Dante & Geor

k-2 question

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not sure how Peru handles things, but I was born in Canada while my parents were on U.S. Air Force orders to a base that did not have medical facilities so I became a dual citizen at birth and due to some technical details there really isn't anything I can do about it. I just carry 2 passports, one for Canada and one from the U.S. The situation has it's good and bad features.

--Jim

04/24/11 - Visit Fiance in Phil.

05/01/11 - Return from Phil. (Fantastic trip)

05/03/11 - Signed up with RapidVisa to help putting paperwork together.

05/10/11 - Requested signed documents and such from Fiance

05/16/11 - Recieved signed documents from Fiance (DHL)

05/19/11 - Application sent to Texas Service Center

05/25/11 - NOA1 - Said case was transfered to California Service Center

08/16/11 - NOA2

09/02/11 - Application Fee's paid via BDO

09/05/11 - Interview Appointment Confirmation

09/12/11 - Medical Day 1

09/13/11 - Medical Day 2

- K2 passed and received vacinations

- K1 required Sputum Culture -- SLMEC -x-ray looked "cloudy"

09/15/11 - Interview date, (Canceled)

09/26/11 - Culture Day 1

09/28/11 - Culture Day 3 -- 1st part of testing Negative

11/03/11 - New Interview Appointment Confirmation for 12/05/11 (trying to avoid delay)

11/28/11 - Sputum Culture Negative

12/01/11 - Vacinations and retesting for K1, retesting for K2, Medical Cleared

12/05/11 - Interview - Given 221(g)

-- Wanted CENOMAR for daughter's father directly from NSO, she had a NSO origional document in hand

-- Required a police clearance from Japan even though it has been over 10 years.

12/06/11 - Applied to NSO for daughter's father's CENOMAR to be sent directly to NSO

12/07/11 - Applied to Japanese Embassy in Manila for Police Clearance

01/20/12 - Japanese Police Clearance is at the embassy

02/07/12 - Visa's issued

02/23/12 - K1 Visa Expired

02/26/12 - Flights to US

***** Big Mess ****

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Again, it's not fair. I don't want him becoming a USC just because his father is one!

I think you fail to realize, your son IS a U.S. citizen. Whether or not he has a passport to the US is irrelevant to him already being a US citizen by his birth to an American citizen. And if memory serves me correctly, I do believe his birth must be reported to US consulate. The reason for this is he IS a U.S. citizen and should something happen in your country or to you, he DOES have U.S. rights and protections afforded to him like every other U.S. citizen, and thereby the consulate should be informed. If he wishes when he is of age, he can renounce is U.S. citizenship in front of a US consulate officer. However, everyone in this forum is correct, for him to travel to the U.S., it will be using a U.S. passport as he IS a U.S. citizen...like it or not.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

If you feel that strongly about it, your son can still decide when he is 18 to renounce his US citizenship and only carry his Peruvian citizenship. It's really not that big of a deal if you are worried about him being able to make his own decision - he can still do that - it's a big deal to renounce citizenship though so he needs to be absolutely sure that's what he wants to do when he comes of age.

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Everybody here is pretty much telling you the same thing.

YOUR CHILD IS A US CITIZEN ALREADY, BY FACT THAT HIS FATHER IS A US CITIZEN. The choice of citizenship was decided when he was born. End of story. Finished.

Filing a CRBA is not mandatory. If you do file he will receive a US passport. He can then come to the US, AS A CITIZEN. If you do not file, he cannot come here. Explanations are listed above.

The only choice left, and it is HIS decision, is to renounce his US citizenship when he is older.

We all understand that you love your country and would like to have your child to be a Peruvian citizen but that possibility is now his decision. Not yours.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

no, the child is not a us citizen until he claims it... he never has to claim it. however, if he is to enter the usa, he must claim it. subtle but important difference.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

I didn't answer because I don't know the answer. I guess I have to find out over here...

Oh I forgot, when we got his birth certificate, we (hubby-to-be and I) both identified ourselves as peruvians, since my hubby-to-be happens to have identification number over here, because he get his citizenship when he was over 18... so his birth certificate states his mom and dad are peruvians

Peru does recognize dual citizenship (or multiple if more than 2). I should know, I happen to be one of those.

The birth certificate with both parents stating to be Peruvians could be problematic when doing the CRBA

Filed: Country: Peru
Timeline

I just finished this process for my son in Peru. He has dual nationality and a choice when he is able/old enough to decide. If you you do not file his CRBA you are taking his choice away. By doing so you are not deciding for him you are giving him options for his future. It is beyond my comphrehension that being said you would not file the CRBA. Heritage and citizenship are 2 completely different things. Give your son a choice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.