citizenship - I didn't know the exact rules for NZ (Benjamin isn't a citizen there) that's why I attached the link. But I know the US doesn't remove the other citizenship. I didn't know all of the rules - that's why I only mentioned the US recognizing only your US Citizenship. Sorry. I figured it was easier to tell what I did know than to include false information. By recognize - I didn't mean 'the only one' I meant - 'in their (US's) eyes it's the only one'. Sorry for the confusion.

2BoFm4.png

Met - Feb. 2010

Ben ~> States - Oct. 2010

Ben ~> States - Dec. 2010 to Jan. 2011

Becky ~> NZ - March 2011

*starting IR-1/CR-1 soon... fingers crossed*

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. Nz recognizes dual citizenship, my children although american born have it by descent. I just dont want to lose mine should we ever decide to move back.

Feb 11 06 - I-171 Notice of action letter for approval. Online status approved I-181

Filed: Other Timeline

It is completely irrelevant whether or not New Zealand recognizes dual citizenship or not. The US does not recognize dual citizenship, but doesn't object to their citizens holding another citizenship.

New Zealand permits their citizens to hold another citizenship since January 1, 1949, and a citizen of New Zealand won't lose their citizenship unless they exercise their "other" citizenship in a way that is not in the interest of New Zealand.

The former California governator, Arnold the Babarian, found himself in such a situation. Even before Austria allowed dual citizenship, he got special permission from the Austrian government to keep his Austrian citizenship when naturalizing as a US citizen. Then, when he signed various death penalty cases as a Governator, the Austrian government threatened to take away his Austrian citizenship based on the death penalty being against Austrian law, which in this case means that Arnold acted within US law but by doing so violated the law Austrian citizens have to obey by.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Arnold-Austria thing is interesting; Even in cases where dual citizenship is legally possible, and even recognized by at least one of the countries involved, things can get very grey and very dicey if you run for and win a "policy-level" office. Canada has issues with it's citizens being awarded titles of nobility or "policy-level" positions in other countries as well.

Canada, among many other countries, recognizes dual nationality, but ignores the renunciation clause of the US citizenship oath - you're a Canadian citizen for life unless you do some very specific paperwork at a Canadian consulate. Being a fellow Commonwealth country, NZ may be the same.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Look at this as that "place of birth" issue, neither the USCIS or the Department of State lets you forget where you were born because they plaster that on your US naturalization certificate and your US passport. Kids born here of illegals are US citizens.

Never had reason to apply for a US passport until I met my wife in Venezuela, my companies consistently sent me to Canada and Mexico, didn't need a passport for that, we covered strictly North America. Thought I was too valuable to be sent to 3rd world countries. All I needed to get my first US passport was my birth certificate, no history was required, like did I leave this country the day after I was born. Did speak to a DOS agent about delays, just told me was being checked to see if I was on the FBI hotlist. But since I met my wife, the USCIS was certainly interested in my history, but that was because I was marrying an immigrant. Don't have to deal with the USCIS just to get a US passport.

Feel all countries are that way, if you were born there, you are a citizen of that country for life. Wife didn't really have problems reestablishing her Colombian citizenship, hasn't live there in 30 years. But unlike here where you can apply directly, they make you go through those crooked notaries first that rob you blind. But we had to go through that as she had born in Colombia on her US passport, and they won't admit her without a Colombian passport because of that.

Her daughter easily got in with her US passport, because she was born in Venezuela. But she was kicking around going to school in Colombia, cheaper there than here, a hell of a lot cheaper. Since both of her parent were born in Colombia, all she needed was there birth certificates and hers to gain Colombian citizenship. None of that immigration stuff like here. But still those crooked notaries that do nothing more than go to their courthouses to get copies of the same stuff she already has originals of. She elected not to go, guess two weeks down there was enough for her. But the point is, not what you want that counts, to be a citizen of any country, but where you and your parents were born.

For the fun of it, I am third generation Italian and have my grandparents papers. Contacted the Italian consulate in Chicago, with those papers and even being third generation, they want me back as an Italian citizen. Because my grandparents were born there, no other reason.

Wife wanted no part of being a Colombian citizen, but had no choice if she wants to visit her family once or twice a year. I know the DOS calls it dual naturalization, a play on words. It dual citizenship, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And the only thing that counts is where you were born, and this never was done by choice that makes it even more ironic. Seems like just those communism countries make an issue of getting US citizenship. Expecting Venezuela to make an issue out of this soon.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Plain and simple, New Zealand recognizes dual citizen-ship so you will have no issues with getting US citizenship since like many other countries, your home country (New Zealand) will always consider you a citizen first and foremost regardless, and any other citizenships you acquire are meaningless in their eyes.

So you are perfectly fine to go for citizenship here and not have to worry...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Again thank you everyone for the replies..... Guess who's going for their usa citizenship!!!! yes this new zealander!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.